Coin of the year... Return on investment

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Shippeevt, Oct 15, 2015.

1. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

and I agree with yrh's chart for many of the numi/modern high relief medals and coins. Some have stood the test of time (albeit it's a short test - lol), and others have tanked. what their prices will be in 5 - 10 years? Who knows. But some have tanked bad. for example, I'm glad I sold my 2 pieces of the Pena coin as soon as I released them. Whew.

Will the Odins stand the test of time? Who knows. But if I were holding 20 pieces, I wouldn't be holding them long term. lol.

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Aureus stated
    I had to put his absurd nonsense to rest in a number of ways and at the same time I was curious what he meant by longterm but since he chose not to define it, I did....100 years.

3. mmissinglink

You obviously make very poor, logical-fallacy laden arguments here in this thread. For the record, I labelled your arguments here absurd
    because they absolutely are nutty. I label you arrogant because that's your attitude (just read your own condescending words to see this truth). If you don't like being called what you come across as or having your arguments called for what they are, change yourself.

4. mmissinglink

The truth is, no one knows how Libertads, Kooks, or certain high relief coins/medals for example will perform over the long term.

It's all speculation and we actually have no long term history to gauge modern bullion coins by. High relief medals have been around for a long time (but I have found no references as to initial costs) as have circulating coins. But keep in mind that past performance does not guarantee future results.

5. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Well, this thread has morphed into something very different from the OP.. :lol:

My point in posting that Peace dollar, was to show that high-relief isn't some recent "gimmick," nor does it always suffer in price.

Almost 95 years old, and still appears to hold the test of time. I'd wager that in another 95 years, it will still be a sought-after piece..

6. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Minus some of the posts, this type of post is where I learn a lot from and why I keep coming back. I'm very appreciative you guys are so open with your strategies, winners, losers, etc. Some people are tight lipped always trying to get ahead on one another. Since this forum is geographically diverse there is very little cannabalism for the same consumer, the knowledge you guys share here is very educational.

7. Shippeevt

Shippeevt Member

Amen!!!

8. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

I am a little surprised no-one has pointed out that the "high relief" peace dollar was DISCONTINUED after a year and change due to the high relief.
    So as an example of lasting , it did not at the time of issue and is the only reason the 1922 is popular today.
    I like the high relief as it is a pretty bland coin without it.
    I notice on ngc the population of ms65 + is very limited on the 1921 i should send them mine to increase this i guess and turn my $25 coin into a $9000 coin, lol

9. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Post us photo after you get high grade

10. Gatito Bandito

You need to aim a bit higher, mate! :D

Record this past August, for a PCGS MS67, is $70,500 USD..

11. Gatito Bandito

And speaking of the 1922 High-Relief..

An NGC PF 67 Matte went for a record $329,000 USD a couple years ago. :eek: