Can we have a Bitchbox or Mineshaft ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Guest, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Or a dungeon or cave or some such thing ?

It is becoming obvious that as the membership of SS grows exponentially the opinions and viewpoints amongst the membership base also grow and as a result diverge along political and social memes and opinions held by the vast array of members contained in our little part of the webiverse .

This is becoming obvious in the general discussion area most notably and as a result certain members who hold either strong Religious, Political, Moral, Tinfoil hat, Deep Green Gaia viewpoints or are opposed to such viewpoints are rubbing each other up the wrong way and leading to threads being shutdown or are as a result ruining innocent threads established for rational discussion of such topics way off topic.

Baiting, trolling and insults along with threads being dragged way off topic are occurring, I personally don't have a problem with this on any of the above points except for having rational discussion devolving into shitfights as I can trade blows with the best.
    It can also lead to members who are able to control themselves in certain Forums losing it in others and copping a suspension or ban as a result You can Imagine or Pretend it will End for Ever but it wont.

But in the interests of those who do not want to see all of the above in the general area of discussion , (the young included as well as I have received PM's myself on this) and who dont mind a bit of heated personal debate on various topics, I thought an area created and entered into on a request basis would take the heat out of the general forum area and allow such discussions to take place away from the general public and also stop the General discussion thread from becoming a political/whatever forum.

It would also allow a resolution to occur for threads otherwise deemed unworthy of the GD forum in that they could be just flicked to the "whatever" and either peter out or resolve themselves rather than reincarnate in the GD forum under another name. It would also take a load off of Moderating as well in this case.

I realise that SS was created as a PM forum but in reality SS is also a social forum now, it's just made up of PMophiles. I would expect that strict standards would still apply so far as race and sexual content etc apply but a loosening of the restrictions on playing the man or woman, language etc as the people involved would be participating on a voluntary basis and are free to withdraw at any time. If you are involved no crying to GP or Admin for being so.

I am not advocating an anything go's , just a place here to have discussions like Climate Change, Labor V Libs , Yo Momma is so fat, Yippee is a ? and the like without polluting the General discussions forum.

I'd like peoples thoughts on this.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I like to express my rage too :lol:. Currently I take it out on people when I meet them f2f mwahahahaha.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

^^^ Oh you sound kinda scary Fishball! :/ And there was I thinking you were a nice guy! ;)

On topic:

Yeah, I think SC's suggestion might be good. :)

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

:lol: I'm evillllll.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

i thought thats what kitco was for :/

7. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

I like the idea, before finding this one, one of my favourite forums was ausfish.com they started a section called "the bilge" for just that sort of discussion. It was only open to platinum(certain number of posts) or Premium(paid subscription) members.

While I thought the platinum member requirement was initially unwarranted, it did keep trolls etc out of the forum by making them contribute to other areas of the forum without getting banned for 'misconduct' or plain trolling before they got the post count up to the level. If that is deemed to be the case here as 'necessary' I guess GP could decide the post count.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Then go and hang out at kitco you BLEEP BLRRp BLEEP, and I will maybe join up there instead of here where the... Ahem... discussion started and not discuss any such future topics in the future here. Or not, maybe I will just start a topic in the general forums about not being able to Ahem....Discuss things with systemic on a rational basis here ?

Oi meun sereeusly tha tuip of diskushun heur is jus sooo lummited eyo jus mait ave tchu goo tchu Kiytkoo.

9. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

+1 :)

10. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

What's more important is the need to have an auto con filter.

It would save many members time from having to bold every con they spot. :|

Oh, and I think fishball would make a fine mod.
    He knows when to hold back and when to throw punches. :p

11. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

I think not, the forum is a success as it is.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

+1

As long as he promises not to be TOO scary! [​IMG]

;)

:p

13. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

This pretty much sums it up. The General Discussion forum was introduced as a concession to demand for somewhere that was not investment related, and it causes enough headaches as it is (and it's already registered members only). We strive to be better than other forums by discouraging all of the crap talk that is acceptable elsewhere. I (fully!) understand the social aspects of the site, but I'd prefer that people thought of this place as more suited to cafe rather than pub talk if that analogy makes sense.

If you really want to go hammer and tong over a topic like real estate... there's always somersoft.com unless you're already banned there.

I'd be more inclined to simply introduce an ignore feature on the next iteration of the forum, probably going to start working on that in a few months.

14. systematic

now now ... settle petal ...we don't all have our blinkers on ... we can always agree to disagree

15. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Since I'm one of the people who often participates in these kinds of discussions... :)

I don't really see that much of a need for it and if there is a "gloves off" section, the attitudes expressed there will undoubtedly end up spilling over into the rest of the forum anyway.

I'd much prefer to see everyone keep their s**t together and not use the forum as a public spleen-venting facility in the first place.

For what it's worth, I don't have any qualms about trading metal with people I disagree on political subjects and on the rare occasions I talk politics with people I meet face-to-face, I make a special effort to be polite about it. Usually the topic quickly turns back to precious metals anyway.

Obviously the tone of discussion can slip a bit when you're not talking to someone in person, but there's no reason it should slip that badly just because we're on an internet forum.

16. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

NO !!!! let nature take its course .I personally like it when it gets a bit heated & the persons character or lack of shows ..For some its all good sport & a battle of wits & others it builds character that they didnt have before the storm.

Its great to see who is running on facts , commonsense & experience & others who blow it out their internet educated butts. I like this place warts & all.

17. registered nutcase

registered nutcase New Member

I am a member of quite a few fourms, and this has the highest standards of any. I think we should keep it this way.

18. systematic

i agree - sure we may hit a nerve here and there - we cant always agree on everything all the time - we are only human(ish)

19. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

Of all the open forums I have trolled in this is the hardest one to get an bite!

20. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hmmmm given my method of expression here methinks I am part geek :/