Are people too focused on Pandas and Lunars here ?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Austacker, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Well after a little observation I have seen a remarkable turnaround on here from traditional "Silver is Silver" to people paying very high Numismatic premiums on Pandas and Lunars. For those that have been here a while you would recall that a 1966 50c was a good easy sale and you would get a $1 premium easy per coin. Now you are lucky to get a 50c premium and even then a tough sale. Pre Decimal is almost impossible to sell for spot. It has to be below to get any takers. Then you have general silver and in this example I will say the $10 series a good staple coin for stackers, again I have an auction under spot and no bidders "Yet"

So has everyone got blinkers on for Pandas and Lunars or have I got it wrong ? If you look at most posts for new stackers they are told keep away from Numismatics and stack, yet everyone else goes and buy Pandas and Lunars at double even triple silver value in the hope of profiting further down the track. Even though you will have a lot less metal. Will the numismatic value exceed the silver value you put on your stack ? If you look at history you would say Yes the numismatic value will increase further and I agree, however if Silver does go to da moon and hits $100, $250, $500 etc... will you then wish you had a lot more silver than numismatics ?

So this is my observation at the moment and I am keen to hear others opinions. For me even after fees Ebay will give a better return on Pre-Decimal and other not so popular silver than here by the looks of it, BTW not sour grapes just an observation ?

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shut up,don't let the cat out of the bag,[​IMG]
    I'm making a killing ( well I was )
    Funny you say that a well know dealer was asking the same question today,
    How long will this mania last

It started with
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]

Now I have to find a dragon emoticon :lol:

3. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Plain silver bullion, 1 oz bars and coins have a pretty consistent track record on Feebay for selling approx 6-7 US$ over spot. Pandas, Lunars do go for much more and have you seen the premiums on RAM Roos? More than Lunars!!!

4. da-shaz

da-shaz New Member

and

[​IMG]

?

5. Sargeant Argent

Sargeant Argent New Member

Its a mad rush for dragons theyre beautiful and so are the pandas but for me I feel like I'm late to the pm game so I'm not going to buy premium bullion in quantity until I have a mush larger stack. That said I'd like a 1 oz. Silver and 1/4 oz gold dragon for stack variety if the price is right.

6. spannermonkey

Looks like [​IMG]

Has run out of steam :lol:

7. Aurora et luna

Aurora et luna Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is a very large group of members here interested in stacking bullion/numismatic hybrids like Pandas and Lunars.
    In a way it's an opportunity to stack and take up a hobby as well. Hopefully there's a windfall profit a few years down the track when they sell their coins.
    I have over 20 people right now on my list that are interested in building up multiple sets of the Series 2 Lunars with the aim of selling full sets a few years down the track.
    Anyway if anyone wants to help them out or make them an offer or would like to be placed on the list, send me a Pm.
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-14174-lunar-swaps.html

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Love my Panda's and Lunar's !!!!!!!!

REDBACK

9. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Redback you have hit it on the head. We all love our lunars (my case) or pandas and that is where we go wrong. Any business decision should be based on fact not emotion. We own a lot of PM coins I wish we had never bought because we would have had a lot more kgs if we had bought straight bullion, which I am sure will make a better return than the PM coins in the future. Maybe because we are in the older age bracket I am looking at a quicker return than someone say 30 or 40 yrs old. For the above reasons I am strongly resisting the Dragon Fever

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Give in to the Dark Side
    It's Sexier,more seductive and makes for better Dinner conversations......You know you want to...
    Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt

;)

REDBACK

11. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

First - Core stack ounces

Second - enjoy your interests(Lunars) and have a punt?

Third - shoot fake Pandas

< ok had to get it in there somewhere :) >

12. zurnaik

zurnaik Member

Imagine if there was a year of the panda :O

13. spannermonkey

[​IMG]

How boring would it be stacking 1kg/10oz bars :)

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Since silver hasn't gone TO THA MOON IN SIX MONTHS!!1!eleventy, perhaps hedging your bets with a half bullion, half numismatic strategy isn't such a bad idea?

I've got a bunch of pre-decimal that's for sale at the right price, but I've always had an appreciation for quality bullion products too.

15. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

I completed a set of tigers with AEL's help some time ago and that was the end of me, so beware his innocent looking seductive post above. My judgement went out the window because the completed set (minus the 10kg) just looked so brilliant. I am now attending L.A (lunars anon) in the hope of breaking the addiction. Other forum members also attend the meetings but we are more secretive than the Masonic Lodge so can't reveal their identities.

16. spannermonkey

Don't forget
    rehab is for quitters :p

17. Savige Silver

Savige Silver New Member

Yeah true SMonkey

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Only way mate is to go cold turkey..You just have to have the Strength and fortitude to pick them all up..don't think about it to much and dump them in the binQuick because if you think about it you won't do itit must be impulsive..You will feel a weight lift off your shoulders immediately. :cool:

REDBACK

By the way what date is Rubbish day around your area?

19. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

PM sending... :D

20. goldpanner

goldpanner New Member

You start out doing all the correct things, following a business plan, buying nice cheap bars and plain old 1 oz coins but in the end it all gets a little boring and you long for something different, then along comes the DRAGON thing and you are swept along in the emotion of the event and you just have to have some.
    Its a bit like taking part in a historic event all this happening right here in WA where I live, I don't regret it for one minute!
    One day I too may end up at Lunars anonymous! :D