Coin Album V Capsule

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by long john silver, Dec 27, 2011.

1. long john silver

long john silver Member

Hi guys,
    I got a beautiful lighthouse coin album for Christmas, which i am really eager to put some of my coins in for display!
    But i am just a bit cautious, should i take my beloved Silver coins out of there capsules to place in the album?

I guess i am just wondering what the general opinion is about removing coins from there protective case to place in a album.
    Will the coin be more likely to Tarnish ?
    Is it likely to Effect the value of the coin in the future even when returned to the capsule ?
    ETC

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would expect some damage when moving from one system to another, a fingerprint or a dropped coin, it doesn't matter how careful you are.

I have some albums and some capsules.

The capsules are great for preserving the coins but not for viewing them. However there are now some coin pages which hold capsules and iwould expect this range to increase now they have started, I would wait for capsule pages to come out and get the best of both worlds.

3. heike1a2b3c

heike1a2b3c New Member

I definitely would not.

I am purposely paying extra for those that come in factory sealed capsules, because I assume that the metal will have been touched less and will be in better condition and as such also sell for better.

Having looked at sales on ebay, those with capsules do sell at a higher premium than those without. (but of course proof ones definitely are to be found in capsules more and thus attract a higher premium). I am sure there are enough collector coins that do not originally come in a capsule that would love to live in the coin albumn. But if you wanted to store them in the albumn nevertheless, would it not be possible to just buy larger squares that will fit then in any case.

4. jackbrown

jackbrown New Member

I bought a heap of the sterling state series coins a few years back and a bunch of the Olympic medallions, some came in plastic cases and others in vinyl envelopes. There was no price difference between them and the loose ones, all spot on the ASW + the premium so when I got home I pulled them all out and threw the cases away. You can fit more coins in a poly-pipe or SS thermos that way :)