Fruit and vegie prices skyrocket

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Guest, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Link : http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/04/04/3181500.htm

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Missing my bananas...........
    $2.50 for the last one.

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I suppose you don't grow too many in tassie? Our plants have three bunches waiting for us to get them before the bats find them. They are only small but they taste great.

4. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

I went to get some Green beans yesterday they were 18.99 a KG. I don't ever remember paying that much!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

6. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are these the inflation figures they use where they strip out any indicators that don't support the 'low inflation' theme?
    You know like oil/energy/commodities/food/PM's (lol)...Just wondering what is actually left, and how is it not rising?
    aaahh that's right ....with house prices plummeting it all balances out...no problem ;)

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

8. white-metal-man

white-metal-man Member

saw this coming ages ago.......we just started a garden....also have some chickens in the back yard in a reasonable patch of garden.
    for over 5 years we have had fresh veges.....fresh eggs.....
    ...having a garden in the backyard is simple....easy to get started, easy to maintain.
    i make that a routine in my daily life as i make viewing and posting on SS....once you start...it becomes an addiction

9. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

I'd be willing to bet that's about the same percentage of people who actually HAVE a budget they try and stick to. Most people I know haven't even tried to make a budget.

10. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

WARNING! PUBLIC ALERT! THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MAY BE OF ASSISTANCE.

To those contemplating growing veges in your backyards without utilising raised garden beds, especially of you are in older suburbs or suburbs with a industrial history close by, i urge you to get the soil tested for lead. Lead contamination in these suburbs above may be particularly acute and may not be discussed openly for fear of a contamination certificate being slapped on the property and the subsequent difficulties in future sales. It may also be more widespread than you think and Council may not want to advertise the issue for fear of massive rehabilitation costs.

Fear not. You can determine how widespread the contamination is in your backyard. The cheapest way that i know of is through the 'Global Lead Advice and Support Service' (http://www.lead.org.au/clp/products/Do-It-Yourself-Lead-Safe-Test-Kits-20070526.html).

Yes it costs about $250 for eight samples but this is cheaper than sending a single sample to the local analytical lab.

If your results come back high then it is not the end of the world, just use raised garden beds for your veges as leafy greens take up the lead. Fruit generally do not. Keep exposed dirt areas to a minimum to prevent contact (i.e. grass it) and stop the dogs from trampling the dirt/dust inside the house. Keep the shoes at the front door if you are particularly concerned.
    Be aware of the age/condition of any paint on the roof if you use water tanks for drinking/washing.

Get your blood tested if you're concerned. If the lead levels come back at greater than 15 micrograms per decilitre (ug/dL), in NSW the NSW Department of Health will be notified and a home lead assessment will be carried out by the Public Health Unit (if in Esperance in Western Australia or Mt Isa in Queensland the cut off would be lower at only 5 and 10 micrograms respectively). (Mine was only 0.06ug/dL).

Don't be complacent about this issue. Lead is much more serious than asbestos.
    Good luck

11. Guest

Guest Guest

That's correct. I was correlating between the two.

Meat too expensive & now fresh fruit and veges are getting too expensive.

That cuts down very sharply into the food budget for those living on the debt ridden knife edge.

I'd rather eat well and live longer than sit in an over sized mcmansion you never really needed in the first place.

What's your health worth to you?

12. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me where rents have gone down?

malachii

PS Above is not a quote from Auspm but from the article - I seem to have cropped a bit much. Apologies.

13. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I must admit that what surprises me is that, in normal times, the big supermarkets can quite easily import fruit and vegetables direct from overseas, and undercut the local prices. Yet now they can't?

I smell a case of price gouging, under the guise of Yassi and the QLD/NSW/VIC/TAS floods.

14. millededge

millededge Active Member

Saw some bananas recently for 1.99, marked "from Ecuador or Philippines" I think

Now it is just the Aussie variety, a steal at 12.99 a kilo