2017 1-oz Kook with a milkspot already... YAY!

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Gatito Bandito, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Wasn't present when I first received it. Been in its original capsule & in a small ziploc the whole time.

Right behind Queenie's eye.

Pretty small & faint, but definitely there & visible. Will check on it from time to time to see if it gets larger.

Nice going, Perth! :rolleyes:

Kook quality has been going downhill the past couple years...

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The Perth Mint aren't even trying anymore.

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I believe it's a race to develop milkspots these days :p

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm happy to say that I haven't bought a single lunar this year. I did buy some kooks awhile back, but I saved my pennies so I could buy a roll. I refuse to buy individuals for the reason of white spots. I buy a roll with the official Perth wrap. When I go to sell, I will sell the whole roll to an individual or dealer, whoever gives the best price. If they want to send them back after purchase, because they noticed white spots, they better hope that the perth wrap is still intact, because I will not take them back. Oh, and the price of the kooks must be around the same price as eagles or maples, when I go to purchase, or no deal. I'll just buy generic govt bullion thru my ownx.com account, to play the spot price of silver.

I'm tired of these jokers at the Perth who can get away with charging a fortune for their product, and yet not have better quality control in place. Until we start to vote with our money, they'll continue to have an apathetic attitude

5. RichB

RichB Member

Is there a possibility that milk spots are caused by touching the coins with bare hands?

6. SilverSiren

SilverSiren Active Member

I really like the perth mint 2017 designs across the board, but to date we haven't gone after ANY of them. In fact we have avoided all 2017 silver releases so far, I just had a feeling it would be better to hold off. We did get a sheet of 1g gold pandas even though as expected they aren't doing anywhere near as well as the 2016s did in the aftermarket this time last year. I was expecting the .9999 silver roosters to have spotting issues, not the kooks! Very disturbing, and it is even 2017 yet :/

7. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Are you sure it's a milk spot and not a tear stain from the Queeneepoo's eye? :)

8. webbaby

webbaby New Member

It's interesting that from same Perth mint, the other series won't have this milky problem.

9. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

What other series?

Koalas? Milk.
    Lunars? Milk.
    Kangaroos? Milk.
    Crocs? Milk.

Probably 5 of their most popular series. All have seen milk-spots, either thru photos, videos, forums, and personally in-hand.

And not saying it happens as often as some of the worst offenders out there, but it happens enough.

Kind of a shame.

10. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

I've never seen a mint who makes 'bullion' or semi-numi coins not have white spots. Heck, it's getting more and more rare for them not to product low mintage collectibles without spots, never mind the cheap stuff.

I just think we need to accept the that they will come on all pieces, less with collectibles. If you don't like it, as I don't like it, you move on to gold. :)).

11. webbaby

webbaby New Member

Wedge tailed eagle series. Has anyone seen the milky spot on it?

12. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I luckily don't many coins with milkspots, but the ones that have them are also among my favorite.:/

Brittania 2014 5oz start developing them later or I didn't see them before. They are very tiny though and mainly on the Queen.

One NORFED coin survived from 2008 without, but now it's in shitty condition. Might be something with the storage (I think one of rare coins that were stored with AirTite foam ring) or because of the transportation. Might be something else.

One coin came back with milkspots from NGC. It's only a few months old.

Ordered 4 Zombucks, first release. 2 had milkspots upon receiving.

All the rest Libertads, Lunars, etc. are without. I need to check some Libertads that I bought some months ago.

So it seems that problem is general and mainly happen with proof or bullion coins

Might be that companies need to be renamed accordingly:
    Royal Milking, Perth(manent) Milk, Canadian Milk, etc.;)