America the Beautiful - 5oz silver Quarters

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Anyone buying the America the Beautiful series? There's the 5oz bullion coins, that are a large US quarter, and 5 designs a year are released. 2010 began with the first 5 and the 2011 coins you can still pick up for like spot + $4. The 2010 coins shot up to like $700 or more each but have crashed back to like under their issue price. 56 coins in all will be released, one for each state and the 6 territories of the US.

I think the 2010 mintage was 27,000 per coin and 2011 was 33,000. Anyone getting into them? Given their premium is about that of the ASE's which are made in their millions, I didnt think there were a bad buy ?

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Availability in Aus is holding me back

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yeah, I was thinking of getting a few, but got taken up with some bargain bears instead.

I'm surprised these 5oz coins aren't selling for much much more.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The 2010s are under issue price now?

Might see if I can track them down if they're selling on a bullion + premium basis.

5. shano73

shano73 Member

Provident Metal have some of the 2011 issued 5oz Silver coins for $158 USD if your still interested.

6. Matthew 26:14

I believe $279 was the 2010 release price, you can pick them up at apmex etc for about $250 now.

7. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

The 2010 Bullion mintage is 33,000/coin
    2010 Collector mintage is 27,000/coin

The 2011 Bullion mintage is 126,500/coin(?)
    2011 Collector mintage is 35,000/coin

The 2010 Bullion sets are going for around $1250 while the original sell price set by the Mint was around $900 so they seem to be holding value. Plus the real money in these are the graded coins. The collector versions, with the exception of the Mt Hood have sold out at the Mint last time I looked.

The 2011s, on the other hand , look to be in a mess. The first 2 bullion coins for 2011 have sold out their allotments to the distributors while the remaining 3 are way behind the curve and really don't look as though they'll sell out any time soon if at all. "Glut" would seem to describe the situation. The collector versions for 2011 are also not looking too healthy sale wise either.

My thinking is the Mint has to make some changes to a program that has been dysfunctional from its inception. The Mint is required by law to produce the bullion coins and unless Congress changes that law will have to continue that production but they can reduce the mintages down to more realistic levels like 50,000. The Collector versions are a different animal. Like their cousins, the ASE, the Mint is NOT required to produce these coins. In the past the Mint has chosen not to fabricate ASEs for some years for various reasons. In light of the lagging sales I could see them choosing to discontinue the Collector 5oz ATBs or dropping their mintage down to around that of the 2010s, thereby reducing the glut of 5oz coins in the market. I guess we'll find out.

Price wise the bullion 2011s are floating with spot. Bullion 2010s are harder to find, holding a higher premium due to their being the first coins of the issue.

8. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I had several of these and sold them at maybe a very small profit then put the money into something much better. The ones I had were poorly struck and ugly coins and one side is just a huge quarter. I dont see these going anywhere but around spot like ASEs. I dont know why my country cant put out a nice coin someday, what about the first lady sets? those are real winners, it is bad enough we have to deal with the politicians for 4 or 8 years I really dont want them on my gold or silver let alone their wives... even if we did a wildlife series like canada it would be at least something different than just typical government US coins...

9. jc888888888

jc888888888 New Member Silver Stacker

HEY HEY:):):) Take a look at the 2009 ultra high relief gold saint G. probably one of the prettiest coins ever minted....................... but your right about about those 5 oz hockey pucks , they should melt them for dental fillings........... and those gold old broads are despicable , the only thing they are good for is when the owner actually figures out what he bought , he dumps them on fee bay, i have picked up a couple graded 70,s for melt ,but you got to wrap them in a rag before you put them in the safe, as they will scare the sh@# out of the other coins in there:):)

10. Matthew 26:14

I picked up a 2010 Yellowstone 5oz for $170 and I reckon it looks pretty cool. The back being a giant quarter does look odd, but then again I'm used to looking at an 85 year old woman on the back of coins so a giant quarter is somewhat an improvement !

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Youre making me laugh!!! Yeah the high relief gold saint is a nice coin though.

12. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Not for me thanks, there are nicer coins out there that potentially will give a better return.

13. badhop55

badhop55 New Member

14. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I have obtained the current shiny series, not the grey ones. I was hoping to try and collect the full set over time but possibly getting turned off by the comments here. I also purchased the Air-Tite capsules made for these 5oz coins.

15. Matthew 26:14

It would be very difficult to sell the entire series at its end. Why? Its a 56 coin set, 5 ounces each, total of 280 ounces. Assuming spot is about $30, you have to find someone to spend $8,400. And thats just spot price. You'd want a collectors premium also, so assuming you get that, you have to find someone willing to spend $12,000? $15,000? on the set. Very small market at those prices.

16. j-son

j-son New Member

i have a roll of these coins...comes in a tube of 10.

i think they are nice...not sure if i think they are nice enough to get more...but they are nice government issued bullion.

17. mike titanic

mike titanic New Member

Another yank here..Think of it this way,if nothing else the common issued pucks as we call them at or near spot is a good deal if you are looking to stack.The ones sold from the US mint have a P mintmark on them and are issued in smaller numbers.They sell for $204.99 each so about $41. an ounceThe jury is still out on whether the series will be an asset to anyones collection.My take on it is 56 X5=280 ounces by programs end.

18. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

These are being faked in China now, so I suggest everyone buying on ebay be very careful.

19. TomD

TomD Member

I got a couple, including one slabbed PCGS MS69, from Apmex for spot +$2.99, essentially bullion price. Hard to lose there.