Could someone please explain copper?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Miss Silver, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Miss Silver

Miss Silver New Member

Ok, copper.
    Forget about coins and think about the importance of copper and copper stocks and how it will perform in the near future?

Why, because I have been talking to some high profile mining executives about deposits and I got a clear sign that they were more keen on getting the drill results back for there copper deposits.

We discussed there gold deposits and drilling programs and they were more eager in conversation to recieve there copper results.

Now I can't discuss everything we spoke about and there are other reasons that would cause there keeness but is there a reason to look forward to the future of copper?

Thanks

2. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

With current consumption of copper, it is predicted it will run out within 60 years. Graph from gizmodo, google search.

And since copper is cheap, any appreciation in copper will significantly alter profitability.

From business point of view, I am more excited mining copper than mining gold. Copper is very important to industry hence stable demand, gold and silver can come as byproduct of mining copper. With increased rarity, and valuable byproduct I don't see why not mine more copper.

The only threat to copper? Graphene becomes a viable replacement for copper. Which is still quite far away.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

China's expansion requires copper so they tell me for wiring and plumbing and whatnot.

While China is going strong they need more copper, if China slows down they will use up their stockpiles if they have any and won't be buying any more.

And that is about all I have heard about it.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't know much about it to be honest but it's far too common and the world economies are far too fragile for me to think about investing it, especially when Silver is still cheap.

If PMs ever blast off and Copper is still at ~$4 i'd think about jumping on some.

5. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

LOL, gainesville stocks some copper bullion. Signs of things to come? Stacking copper, dealing with green coins.

6. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree with roman1613 - go for whats going for the short term headline news(Ag/Au) then move to the next. As investors we can jump ship pretty quickly - an owner of a mine for Cu needs to plan far longer out - perhaps not 60 years but you get the point. Something like 5-7 years to bring a mine online?

7. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

Copper bullion as of right now is a complete fucking joke, I feel for people wasting their money on what can only be described as extortion.
    You buy the stuff in great big slabs today if you're seriously looking at getting physical, that's the only logical way. Otherwise you'll be dead before you see profit.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't think I would ever take delivery of the stuff, paper copper for me if anything.

9. Dusty

Dusty Active Member Silver Stacker

If mine owners are saying yeah um we have some gold but damm we have some nice copper than for a viable mine it could be the cream on the pie.

10. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's big money in China :)

Google: Chinese copper pig farmers

:)

11. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did you discuss the % grade of the copper? Strike length & depth ... This can have a huge impact on a company's share price

12. Dusty

All will be prevailed soon enough.
    All will be prevailed :)

It's more about when people will hear about there grades.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep in my world thats the bloke who keeps giving me Speeding fines!!

14. Au.Ag.Mzch

Au.Ag.Mzch New Member

I guess my collection of 20c 10c and 5c shrapnel is a bit pointless then

15. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All I know is when Rio Tinto re-opens Panguna Coppermine in Bouganville, you'll know it's time to get stuck into acquiring copper miner stocks!

P.S.
    Panguna was punching out over 300,000 ounces of gold per annum before the Rebels shut it down... it's a powder-keg!

16. Dusty

I was just very surprised when a company would be excited about copper.

I thought gold would be of more interest with the price it's bring but COPPER, COPPER it's only copper.

There's obviously money to be made with the right mine.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Excitement probably equates to yield/$$/cost per ton as opposed to Gold.
    Bullion Barron could probably give a definitive answer.

18. Philski

Philski Member

We all live in a very exciting age. Easy to get Copper Cu ore is running out pure and simple. Copper is a very important industrial element with both high thermal and electrical conductance and massive historical importance. We have a 120 year old working copper mine here in Tasmanian, Mount Lyell who's main vein "in its hey day" was 300 meters wide, they are at present 5km underground below Gormanston pulling 2% copper Chalcopyrite, Bornite and associated minerals Trace gold etc. (was 50% Cu, Bornite) I also know some miners down here that have a major share in the massive Ok tedi, New guinea. Both mines are nearly worked out. Plus the world biggest Bingham Canyon Mine, again nearly worked out. I buy copper bullion 999 because its cheap and makes a great pure copper cathode for some experiments i do, (alchemy) it is not a glamour metal of course. Its recyclable, but unlike aluminium, sim price also oxidized to cupric oxide. it is and will always be needed in thousands of industries and has hundreds of domestic uses, including the gold plated pins in the computer your using right now being copper cored, we can not live without it, and there is nothing else cheap enough or versatile enough to replace it. Perhaps spintronics and graphene, but both at present require copper in part to produce themselves.

19. Trichter

Trichter Member

I think most coppoer mines get about 1-2% actual copper. Re. copper reserves and production: Australia has about 5% of known recoverable copper resources; 3rd after Chile and the US. In production Australia is around 5th. Presumeably the silver and gold obtained with the copper now represents a far greater portion of the bottom line profits as the prices rise.

20. Franko

Franko Member Silver Stacker

I know at Olympic Dam BHP prefer the Copper mining to the Gold. A few years ago now they used to seal the gold veins up with concrete and just chase the copper. Might have changed now with the gold price rise.