alcohol

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by robmetal, Feb 23, 2015.

1. robmetal

robmetal New Member

how does one store alcohol for the long term (talking about 10 years and up)

i have a back yard with few spots covered by thick trees from the sun pretty much the whole year round ..
    my goal is to buy .. say 10 big bottles of grey goose and henessy and want to store them for a loooong time (not really an investment just something for me to enjoy later on)

i was thinking of making a "fortified" waterproof wood box and bury it in the darkest place in the backyard

what do you guys think or recommend?

thank you

2. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds good to me, somewhere dry is most important u would think.

3. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

lol spirits store indefinitely. if you can make a box strong enough that it wont crack or get damaged in any way and is water tight so it will be kept completely dry. then u can bury that thing for 1000 years

4. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I've found that the liver works well for storing alcohol

GF and Holdfast like this.
  5. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Goose and Henny will be around for a looooong time. Storing them more for inflation purpose?

6. robmetal

robmetal New Member

storing it for inflation would be another reason that i would win in the end

the main purpose for this is the idea of having aged liquor within my reach
    i know that vodka and cognac dont really age due to high alcohol content but i still believe it would change the taste slightly into a more spirited drink

also i chose grey goose and henesy because of the high quality spirit they offer so storing those would give me a piece of mind that they are of quality

im very new to this idea so i dont know much about different liquors worthy of long time storage and techniques

my main vision is pulling out one on very special occasions and things of that matter

7. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

Spirits don't age once they are out of their barrels. Things that do not see a barrel at all, like most vodkas, jdon't "age" at all in a traditional sense.

8. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I'd rather drink it now than having to dig twice (once to bury and once to recover) before I can taste it.

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We used to keep the apfelkorn in the freezer. Had bottles in there for years, it tastes nice when it is frosty cold.

10. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ This.

Both GG and Hennessy are "premium" brands, but there's nothing really that special about either of them. Vodka gets churned out by the megalitre and Hennessy sells tens of millions of bottles a year. They're both nice drinks, but not exactly something you need to save.

If you're looking to start a serious booze stack, look into single malts. There are actually rare ones out there and there's also a fair number of connoisseurs who buy and sell old (full) bottles.

11. robmetal

robmetal New Member

why single malts?

12. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am interested in hearing more about how to invest in alcohol :)

Generally, isn't wine the preferred booze to invest in?

13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think in the future they will have highly sensitive machines which will be able to analyse the components of expensive wine and then replicate them inexpensively.

Granted at the moment they can't even reproduce vanilla or strawberry very well but they are going for cheapness rather than accuracy and for ice cream etc. close enough is good enough.

For wines they need special storage arrangements, temperature control etc. And some are only good for a certain length of time, not indefinitely, so if you know you are going to want a wine in 10 years time you can select a bottle which will reach its peak in 10 years. However if you over shoot or undershoot it will not be as good.

I don't know much about single malts but with a higher alcohol content they might be easier to store and might just keep getting better with age.

14. Big A.D.

Mainly because after wine, single malt has the largest collector/secondary market.

Wine requires periodic "maintenance", very specific storage conditions and you need to drink it a the right time. Single malts are basically "set and forget".

If you're prepared to have a crack at tinkering with something like sloe gin or making your own spirit and aging it in a small barrel yourself, there are plenty of things you can create and stash away. You can find a range of things to try out that range in time frame from a few days to a few years, depending on how patient you are and it can be great fun too.

Personally, I'd pick out a few rare/limited release single malts (e.g. Dalmore, Macallan, Ardbeg) and put them away in a dry cupboard and forget about them for a decade or two. If I felt like drinking Grey Goose, I'd just pop into the bottle shop on the way home. It would have only been made a few months ago and the contents of the bottle aren't going to taste any different in ten years than they do now.

15. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

Its not my thing ... but things cant be good when drinking the slop from rotting vegetables is a popular past time .... and an asset class ...

16. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know what you're sayin' and if like most of us your only experience is with the run-of-the-mill stuff no one could knock you. I had the same experience with eating eggplant. I told someone once I didn't like it and they said "that's only because you haven't had it cooked right". I guess I'll have to chase that dragon down too one day :)

Almost unfortunately for me I had the opportunity of being supplied with some high quality spirits & educated by someone who knew their stuff (which Scotch to add water to, which ones to leave neat, sip and hold in the mouth and let the flavours develop etc)

I say 'unfortunately' because afterwards I couldn't drink the cheap stuff.. not even just to get drunk & get to sleep in a bush camp. I had to buy a titanium hip flask which wouldn't effect the flavour & carry the 'good stuff' out with me where ever I go :-D

17. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there any cheap stuff (e.g. Whisky, Scotch, etc) that I can buy in bulk (e.g 50 bottles of whatever), leave it in a cave for 30-40years, and have it appreciate in value (at least more than inflation) ?

18. Big A.D.

For anyone interested, this touring whisky tasting show is coming up around the country over the next few months: http://www.whiskylive.com.au/

For the price of a good bottle, you'll be able to taste over a hundred types of whisky and get your education on. Plus there's unlimited hot food included.

19. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The cheap stuff from 20 years ago is even cheaper now. Bad investment.

20. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Missed the last one so keen to make it this year. See you there ;)

Ps, if anyone knows where Aberlour 10 is in stock please PM me.