Buyers on eBay insane

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by 940palmtx, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I used to buy on eBay until about a month ago, well not very much and not very often anymore. Looking lately, people are buying gold and platinum for the same price whether the spot is 1850 or under 1780, I see so many bids more than online retail, even with shipping factored in...strange

2. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

some people got stuck with money, so the only way out is to spend it through eBay, pay via PayPal = trying to get rid of their balances.

others are not aware of the many avenue to buy them. while others feel its cheaper since the currency has appreciated against the nominated currency.

:)

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Kinda like "a fool and his money are soon parted"

4. wfire

wfire New Member

Sometimes I suspect it's seller's manipulation. There was a time I really want to get that product but was constantly outbidden by someone, I gave up in the last minute as the price had really gone unreasonable. Then the seller turned to me by saying that the highest bidder changed his mind, do you still want it ... I returned a big NO of course.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yeah I've heard of that, it's called proxy bidding and I'm sure it's more common than people would think. Same thing happened to me, except I was like the 3rd highest bidder so I knew the deal, it was for a slabbed panda. I forget exactly the price, but I messaged him back a price even less than what I bid LOL, never heard from them

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Proxy bidding appears to be happening on the 2010 1oz lunar tiger coins. Two bidders, are bidding up most of the coins into the $80s. If the bidding goes higher the other bidder wins. That makes it hard to tell what the market really is for those coins.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Don't hate the playa, hate the game! You get the item at the price you were willing to pay for it, the seller gets the maximum amount of money for their item and eBay gets a bigger cut...win:win:win right??

Also known as shill bidding, and eBay encourages this with its 'Second Chance" feature which allows the seller to offer you the same item if they have several in stock or the winner pulls out. I have been offered this several times. I always refuse but ask the seller to let me know when they relist the item so I can start bidding again, they haven't gotten back to me so I assume that they either offered all the other bidders the same choice or were scamming.

8. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Yeah, yeah, silly me, shill bidding...I can be a bit thick before my second cup of java

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it may be a coincident, 2 guys bid up the prices, usually many items to save on postage. I asked the seller and buyer. actually paid up. next time so got buyer.

recently, bid a few items, yes only the items i place bids got bid up, the rest similar items sold for less. some one is pushing up the prices and let the winner pay for it.

I used to push up other peoples bids so that their money are spend elsewhere (other items) so that he can not compete with me on the items I like :p