Crypto Problems ?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by southerncross, May 25, 2017.

1. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wondering if anyone can help me out here ? Any tech heads or crypto autists about ? .

So on the weekend (last), I opened up an old Dogecoin wallet and it has over a half million still in it which showed up straight away.

I try and find it again a day later and get libstdc++-6.dll is missing try reinstalling etc ? or an alternative exception message which I traced down to some sort of data base being overloaded within the wallet itself.

My PC is a minefield of misplaced crap though, and I have a number of different doge wallets and files floating around in different places. I managed to get one working but it is like 190 weeks behind and is not showing any doge at alll ?

Q: Will the one working catch up and find my missing doge ?

Q: I have not deleted anything so can I still find the missing Doge if the current working wallet fails to do so ?

Q: How do I fix the missing dll file corruption on the wallet that I think actually has the missing Doge in and wont open?

Have tried Regclean pro with no result. The original wallet is about 3-4 years old and as far as I know still on this machine somewhere as I opened it a few days ago.

Any help would be much appreciate and am willing to sling a few Oz of silver or some POT or Doge in return for a solution.

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

First thing I would suggest you do is back up ALL your data by copying it onto an external hard drive, DVD or even a USB stick.

If there is a .dll missing error then something has probably been corrupted or deleted, but it may be a path configuration issue. I would go into Windows Explorer and search the entire contents of all your drives for libstdc++-6.dll. It is probably the GNU compiler library which would be a seperate application to your wallet, but don't take my word for it. If you have multiple wallets it could be a local .dll which you'll find in the file collections of your other wallet (that you could then copy over). Or it might be a .dll installed "globally" and should reside in your windows/system32 directory.

The exception error you mentioned might be important too. Perhaps your system is running out of resources to load the full blockchain?

As for blockchain sync, the wallet that is 190 weeks behind will catch up eventually, but the question is WHEN did the Dogecoin get transferred into the wallet? If it is within the last 190 weeks then it might show up as the blockchain catches up. If it should have been there more than 190 weeks ago then it is likely you are looking at a different wallet (with different private keys)

I haven't use DOGE, but most crypto wallets have a seperate file where the private key is encrypted and stored. For many this is wallet.dat. It may be possible to take the wallet.dat file (or equivalent) from your corrupt wallet and copy it into your up-to-date wallet and the client will find the private key transactions on the up-to-date blockchain. Alternatively, the blockchain is also stored in files that can be copied from the up-to-date wallet and dropped onto the one thats 190 weeks behind, which would bring you up to date much quicker (make sure you back everything up before trying either of these). You can check the timestamps and size of these files which will give you clues.

If none of that works I'd find the DOGE support forums (my understanding is DOGE community is very strong) and ask for help but do NOT post any wallet data to anyone or you might inadvertantly give them your private key - at which point you'll be robbed. I've seen this happen.

Once you've got it sorted, do a clean up of your PC and organise things better. If you are using your PC to store actual wealth then you need to make sure you keep your house in order (regular backups, virus/malware protection, firewall etc)

In summary :-

Only if the private key is the same.

You should be able to if you can locate the file containing your private key for the missing Doge and it is not corrupted.

Tough to know without understanding what has gone wrong. Maybe a reinstall of GNU compiler, but it sounds like it might be tougher than that.

southerncross likes this.
  3. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

pull the wallet.dat from %appdata% and delete wallet, then reinstall wallet adding your wallet.dat & just hope they have a bootstrap file on Doge on BCT so you dont have to wait ages, coins wont show up untill it hits the block you deposited them in

And as bugged out said save copies of all your wallet.dats somewhere safe,
    I currently have a computer in a recovery place trying to get a wallet off a fried comp with over 20 BTCs of a coin on...... And I well know better but at the time it was worth bugger all..

LOL

southerncross likes this.
  4. ninteno

ninteno Member

All said about, hopefully you get it run again.
    Do you know your passphrase ?
    I also had a old ltc wallet from somebody who can not remember on this. :-(

5. southerncross

Thanks for the tips BuggedOut and Golightly, no luck so far, but I have a feeling I might need to wait for my current wallet to catch up with the time period the doge were created as Golightly indicated. Only a few more weeks to go for now , just another 147 weeks to go to find out..NBN can suck my sweaty balls.
    My big concern is that I may have inadvertently stuffed up my wallet.dat file somehow ?

I have not deliberately changed anything other than accidentally opening different files, but may have instituted an updated wallet by opening it while the older one was still in play so to speak.

I have not deleted anything at all so far, so I'm still hoping everything is still floating around somewhere on my lap top, I still have three Doge Qt files that will not open due to the libstdc++-6.dll and stack exception failures and am thinking that this is where the odd Oz of Gold value is hiding out. :)

The odd thing is that when I first noticed the problem I saved the Doge Wallet.dat file to a thumb drive and since then when I try to work the problem, I keep finding a new Wallet.Dat file with the current date and time on the search screen on my laptop? As in today at X time when I do a search for existing or old files and try to open them.

Would this be the original Wallet.Dat updating, or a new one created inadvertently from opening a newer version of the Doge wallet do you think ?

I'm thinking of copying everything I can find of every doge reference on my laptop to a thumb drive and then progressively opening each QTfile with the latest wallet from the Dogecoin website with the new and seeing if it updates. But should I wait and see if the current one does without encryption and a password ?

Such confusion, many stupids, much furstrations.....

6. southerncross

This is about the only thing I did correctly ninteno, I saved it on multiple platforms and even emailed it to myself for safe keeping at the time as I had over 20 million Doge at one point in time back then, also had a few thousand LTC, over a million POT, and a bit of this and that as well ,.... but then traded nerly all of it back to BTC and then Fiat and bought even more Gold and Silver when we moved outside of a decent internet connection.
    Stupid is as Stupid does huh?
    The only saving grace is that the Missus never knew about it at the time as it was just me playing with my stupid computers back then.

People have a hard time conceiving of a > $75 billion dollar market cap that they have no understanding of with literally billions traded each day in crypto, All major Banks considering Blockchain technology and Govt's in every Western society taking it on board as a viable form of transaction right here right now.

Only one in a hundred will pass the test though, Ethereum will be one of them due to it's versatility as it is not just an Alt coin and does so much more.

7. yurana

yurana Active Member Silver Stacker

What happens if you lost your bitcoin?If there are only 21000000 of them how will it affect the amount available and can they be found

8. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The consensus is at least 2 million bitcoins are lost already (including the original 1 million), the rest from early adopters when it was mined for fun and was worth less than .1 cents each.

Also you need to factor in that more and more will will be lost....

1. CPU crashes with no backups
    2. People gets a virus with no backup
    2. People die and haven't told anyone or documented it.

9. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

So thers not enough bitcoins to go around the entire world and use as a new digital currency?

Why invest in it then???

10. BuggedOut

11. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Its way too complicated for normal everyday citizens to understand and use compared to fiat or even stacking PM's.

How are older generations or computer illiterate people ever going to use it?

12. BuggedOut

It won't always be that way. Front end tech will make it idiot proof in time, but we are some way from it now.

Like any technology, the early adopters benefit most from being tech savvy enough to not just use it but see the future benefits it will bring.

We have a lot of growth, volatility and setbacks to go yet, but for me the direction is clear.

13. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

super strong magnet will erase wallet, just like a brain wash service