Canceling atb due to price increase

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Jkenosh, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Jkenosh

Jkenosh New Member

Is anyone canceling their subscription for the five ounce atb now that there is no reduced price? As a stacker it's hard for me to justify 31 dollars a ounce for the p I do like collecting them but I liked them a lot more at 140.00 than 155.00

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I am planning on collecting the entire series....that's my goal. It's too bad that the US Mint has stopped the discount subscription pricing. If anyone was buying these collector coins because they were interested in the value contained therein of the physical silver content alone, then that person was making a poor decision from the beginning. No collector coin should be purchased if you are interested in only the value of the metal content. Buying old inexpensive silverware at yard sales is a much better use of your money if you care only about the value of the metal.

EDIT: That's why it's always important to understand why you are interested in owning silver products and therefore you can buy the silver products that match your goals.

If I were to still believe that in a few months or a couple of years there will be a global currency collapse (as has been spewed by permnabulls for the last several years) and I also concurrently believe that physical silver will be an indispensable commodity to own during this hypothetical SHTF/end-of-times scenario, the last thing I'd be buying is beautiful collector coins. That's just me and it is possible I suppose (as remote as it appears now) that just around the corner is a global currency collapse....but it's also possible that I will become the president of the US in a few years. :)

3. Sully

Sully Member

Agreed. The P versions are nothing to do with stacking, for me. They're a long term commitment. Price increase, price drop, whatever. I am locked into this series to the end, regardless.
    My goal is to build probably the greatest single series i'll ever own, and in the spring of 2021 they will find a permanent home in something like this;

[​IMG]

4. mmissinglink

Nice wooden case! Is that designed for the 5 oz ATB's? That would have to be a large wooden case if it is designed for the entire series of ATB's and very heavy once filled. Also, I can't even guess at the cost of such a lavish and unusual wooden case but she sure is a beauty.

APMEX case?

5. Sully

Sully Member

Yes, specifically for ATB's, by APMEX.
    At the moment, inserts are for the bullion versions in the airtite capsule. US mint capsules won't suit.
    But all in good time (and i can wait until 2021!) there will be inserts made to accomodate the P's also.

I believe the final drawer contains space for 6 coins, allowing the total of 56 issues.
    Weight with box when full will be approx 10kg, i'd expect.

This current box finally took account of the number of coins in the series!
    Some time back, they had a box like this which could hold 25 coins.
    So, you would buy 2. They would hold 50. Then what about the last 6?
    They weren't thinking back then. But this one is finally correct.

Expect a price of about $175 - 200 for the box on its own, i think.
    I'm not rushing to buy until they sort the cutouts for the P versions, eventually.

6. mmissinglink

If that's the actual price for this wooden box, it's a good price for a big and unusual custom wooden box. Imagine the time and money it would take to have a woodworker make one like that?

I can imagine an auction house like Heritage or Stacks-Bowers in 2021 offering a complete set of the ATB's in a custom case like that.....price? Um....serious collectors with plenty of money please step to the front, all others...see ya later! Auction house commission? Ouch!

Are the capsules that the US Mint uses for the ATB collector coins larger than the capsules dealers put the bullion coins in?

EDIT: I just found the APMEX page for that king sized wooden case: http://www.apmex.com/product/81391/new-10-drawer-custom-wood-display-box-for-56-coin-atb-set

7. Sully

Sully Member

It's my belief, in the years still to go with the ATB series, we'll see the box or a similar version from another manufacturer with optional size of foam inserts.
    For the bullion or the collector version.
    I don't see why we should have to purchase 56 Z5 airtites to fit the supplied foam when we already have perfectly good capsules containing the 'P''s from the mint.
    Also, my main hope is to wait and see this box evolve once more to have an additional tray for the COA's.
    Patience required :)
    Those without any probably bought the first version 5 tray, 25-coin case a couple of years ago

8. mmissinglink

Hey Sully, that's a neat idea about a newly designed box with a place to hold the COA's and sized to fit the US Mint capsules. Also, what about a lovely wooden box which holds 56 slabbed (graded) coins? Or, grander still, a wooden box which holds 112 5 oz ATB's; all 56 bullion and all 56 collector coins? Now we're talking serious $$ and serious ego, eh? :)

For the COA's, they could have hinged doors on the front of the box which has pockets or slots for all COA's.

9. Sully

Sully Member

Don't think my salary could handle the grander one, you go ahead! I'll stick with just the P's. :D

I like that idea of 2 doors that open at the front with slots on the back of them, instead of just an extra tray. If they never end up designing anything for the COA's, that's something a good carpenter could add on for me.

10. mmissinglink

So Sully, would the fully loaded (with the 2 sets of ATB's) 112 coin grand box with front hinged doors weigh about 21 kilos total? Imagine doing a show-and-tell at your kids school with that set-up? :)

11. Sully

Sully Member

The little beggers wouldn't be able to resist opening the capsules when you're not watching, though :D

EDIT: come to think of it, should be safe enough. I can barely manage to open the darn capsules myself!