Creating a custom silver coin

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by bring-the-silver, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bring-the-silver

bring-the-silver Member

Hey guys, first off sorry if this is the wrong place for this discussion, I wasn't sure where it was best suited so please move if needed.

As the title suggests, myself and some friends are looking into creating our own silver round. We have found a mint we like and the prices seem reasonable - this is our first time stepping into this field so we're obviously quite ignorant of what to do.

So we understand we need to come up with a design, none of us are designers so does anyone have any suggestions to who we could use for this - and if there's anything we need to look out for?

In terms of making the die, I know the mint can do this for us, but is there a cheaper alternative we could employ to save money?

Also any advice to first timers would be really appreciated, I'm sure there are many pit falls we're likely to fall into seeing as it's untouched territory for us, some friendly advice would be very welcome

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Our coin clubs used to get locally made medals for various events but now we send everything over to China, they do most of the design work as well as the actual die making and minting. They are cheaper and better than we can get it done here but you do need to get quite a few made and we usually go for base metals.

3. Fat Penguin

Fat Penguin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Design?
    I recommend a big fat Penguin.
    And put me down for a roll....

kiona likes this.
  4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1. Hobby -> is this break even or losing only small amount is the goal but the main objective is to have "our" own coin. Much like Self Published Authors.
    2. Commerical -> a money making venture, and it MUST make a X profit before we take it to the next level.

Strategies for 1 is very different to 2.