Bars of other metals

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by heike1a2b3c, Mar 4, 2012.

1. heike1a2b3c

heike1a2b3c New Member

Hi,

now that I feel I have a reasonable stash of gold and silver, I would love to branch out into some of the other metals, like copper zinc etc. On ebay I can find lots of 1gram bars and some 1oz bars (and of course lots of larger ones), I would love to hear opinions on where it would be best to safely purchase trustworthy metals. The 1 oz ones seem best to me.

I.e. The ebay member 'lasvegasrob' sells quite a few lovely ones, but I believe in previous discussions his name has come up for selling fakes.

Please respond with something, even if it is 'Don't bother with these metals'.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

If you want copper bars and rounds then go to Maggie.

Anything else, "Don't bother with these metals".

(Where anything else is also not Platinum/Palladium)

3. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

I have bought from lasvegasrob before. I will say that they were fakes, but were advertised as copies, so nothing against him there.
    Personally, I wouldent waste my time with copper, however if i was to buy copper, it would be copper coins, pennies ect. which can be bought with no premium pretty much.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

What's the aim of these purchases? Investment or collectables?

5. heike1a2b3c

heike1a2b3c New Member

That's a good question. I guess I was definitely trying to get one of those large 1gram lots just to see the differences in colour of these metals, and that would be more like collectable/informative.

But if others said that some are worthwhile investing in I might try to accumulate rather 1oz bars of these. They seem to be much better value. But of course even bigger bars, like 5 or 10oz would be even better, but only if worth collecting/stacking.

6. goldpelican

Might want to check out the exorbitant premiums.

7. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Copper pipe ?

Seriously where would you sell these when the time came ? Scrap yards ???

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Space becomes an issue with lower value metals. Takes more space to store the same value of metal.

I would stack copper tube though. If it all goes to hell at least you have a manufactured product and an established market to sell it to. Of course the more reactive metals will require proper storage to stop them tarnshing.

Not sure who will want to buy a handful of copper ingots off you if it all goes to hell.

9. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

See the recent edition of AHA Investor for the outlook on commodities.
    "Zinc looks esp unattractive..." etc. See the mag for an interesting read.

I agree though that having a suite of metals would be interesting but mostly rather useless. Better spend your money on something that is more likely to appreciate i think.

10. goldpelican

Good outlook - stack useful materials. Taking it a step further, saw a guy on Kitco who lives in Texas or somewhere hurricane prone - he stacks generators. Guess what people pay through the nose for when the local Lowes or Home Depot has sold out of the day before a hurricane.

11. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Whilst I have not read the AHA article, I do consider zinc to be quite stackable.

The uses are many fold, but primarily in the maritime, paint and galvanic industries. Another, not widely known area, is in fireworks. If the SHTF, the latter use just may cause the price on the black market to increase exponentially.

12. trew

Black market? For zinc ?

I wouldn't have a clue where to go legally sell zinc, let alone where to go illegally sell it (is there such a thing?) :lol:

13. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sims Metal

Norstar
    And most other metal recyclers will buy it off you

14. trew

I bet they don't pay anywhere near spot - especially to joe public with a couple of bars

15. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The more you sell to them ,the higher % they pay you
    You need to have an account an a ABN
    Joe public with no company ABN ,they will only take $75 worth of scrap a week of you :/
    To many stolen cars ended up an the recyclers in previous years :eek:

16. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think about it. In Victoria it is illegal to even have a slingshot. What do you think they will eventually do to a substance that can cause explosions?

Try a ships chandler.

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

With Zinc the comment relates to oversupply and likely dwindling demand. The only SHTF scenarios i consider likely in Aust is a natural hazard so your fireworks black market is unlikely to affect the price imo.

18. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

19. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I bought a few solar panels during flood and bumped up the price a little. Had to at least cover my a$$ for fuel, pickup and out of pocket expenses.

If you are all for capitalism and free market, then you are allowed to ask any price for any fkn product during any fkn calamity.
    However, it is up to you whether or not you wish to apply ethics and the golden rule of treating others how you want to be treated.

According to some here, there is an issue of 'ethics' during calamity. Okay, far enough, but lets not go all double standards. Huh? What? Double Standards?
    Yeah, you read right; double standards.
    So, let me get something straight; it's okay for you to stack precious metals and sell/trade at a higher price during bad times, but it's not okay for you to stack generators and sell/trade at a higher price during bad times?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    I tell you what, give me your contact details people; I could make a damm mint from you all. Buying your stock at cost price to only then mark it up to the 'real' new temp market value.
    Oh, that's right' market values change. What about fuel for cars/vehicles? Surely you are okay with paying extra whenever our suppliers jack up the price due to a nation bombing their oil fields (putting aside conspiracy theories and real world truths)? Nobody complains paying more for a product or service due to bad times.

If you are the only person in town with a certain product, and a hundred other people wanted to buy it from you, how much is that product worth? As much as you fkn ask - period.

If you are okay with stacking precious metals during 'bad times' you should also be okay with stacking generators during 'bad times'.

Consumers do not have to buy a generator off you if your asking price is perceived too much.

The only things us humans need for survival is food, water and shelter. All else is a luxury.

20. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

I wouldn't bother stacking copper bars as said above if anything go for copper coins. Liquid, have a face value, and almost no premium. You'd be amazed by how many kilos of pennies you can fit in a 5 gallon paint bucket. That reminds me. If anyone in.US or Canada is intested, I have a large stack of nickel and copper bullion and would be into trading some for junk silver pm me if you're interested.