Bismuth better than Silver?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by joshporter33, Feb 14, 2012.

1. revlisify

revlisify Member Silver Stacker

Oh and Josh, don't handle that thing too much. It's less toxic than lead and also slightly radioactive.

If you wanna be an eBay seller, stick to precious metal.

2. dross

dross Active Member

Deceit aside joshporter33, you are obviously your in Brisbane as is the product so can you explain why such a wide gap between the market price & your selling price, sorry i just don't see it, especially with such a low melting point.

3. joshporter33

joshporter33 New Member

Ok fair questions about the price. Our costs are nowhere near $27 per kilo. For starters the cheapest we could buy it in the raw form was between $32 - $40/kg (depending on how much we bought). We then have to ship it out here. Pay customs fees, import fees. Melt it down. Turn it into the nice and shiny bar you see. We have ebay fees, paypal fees (This is why it is quite a bit cheaper on our website than it is on ebay) and when all said and done we have exactly a $50 margin on the product (hence the odd ebay price of $146.41 and the website price of $134.10) Whist we are talking about costs, for the people who had a problem about the metal not being "liquid" enough there is also a $10 per bar advertising cost. With $10 from each bar we sell going into advertising, we think in no time at all people will find it much easier to on-sell their bars.

So, I have a challenge for any of you questioning the price. :)
    I obviously want to reduce the price of these bars as the only feedback from you guys I have received is about the price and liquidity. If ANYBODY can source it cheaper I am happy to buy from them. The next shipment we are getting will be around the 100-200 kg mark and for this amount we were quoted $33 per kg.

Obviously as we progress we will be able to save on production costs and hopefully get the metal a little closer to spot. But in the meantime if you want bismuth in nice shiny 1kg bar form you have exactly 2 options... do it yourself, or buy it from us. And let me tell you from experience lol there is a LOT of work involved in turning it from a lump of raw metal. Into a nice shiny bar with a stamp on it!

4. Marty

Marty New Member

Shame there's no market for it.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

lol $50 margin.

6. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

.. or 3. Say Buggar it .. and go stack some shiny stuff instead.

There will always be a market for Silver and Gold .. not so sure about Bismuth :|

May be a great investment, but if noone going to purchase it off you when the price is high, then what good is that ??

7. Sultan Pepper

Sultan Pepper Member

Have you actually manage to sell any yet?

8. DSK

DSK Active Member Silver Stacker

would be cheaper to stack solder and more usefull.

9. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

$50? Typical margins on bullion bars are closer to 2-4%, not 50%.

10. joshporter33

joshporter33 New Member

The website has been online for about a week and the eBay add for even less :| So to answer your question... No, not yet :) (Although we had no problems getting our friends and family to add a few to their stacks ;))

11. Silverbullet08

Silverbullet08 New Member

So is that at 2-4% , or u ripping them off at the 50% too?
    I guess its business, but any person thinking of buying this i would say,
    would at the very least research and educate themselves on it... and find thats waaaaaay overpriced.

12. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

For all intents and purposes, I would not touch it other than for the same reason someone buys a paperweight. Good luck with your business.. but it's a fringe metal that may not get the attention you need for it.

I'd say, but a crap-load, and store it. Market the hell out of it to people who have a use for it (not bullion stackers, as frankly there is no demand for it that I can see)... then when a demand comes in the future, you have bars ready to go!

13. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I see at least a few problems with your business model:

1. Bismuth poisoning exists and mostly affects the kidney, liver, and bladder. Skin and respiratory irritation can also follow exposure to respective organs. As with lead, overexposure to bismuth can result in the formation of a black deposit on the gingiva, known as a bismuth line.
    2. You are not a large recognized organization, your bars may be stamped with purity and content but nobody really trusts you.
    3. Your premiums are far too high, since Bismuth is not a very famous and recognized metal chances are people will check what spot price is before buying.

14. hussman

hussman Member

Funniest thread I've come across so far.

Josh, I wish you all the best for your adventure business. You sound abit like my dad, creating things which there is no real market for.

15. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Nothing wrong with that - one of the reason d'etres of marketing is "if there is no market, create one"

Good luck with your ventures Josh - just in future be upfront with us - we're a pretty easy going bunch provided you play with a straight bat

16. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Got to love the cricketing reference.. no one likes a sloppy batsman. Straight bat, keep eye on the ball and follow through! You don't want to middle it and have it only get halfway to the boundary!

Peace

17. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

18. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Wow this stuff is awesome. Are there any considerations for shipping regarding the slight radioactivity/poisonous nature etc? Would you be able to do a special price to ship 4 or 5 kg to nz?

19. joshporter33

joshporter33 New Member

Nope, we had no problems importing it in from china. Or when we bought a few of those little bars from the US. The "Slight" in slightly radioactive is barely even worth a mention. :D For a silver stacker I can ship 5 kg's to NZ for $700 (Airmail)

20. Rinchin

Rinchin New Member

Sorry man I was only joking, I have no use for it. Can buy too much silver for that money.
    Just wondered if you would bite