Divisable Silver

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ShadowPeo, Jun 26, 2012.

1. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Been thinking about diversifying my silver holdings to include some divisable bars (no more than 10% of my total silver holdings) in paticular the bars below, I have included the rounds to show another possibility. Anyone know anything about them? or hold any themselves? what do people thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Have you seen the video of the guy dividing one of those prospector rounds? Bloody hard work.

Better to buy fractionals. There's the Armenian coins if you want legal tender status coins, or Scottsdale if you just want generic fractional.

4. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have seen that video and thought the labour costs involved to have someone chisel away at the poor little coins would defeat the purpose.

they are fantastic though, purely for the appearance, much prefer the bar over the round, pity about the text, that puts me off, almost as bad as in god we trust.

obviously the price of them would be based on 1oz
    so I can see your thinking as it's much cheaper to divide them into 4x1/4oz then it is buying 1/4oz.
    an 1/4oz armenian may be $10 but that's $40oz whereas your divisables are probably only $33?

but no, the cut edge will make them look kinda fakey,
    chisel marks ect, I think your best best in fractionals is what is sold as fractionals, high premium but a worthy premium.

5. samboyellowsub

samboyellowsub Member

Divisible tom-foolery is a bloody novelty. There's plenty of pre-decimal Aussie sterling. The florins are 1/3 oz. How convenient is that? '66 50's are a smidgen more than 1/3 oz.

If you're going to turn something into scrap by breaking it up, might as well pay scrap prices to begin with?

... I don't mean to come off as rude, just typing my mind

6. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

7. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the feedback, Miniroo made a point I had not thought of, they would look fake with the chiseled edge, the wording also bothers me, but hey beggers cannot be choosers, I think I may just stick with 1 Oz coins