Anyone ever find ammo or guns,bombs?

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by needler420, Nov 6, 2012.

1. needler420

needler420 Member

I found tons of different caliber rounds around my house. Rifle,shotgun,handgun the whole 9 yards. I find them quite often. A lot more often then I would have thought when I got into detecting. Mostly empty shells but some may be live I can't tell. Its in a coffee can in my room so its best to be fragile with them. I like finding these kind of stuff. The only time i get a smile on my face besides finding money is finding old weapons and relics etc.

On some websites I'm on I see lots of cool finds from people all over the world. A lot of these people finds bombs and guns and stuff.

I've seen it all and more frequent then I would have ever imagined.

I've seen people on a site on I'm on found human remains from detecting downed pieces of plane and other various metallic objects that expose even more finds. I've seen whole live grenades dug up and bomb squads called in.

I know you guys are moslty Aussie members so I'm wondering do you guys ever find this stuff?

I'm in FL so I don't get the chance to find natural gold. Pretty much none in my state and very little on the east coast. You guys who are able to find natural pieces of gold are very very lucky. Best I get is the beaches here in FL. Which its not like everyone who detects finds a spainsh hoard of gold. The best we get here is hunting jewelry on the beach which I've yet to do.

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

prob not; there are strict gun control laws compared to US

3. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Eye' in old Halls Creek there is a patch of ground littered with old brass 12g shotgun cartridges, its like they had a gun battle or somethin maybe like a shootin range, but my bob's worth.. the gold diggers of the day were shootin birds for food, as most of the gun jetsom & pellets was near a water hole. I have dug up a blank artillery shell, thank Neptune's trident it was not live :p the story and pic of it here on the boards somewhere :cool: 1992 just discussing this the other night I was in the Solomon islands working. It was not uncommon to find Japaneses or American WW2 ordnance on Vella Lavella, Kolombangra, and Gizo islands.

The boss, GP likes us to keep a low profile on this sorta talk here, so I shall end it by saying. Well done to the Australian bomb disposal unit, for working on Honiara. It has been said that the Americans brought in so many explosive devices to Honiara airfield that it may take 100 years for the combined bomb disposal units to make this islands airstrip safe.

4. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not strictly detecting, but as a kid I was in the Army cadets and we used to have weekend etc camps on old WWII sites in the Darwin area (the whole place is an old WWII site). One in particular was absolutely full of old ordinance, literally belts of machine gun ammo and anti aircraft shells lying in piles around the place that had supposedly been destroyed after the war but more often than not you could still find complete projectiles in amongst the heaps a good 40 years after the war ended even in spite of regular annual bushfires. The whole place was a scrap merchants paradise what with all the brass and copper lying around for the taking. That area also contains gold as well but you would be digging a target every two feet or less.

5. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

While we are at it, my home town Moora was home to 50,000 troops or more......Before deployment during WW2 ( bless their soul's ) I'm researching where the tent pads and cooking ovens, dwellings use to be now .

Edit: Spelling! :rolleyes:

6. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

lead slugs are the bane of prospectors with metal detectors on the old fields of Victoria. All that hope of a solid little nugget and..................................... a lead slug. :(

7. Auspm

Auspm New Member

You'd be surprised. I've found a number of shell casings in my travels in Sydney suburban parks.

Also don't forget that during WW2, a lot of urban parks were taken over by the military as staging and training areas.

8. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

9. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Out the back of my place near Logan village the yanks had a base in what is now a pine forest,(going to be yarrabilla a new suburb development with 80000 people soon) man do they leave some junk behind used to ride my dirt bike there and saw tones of ordinance just lying on the ground. Uxo's are regularly found. This is going to be a big problem not only to the developers/workers but to the poor fools that buy in at stupid land prices.
    At least the army is close by At canungra.

10. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thousands of lead bullets, pellets and musket balls. I should have saved them for scrap, but I throw most of them out.

Havent found any bombs or guns.