Australian Budget speech Mark II

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Clawhammer, May 14, 2011.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anything about the floods/ flood levy (the tax that is, not the dirt berm :) )

2. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

On the mental health issue 1 of my good mates has a theory it goes like this .....Australia has 1 of the highest rates of mental illness in the western world
    most kids eat Weet bix
    who makes weet bix?
    sanitarium
    whats a sanitarium? A place for the mentally unsound
    who owns sanitarium?
    the church...i cant remember which one
    He reckons its a failed brainwashing attempt that backfired He will not touch anything thats made by sanitarium he said you would have to hold me down & force it down my neck with a stick lol

3. euphoria

euphoria New Member

As noble as that is, I still do not agree with it. The Government should not be providing monetary incentives to people to live somewhere. If they wanted workers, let the private companies pay to bring people over. They do that already and will continue to do so if the candidate is good. All the gubbermint will do is entice the dropkicks that won't work in the industry (at all?) anyway and cram the city. That is the difference between public and private.

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Im starting to like that friend of yours
    :)

Is he a property bull too ?

:D

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

he is an aircraft engineer the most normal guy i know & has been a rocksolid friend for 30 years... side note i dont eat anything from sanitarium either :cool:

6. millededge

millededge Active Member

australia wide, abs stats as per link:

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/MF/6302.0

if we can extrapolate median weekly to annual, and yes there are a few assumptions, then:

median is about 1300 pw per person

52 x 1300 = 67600

tax brackets as follows:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm

basically, 67600 and 75000 are both in the middle, ie 4350 + 30cents for every dollar earned over 35k

I fully agree with the treasurer, that 150k for two working adults or even as a single salary averaged over two people (not counting dependents) is very much in the middle.

I can already hear the cries from places like Tasmania, where a redistributive Marxist mindset is a steadfast cultural fixation.

I'd even say a lot of those with that combined income have a negatively geared IP, basically taking my taxes to pay off their IP.

Crocodile tears, I think, these cries of "rich".

Anyone on 70k in inner Sydney just gets by when you add the numbers up.

7. euphoria

euphoria New Member

'rich' is relative. If you live in an affluent area or try to keep up with the jones's you wont feel rich. Take that salary and live in a remote area and you will feel very rich. cost of living is not even across the country, nor will it ever be, nor should it be. its pointless to chase a high end job on 100,000 in the inner city where after rent/food/ transport etc it is very possible that you end up with less discretionary income than someone earning 50,000 further out. its all relative. stuff the jones's they are probably struggling just as much. 150k is not uber wealthy, nor is it enough to retire after 5 years. But it is definately beyond subsistence living which is where welfare should end.

8. millededge

millededge Active Member

with you there

NG has got to go too

9. silverc

silverc New Member

I have a tv but rarely watch it. Nice summary fishball - mostly agree.

I particularly agree with your comment on the extra funding to "deliver tailored, quality training places".

I must be the only one round here that doesn't have a certificate I or II or even III in some crap subject. The government just hands these certificates out to anyone who cares to turn up at their course - never heard of anyone failing - they only give a grade something like "competent".

Just the other day an unemployed friend was offered a Cert II in business administration. She has 40 years in the workforce working at higher levels than a basic admin officer in commonwealth departments, banks, mining companies and local government. I told her she has enough experience and skills to be running the course.

And why hasn't she got a job now? None here for those skills and her age is also against her -she was offered a job recently supposedly office admin for a local swimming pool company - involved answering the phone, email, building certification admin, looking after two toddlers (no car seats provided - use her own car), driving them around, cleaning their house, running after the wife doing odd jobs for her in her unprofitable business - great match of skills and experience....not. Of course this was not in the job description..... what job description?

Just heard another story of 58yo male with experience in gardening & lawn mowing - putting him on a retail course cert II - what a waste of government money - no my money.

Being a DINK for the past 8 years and a SINK for 2 years I have learnt there is nothing to look forward to in any budget - not even promised improvements in health budgets - lifetime medical conditions compel me to have private health cover - which without an income I have nothing to rebate the 30% against. Any recommendations for somewhere else to live?

10. euphoria

euphoria New Member

NG??

11. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

lol I also don't have any certificates...load of bs imo, apart from tradies, nursing or teaching most people wouldn't need or use those certs.

12. millededge

millededge Active Member

negative gearing..it's gtg

13. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Even 150,000 between two is a lot.

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2614076.html