Another dragon question

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by upandaway, Oct 7, 2011.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Hi guys,

Followed the site for some time but haven't felt a need to post until now. I was hoping for a few opinions from the wealth of great views here!

I can put an order in now for some 1/2 ounce 2012 lunar dragons 6 weeks out with a dealer. His pricing is very fair and I was unsure what sort of price I could get on the auction sites Aus $? Thing was I have never ever bought a 1/2 ounce coin and wondered if they are particularly popular? I would like to use the proceeds to buy some timber wolves as I missed them initially. Is there any way I could get stuck with these or am I worrying unnecessarily as it still 6 weeks or so before I could even get hold of them?

Many thanks.

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I think that you are worrying unecessarily. It will just depend on the price that you are looking to sell them for. I don't think that you would be stuck with them though. That said, i don't consider 1/2oz coins to be my favourites because of the higher premiums but i do have some. I prefer the larger sizes.

3. slipperysilver

slipperysilver New Member

I would agree with the above, I also usually buy at least 1oz sizes, but this time I have also bought one 1/2oz. I am not sure how popular they are going to be, but they do carry a higher premium on them. Someone will eventually want them, or perhaps whenever silver prices go back up you can sell them back to a dealer. How many did you buy?

4. SilverSale

SilverSale Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The 1/2oz will be readily available for about another 12 months, so you have plenty of time to decide.

5. upandaway

upandaway Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the plunge earlier and bought 50. I can buy more if I want and was actually toying with ordering another roll or two. I looked at both 1 and 2 ounce and the 2's were actually less than the 1's going for normalish mark-up but I wonder if that will rise!

The 1 oz coins available are actually about double what they would usually be listed at, yet the 1/2 ounces I have bought are at the normal price you would expect to pay; that's what has sold it to me. On flea bay they are going for about 80% more than I paid and they are selling so I hope it ends up a wise buy.

If silver stays down a while I'll hopefully be able to do well and buy some Timber's!!

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I've bought 1/2 oz Dragons because the 1 oz is over-priced.
    Also bought the 2 oz coin for less than the 1 oz so as you mentioned you were ordering several perhaps consider the 2 oz or even the 5 oz which seems to be increasing in price and getting harder to find.

7. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

What you think of 1/2 oz coloured?
    I buy a few to complete my orders. I think i Will put in eBay.

8. Rippo

Rippo Member

Where did you purchase your 1/2oz?

9. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Prospect stamp and coins