APMEX Dragon silver rounds & rectangles

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Matthew 26:14, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

I see apmex have dragon rounds/rectangles silver in various sizes, curious to know if anyone has an idea who the mint for them is ?

2. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

I believe the dragon are made by the same mint that makes the regular APMEX rounds and bars,
    and if I recall this is Sunshine Minting. Not sure on this, but they are nice.

3. Matthew 26:14

Agreed. If you are looking for low premium rounds then those dragons are probably better than buffaloes etc.

4. Kirk

Kirk Member

I asked as well - they (APMEX customer service) said it was sunshine minting

5. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hello Matthew:26.14, it is Sunshine minting. Iam ordering tonight if anyone wants me to get some for them. Don't mean to hi jack your post, I will delete if you wish.
    Regards Maggie

6. Matthew 26:14

Well these dragon rounds from apmex are probably a better buy than buffaloes but remember they have an unlimited mintage and apmex can sell them all through 2012, 2013.... and any year after that they please. They just ring up their minter and get another however many struck. They could be striking more in 2018 or something, who knows! I doubt they will ever gain a collectors premium.

But compared to the buffalo rounds which at the moment @ BB are $A34.54 an ounce if you buy 100 and the Dragons @ apmex are $US34.09 if you buy 100+.

So in the end after shipping etc the premium might be like 50c-$1 more for the dragon round. But even if it ends up being $35 an ounce for your silver, its better than paying like $350 for a 10oz bar for liquidity ie. 10 x 1oz is better than 1 x 10oz !

7. Matthew 26:14

8. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are these the same Dragon 1 oz rounds being talked about in this "old" thread of 5 months ago?

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/159122/2012-1-oz-silver-year-of-the-dragon-round.aspx

Prices in USD: Gainesville has them at $32.86 each (.89 over spot) while APMEX has them at $35.06 for the same wire transfer price. Admittedly, Gainesville requires a minium $2000 order to use its bankwire option.

Prices are about .10 dearer than Buffalo rounds but they are a nice variation if one already owns a mob of the buffalo. :)

Some character on Gumtree is trying to sell them for $49 AUD each and another on Oz feebay for $50 AUD. :lol:

9. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

The APMEX ones are different , and they are very nice looking , the first batch I recieved looked great and the second did not look as good but hey it is bullion, they also come in sealed sheets which is nice.

10. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/159122/2012-1-oz-silver-year-of-the-dragon-round.aspx
    http://www.apmex.com/Product/65011/1_oz_Year_of_the_Dragon_Silver_Round_999_Fine.aspx

Sure. They are not the same design. But they are still 1 oz and bullion. Yet there is a price difference of approx $2.00 USD. Despite the price difference, they are still quite close to spot so nice little coins (both of them!) I think.

11. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

I own some of the apmex gainesville and provident versions. Out of the three my vote goes easily to the provident rounds. The dragon design and proof-like finish is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I owned more of em.

12. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

13. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

If you just trying to get cheap silver though, the gainesvillecoins ones are the obvious choice. The only round you can consistently get cheaper is the buffalo for 10 cents less. To get a dragon on the coin I'd readily pay an extra 10 cents.

14. Matthew 26:14

The provident ones in bulk paying cash etc you can buy for $1.09 over spot which is about a 3.5% premium and thats pretty good going for silver.

15. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

I don't know if one of you guys just took my advice or not but suddenly provident is sold out of the rounds. I haven't seen them sell out in a long time if ever, and I check their site daily. It could just be spill over demand after their half ounce lunar dragons sold out early yesterday.

16. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They only ship to canada and usa...:( I would love to have that dragon coin:)

17. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

I have a few for sale but it'd be international shipping and a premium romancontrol would have conniption fits over. Probably not worth it :p

18. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

sorry, am I not allowed to say that yet? Just realized that's probably advertising and I don't think I'm allowed to do that outside the trading forum yet. My bad.

19. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

You worry too much :)

20. Honestcoins

Honestcoins New Member

I was born paranoid; ripped from my home on the day of my birth.