FIFO; Big Mines outsourcing jobs - yeah cool story bro

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Water&Food, May 28, 2012.

1. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

My head caves in, fly in fly out jobs

1700 positions need to be filled in mines, yet big mines dont want to touch aussies with no experience or skills... so it only makes sense to employ people overseas with no experience or skills that have their fake degrees purchased online and printed

salute to aussie economy - what a load of tea and scones

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

digging holes and shit

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

One thing they will do though is that they will work.

The CFMEU is pushing this point to breaking. The mining companies will shut mines if there is no alternative, it'll be another Patrick stevedores saga before this ends.

It is Mining company v Union, nothing more, nothing less.

When the Fed gov't falls, so does the CFMEU and vice verse.

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

And it won't be a bad thing if and when the CFMEU does fall.

5. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

Yep.

6. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

After a quick search on Royhill.com.au for 'Any Category', 'Any work type' & 'In any location'.....
    53 jobs are available to apply for.

After looking at Hancock Coal
    So..... where are all the other jobs that they want to fly people in for (1,700)?
    I am not looking but I am well aware of others that are. Makes it hard to justify the need when you aren't even advertising.

7. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

8. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

A lot of people can't handle FIFO, I have seen green people last less than a week. Turn over that costs a lot when you add up medicals, training etc.

9. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

All back charged to the client (company) and is pittance when compared to the profits obtained once the project is up and running!

I worked on a job where the installation for this oil field took 11 months in total to install underwater, cost millions but now they are producing 90 - 100,000 barrels of oil a day with a production life of 14+ years and bringing in billions..

These companies pay alot of money to set up/develop and run projects but only because they still make a very handsome profit margin after all of it, otherwise they wouldn't bother in the first place.

10. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Together we form Voltron - good spotting there buddy. However, it 'maybe' possible the advertised positions were pulled after being fulfilled with advertised prostitutes. Benefit of doubt. :rolleyes:

11. Hoth25

Hoth25 New Member

As someone who has had an insight into the Roy Hill bid, it looks like everything is being done on the cheap.
    The contractors and sub contractors have been squeezed to produce the smallest bid possible (i.e. predict loss(es)).

12. mickjohn

mickjohn New Member

Surely, these positions are still available as an option to domestic workers, shouldn't they be advertised as such? Even miners aren't so efficient that they could have filled all those spots.
    Yet another debacle, which smacks of poor leadership, backflipping and nil sense of direction.

All I am seeing is trades and the like losing their jobs across Australia. Now Julia has a chance to employ a few and pay back the numerous traineeship programs funded by federal taxes or take the easy option and avoid the embarrassment of messing something else up. oh wait.....

Thundercats pwn voltron :p

13. Willow

Willow New Member

I am waiting to hear back on an application to a FIFO job in WA. They extended the application closing date by 2 weeks. That is normally to try and get a decent number of APP's i would think. There is a very large demand for people, trades and otherwise and a lot of people who do not want to do them for whatever reason..That is fine but if you do not want to do the jobs , how can you complain about another wanting to?

Most of the companies, mining and otherwise prefer locals for the jobs. But it is tough competing for the people for the build part of the projects.

All in all it is not too bad of a problem for a country to have..Better than what the poor USA guys have at the moment.