Anybody buy today?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jim4silver, Dec 12, 2015.

1. bassmuso

bassmuso New Member

Just a little Kiwi stacker here,
    Interesting to see the debates on pricing.

I just got a phone call to say my 100 x 1oz ABC Eureka rounds are on their way $26.60/oz NZD cheapest Silver I could find.

Since Oct 2014, when I watched a seminar by Mike Maloney regarding The Fed/Fiat currency/ PM's, I have been an avid saver in silver.
    As I was a complete novice with no one to get advise from in New Zealand, I had only one contact for buying silver, Morris Watson in Auckland, whom I had bought 0.999 fine silver rods for making colloidal silver years previously.
    After discussing with them I ordered & received (after 4 weeks) 15 x 1Kg 0.999 fine silver bars @24.00/oz NZD (~$22.00 spot), when I collected the lead time was then 6 weeks. (more orders)

As time went on & I found more suppliers, I started saving hard & every time I had enough for 20 or more oz's I'd buy (from my dealer 20+ price was better)
    The 100 Eureka rounds are my latest acquisition which bring me up to 917 oz's - my goal being 1000oz's

What is interesting for me & I have had little explanation, is that looking back now to when I first started buying, Oct 2014 the NZD was @0.80 USD. My buy price of $24.00 (22.00 spot) must have been wholesale premium + casting fees.
    My next buy was 100 x 2014 Canadian Maples @28.00/oz.
    The cheapest I have got was 20 x 1oz buffalo coins for 23.80/oz.
    My average buy price for 917oz's is $25.00/oz NZD

From Oct 2014 to today the NZD spot silver price has remained fairly constant ~$21.70/oz spot average (up & down), yet the NZD/USD exchange rate has fallen from 0.80c Oct 2014 to 0.65c Jan 25 2016 (~23% drop) at a fairly constant rate.
    At the moment if you buy kg bars you can still get for just over $24.00/oz, the same price I paid for in Oct 2014, where as it should be closer to $30.00/oz (adding 23% for exchange rate)

I thought all commodities traded internationally had to be paid in USD's. I know this is changing but currently the USD is still considered the International currency, so why didn't the NZD spot silver price not
    rise at the same rate the NZD fell over that period 0.80 - 0.65??

Could it be an indicator that New Zealand is remaining fairly stable economic wise - due to the differences of exchange rates/commodity prices/etc.
    From what I have read gold & silver remain at a constant store value & currencies fluctuate around them - taking the SLV & GLD manipulation into consideration.

As a note: gold has increased in NZD value over the same period while silver remains fairly constant.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful the prices haven't gone up it as it gives me time to save to get to my goal (hopefully before SHTF), but it doesn't make make sense.

Ideas??

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The silver price in USD has been dropping since 2014 :-

[​IMG]

The NZD has dropped against the USD which is offsetting the USD price, giving you a (relatively) stable silver spot price in NZD.

3. PeterS

PeterS Member

I have had a similar experience. Even though spot and exchange rates sometimes seem to go up and down like a toilet seat, in AUD what I spend has been relatively stable and allowed me to budget for my silver spending. It has also given me a cost averaging effect which I think has worked well.

4. fltacoma

fltacoma Member

I bought three 2016 silver eagles to add to my wife, son, and my collection of silver eagles. I also bought a 2007 1/10 oz platinum eagle :) (I'm collecting the little ones by date, and shouldn't take long to assemble since there are only 12 years' worth!

5. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I bought some 2 & 5 sucres old silver coins from ecuador, some USA peace dollar and a proof silver coin of Quito 2004 Capital Iberoamericana de la cultura. I am out of budget today, probably on the next visit of that store.

6. Jsvand5

Jsvand5 Member

Im finally caving today and grabbing a couple 10oz kooks. Was hoping to wait on spot to drop below $13us but it's not looking like that is happening soon.

7. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

I caved today and bought 3 tubes of PRE-1921 AU/BUmorgans. Premiums are up there, but the price is up ~$1 difference per coin from Dec sales, so not that bad but I'll ride the wave up. If I lose a $1 per coin its only $60.

8. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I saw that one of my dealers had some 1982 Prospectors still in the plastic sheets for $2.50 over spot per coin and I had to get them. The thin plastic wrap seems to have protected against toning well (as long as no breaks in it), but the coins get some minor "bag marks" from clanking against each other and the wrap is so thin it offers no real protection for that. Anyway, I can say they are definitely BU since never opened since leaving the mint.

Also got some National 1oz silver bars from the good old days for $1 over spot.

Jim

9. MotleyDude

MotleyDude New Member

I bought early this morning right before the jump. Love it when I time it like that, even though I didn't mean to..

10. Jim4silver

Picked up a 2012 2oz. Lunar Dragon for $60. Keeping that for the collection but I am having a bit of buyer's remorse. I won't be able to "flip" that coin since I paid much over spot. I really like the coin but I think the earlier Lunar Dragon design was a bit better. Also got some cool art bars for $1 over melt. Here is one of them, I've never seen it before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Merry-Chris...et-Kohoutek-/161938597753?hash=item25b44ae779

Jim

11. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

I have been trying to buy, the big LCS is sold out, and have been selling out the last couple of days. Trying to find silver locally.

12. Jim4silver

Why do you think they are sold out now? My local stores are all flush will all types of silver with premiums at "normal" levels. The wholesale market is good now so your local store should have no trouble re-stocking. I think it would take silver getting knocked down in the $12's to see a big rush of local buying that dries things up again.

I like to buy locally too and fortunately have a relatively decent amount of local stores/dealers, so I never needed to order online. But the premiums online today are pretty good it seems.

Jim

13. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

No idea but have been to two of their locations and they are one of the larger coin stores in the Seattle area. They told me people have been coming in buying large amounts of silver. I have been buying from them for years and haven't seen such a shortage. I could only speculate on why, or it could just be a coincidence. I just know I have decided to go in and pick up some recently and just started educating my 6 year old on precious metals since he was interested after I told him about how I would love to go and buy silver when I was his age and he bought his first round just the other day.

14. Jim4silver

Picked up two 2012 Canadian Cougar silver coins- no spots! for $21 each. Also got a mix of some Libertads- contained the years 2011, 13, 14- no spots either and nice condition for $19 each. I got to cherry pick thru a small collection one of my local guys bought recently. All coins had been well taken care of by original owner it seems. He also had some other Canadian wildlife coins in the collection but all others had at least one spot or more. I would have actually paid more for the Cougars since those are relatively scarce with NO spots from what I have seen so I feel I got a good deal on those. I don't really care much about modern Libertads (I prefer 1982-1995) but these looked good and I don't have many later years in my stash.

Jim

15. Jim4silver

16. SilverFox

SilverFox New Member

That's a hell of a score, thanks for mentioning it. The local LCS has some old Libertads, may have to shoot over there and check them out again :)

17. Stack'n Oz's

Stack'n Oz's New Member

I picked up 5, 5oz Scottsdale Buttons. They're pretty big.

18. Jim4silver

New addition to the stash today. Looks like the one below. Paid $38. Was told it had approximately 2.2 oz pure silver for the whole set. I need to go through the Krause book to check the ASW's on these. Coins aren't anything special but first Turkish silver I have ever bought.

Contains:
    1960 Silver 10 Lira
    1970 Silver 25 Lira
    1971 Silver 50 Lira
    1972 Silver 50 Lira

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-1960-1972-Mint-Pack-Set-of-4-Silver-Coins-/361019957883

EDIT: I checked and looks like they are only approximately 1.8 oz pure silver total. Still happy though - looks like they have some semi numi value built in.

Jim

19. Jim4silver

Got one of these today cheap. A silver medal from Britain. Mine looks like the one in the photo and came in the same type of box.

Does anyone know what the silver percentage is in this medal? I bought it based on it being sterling silver, but the seller didn't know for sure what it was. I searched several listings online and they just say "silver" and not what the purity is.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Britis...onation-Medal-King-George-cased-/380801071845

Jim

20. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

From peer to peer and local reseller picked today:
    SML with wolf privy 2016
    SML 1993
    SML 2015 with privy
    Silverback Gorilla Congo 2015
    Australian silver kangaroo 2016
    Australian wedgetail 2015
    Kokaburra 2016
    Kokaburra 1990