2012 Lunar Dragon design

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by goldpelican, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JDMseaweed

JDMseaweed Member

[​IMG]
    2012 Macau Dragon 1oz 999 Fine Silver Proof Coin with colour

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

My understanding is that a couple of dealers took silver pre-orders back in June or so but many dealers have not. Its unknown (at least to the public) how many pre-orders were taken from the dealers who did it. Also you have to remember that to some extent you are in the hands of the dealer to whom you made the pre-order as to whether it will honoured or not. But that I mean they might have the right to return your funds or substitute the 1oz dragon with another coin if they claim to have exceeded their allocation. I dont know what the silverstackers policy was but just saying I know of at least 1 dealer that had this "clause" in their pre-orders.

In any event, I would think the mint will essentially instruct their dealers not to price gouge on the silver dragons and to release them with the usual premium over spot which is pretty much $6-$7 at least in the first few weeks. Whether or not the mint can enforce this who knows but I suppose they can remind the various dealers that it would be a bad idea not to listen to the PM's requests.

All in all, I reckon the 300,000 1oz silver will last a month at most at "normal" prices. The more interesting element will be if the mint releases say a third, then another third, then another third to keep the coin circulating for longer. eg. a 100k in September, 100k in December and say 100k in Feb. This would reduce the ability of dealers etc to claim a "sell out" and put fantastic premium on the coins by November.

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Just had a look - the UK website that the image was at has taken it down.

4. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very much so ... Silverstackers has no policy on this. It's a forum, and doesn't sell anything (other than advertising) to help with running costs.

I was offered the opportunity to pre-order some silver dragons, and there was definitely a clause from my supplier regarding substitution. As Perth Mint had made no allocations at that point, it was NOT possible to guarantee that dragons would be delivered.

I ended up passing this offer onto another dealer, who was very up front with customers about possible substitution should allocations not be forthcoming. The available pre-orders disappeared very quickly.

Suffice it to say, that no dealer would have been able to offer a guarantee of supply, without such a clause. Anyone who guaranteed delivery, with no such clause, is misleading or fraudulent in my opinion.

In terms of supply, I am convinced that the Perth Mint will be able to keep up with demand, for at least 3 weeks after issue. Didn't think I'd fly all the way to Perth and not try and get some inside info did you? :)

*Note to Perth Mint : Kickback boxes of dragons are willingly accepted.

5. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

I note they still seem to be offering the coins for sale without the latest design.

I wonder if they lost their allocation for "breaking" the rules?

The local coin shop advised me that would be their punishment if they mucked up!?

6. noddy_coder

noddy_coder New Member

Did you see it on the Chards website www.chards.co.uk ?

On Monday I spotted a pic of the gold 2012 dragon on one of their web pages, by Wednesday it was gone. Wish I'd copied it :(

Looked nice, but not as in "Wow!" - just one dragon, I think the head was at the top of the coin.

7. noddy_coder

noddy_coder New Member

8. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

CK I hope you are correct about the silver dragon not being a sell out on issuance. I might end up with some dragons after all. If not, the Canadian wildlife coin is still my back up plan.

9. goldpelican

Did you miss the dozen posts about NOT posting the 2012 image on this forum while it's under embargo? If you do see it somewhere, don't post a link to it here.

10. Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey Active Member

A group order would be great, I would be in for sure!!!
    1oz silvers..

11. goldpelican

I have no doubts whatsoever that Gainesville will have both the gold and silver - my guess is that they're probably one of the mint's biggest distributors. There should be dragons stateside.

12. Matthew 26:14

Out of interest, do you think gainesville or apmex sell more of the perth mint products?

13. goldpelican

It would be pure conjecture - but I reckon APMEX.

14. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

The fascination with dragons is astounding.

Can I ask - a show of hands for those who want some of these 1oz silver bullion coins simply because it's the dragon, so therefore it's the "coolest" of all the lunars...

And a different show of hands (maybe a show of feet instead?) for those who are only interested in the coin, because they'll be able to flip it later for more money to someone who wasn't able to get one in the first week?

In other words - who's buying to keep, and who's buying to sell later, scalper-style?

15. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

to be honest, it was cool the first time not because it was just a dragon.

The first time was a Millenium Dragon. First lunar series ever produced by the mint.

This time ... I am not sure what fuels the magic.

But hey, there is enough for the first few week, so order away.

16. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

Ah, the fact that it was the year 2000. Hmmm, can sort of understand that. I wonder why it didn't sell out then? Not even close...

17. Teh silvers

Teh silvers Member

I want dragons because I can

18. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

All for keeping as many of these lunar dragons as possible in Australia.

I am not suggesting anyone goes overboard but a few of these might help out our children or grandchildren more than we can now imagine!

Im no expert but believe the 1oz coins will sell out very quickly.

19. Matthew 26:14

I would suggest the greed factor is strong with this young jedi. As the series 1 Lunar dragon has the highest fiat resale value, most expect therefore that the series 2 dragon will also have a commanding premium over the other coins in the series 2 set. As it were, if you could own just 1 series 2 coin in the 12 year cycle, this would be it ie such an opportunity would not represent itself for another 12 years, assuming there is a series 3 lunar series.

20. platiplaty

platiplaty New Member

How good would the premium have to be, to make you want to sell a dragon coin? It would be hard - selling something so coveted.

What's the highest price anyone has seen on a Year 2000 Dragon, say, on ebay or similar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.