$13 silver might be possible

Discussion in 'Silver' started by leon1998, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

or WAS it?

Say thank you to Dr Dennis Jennings.

2. New Member

It's hard to say for sure. This seems to credit United States, Great Britain, and France.

"The history of the Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s. Initial concepts of packet networking originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, Great Britain, and France. The US Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s for packet network systems, including the development of the ARPANET (which would become the first network to use the Internet Protocol.) The first message was sent over the ARPANET from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the second network node at Stanford Research Institute (SRI)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Internet

3. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

No not France. They were obsessed with minitel at the time - trust me on that.

4. New Member

I'll say thanks to Jennings, Lee, and the other 99% (mostly Americans) who did most of the work and invested most of the money.

5. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

If that makes you feel happy........however it is far from the truth in many ways. You'd clearly be shocked at who wrote the software and designed the hardware and the plethora of nationalities involved in telecommunications and software standards and implementation that made the internet happen. All standing on the shoulders of giants of many nationalities.

Next you will be telling me the mobile phone was invented by a single nationality.

People usually place their own boundaries and limits on their perceptions of reality.

6. New Member

No one clearly understands reality.

7. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

I take an empirical approach.

For example let's say an individual was to have spent the 90s developing data communications protocols and corresponding hardware and software implementations with very talented individuals, companies and institutions from all corners of the globe, advances that are still part of every single device that currently accesses the internet. Perhaps they had some wonderful American colleagues and friends but also Canadian, Australian, Dutch, British, German, Japanese, Irish, Romanian, Indian, Pakistani, Swedish, French, Finnish, Belgian, Bulgarian, Chinese and many others. Without this work the consumer internet would never have existed. That individual would not say that 99% of them were of any nationality or that Americans made any disproportionate contribution. Genius does not particularly favour any flag. Let's say Many core developments did not arise because of investment but rather because of individual determination on an obsessive level leading to new advances and insights. That individual might recollect no issues of patriotic competitiveness contributing or featuring at all. Perhaps it's something that the kind of person who could contribute was too intelligent to indulge in. That individual might not recognise your perception of reality in this instance as anything other than the power of jingoism to falsify history, something by no means unique to American popular culture. It is of course a grave disservice to those people and their contribution but by the same measure it is also faintly ludicrous. A bit crazy-daft like making thinly supported yet exact spot price predictions on volatile commodity markers with no target dates. Just silly.

8. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

If you're using wifi, you can thank the Aussie tax dollars allocated to the CSIRO (which returned over $420 million in royalties and settlements before the patent expired). http://www.google.com.au/patents/US5487069

Anything "discovered in the US" post WWII and Roswell is probably Nazi or alien tech anyway ;)

9. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The fact that some U.S. citizens played important roles in creating technological tools that can be used for great good doesn't in any way wash away the great amounts of innocent blood that has been spilled on orders of men and women working for the U.S. gov't.

We make ourselves complicit in crimes against innocent individuals when we do not acknowledged and attached fault and blame to the one's responsible.

Accountability (holding the guilty accountable)....there's nothing more important than it when it comes to matters of state sponsored violence and terrorism.

10. New Member

Let's get something straight right now. Apparently people don't get the intent of my statement. It was poking fun at how Al Gore said he discovered the Internet. If it went over everyone's head I'll try to make it simpler for people next time. I'm in IT but I really don't care to debate the origins of the Internet. It's boring. Also, I have not said anything against any country on here...just heard other people rudely slam other people and /or their country.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnFJ8cHAlco[/youtube]

Also, I heard it said in this thread that The United States is a democracy. Well news flash to all people, including Americans (probably even Obama), that think the United States is a democracy...it is indeed, a republic, not a democracy.

11. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Every silver, whatever shape / weight it has, trade, influences the price.
    If Joe wants to buy an ASE, and he does so at a dealer, then the dealer has to order an ASE at a Mint, and the Mint has to order industrial or monetary bars to melt them and produce blancs, and this will influence the price.
    If Joe wants to sell an ASE, and he does so to a dealer, then the dealer has to order an ASE less from the Mint, and the Mint does not have to order industrial or monetary bars, and this will influence the price.
    If Joe buys from or sells to Fred, then the price won't be influenced, and is not needed to, since the net effect of such "over the counter" trade on global supply/demand, is zero. All it is, is a shift from one saver to another.
    The price isn't driven by these or those people, and isn't driven by these or those kinds of silver demand, but by the net remainder of ALL demand.
    That, and its relevance, should be clear, no?

12. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

On paper... though nationalist dick measuring is really ignorant. Oz has it's fair share of problems, historically and at present, regardless of democracy or constitutional monarchism.
    I don't blindly follow any individual tome, but in the book that seems to widely represent both our cultures, Johnno 8:7 and Matty 7:1 holds some relevant info. To paraphrase -

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Republic, Constitutional Monarchy, Dictatorship.
    So what?

Eastern Germany (The Deutsche Demokratische Republik) The German Democratic Republic was a Communist state.
    Then there's the Peoples Republic of China and the Peoples Republic of North Korea.

The United States is well known to be a Democratic Republic.
    I don't make these definitions, I just say it as it is and call it as I see it.

If you want to excuse yourself from the actions of your Government and avoid criticism perhaps you could say,
    'I was only following orders.'

14. Oldsoul

Oldsoul New Member

I can see the relevance, I'm not sure it is particularly important compared to something like larger phone screens, a drop or raise in solar due to energy costs or a brand like Pandora taking off. I respect your opinion but my instincts tell me that industrial and in particular electronics can quickly respond to price increases and switch to cheaper but less efficient alternatives. Of all the reasons for a slowing curve in any hypothetical silver price rise I would place industrial first and private individually owned silver bar and coin collections last. Compared to ETFs, industrial, electrical, recycling uptick etc. these collections surely have an almost negligible effect wholly offset by and increase in ETF activity during a price rise?

I'm not convinced that silver stack liquidation by individuals can either drive or cap a change in silver prices. I suppose it is a relatively small capital market for a commodity but I always though the max keiser thing was dumb and designed in conjunction with other promoters to help some national economies benefit from the by products of nickel mining following the collapse in photography.

Do you have the 2014 figures to hand....there was obviously a skew in bar and coin demand in 2009-13 that was not historically representative. What is the current %s or 2014 for demand side consumption that lets us know private Vs ETF coin and bar holdings?

15. New Member

I don't need to excuse myself from anyone or anything that is out of my control. BUT...please excuse me from saying this (since it's IN my control)...If you added "SH" to a certain part of your name, it would be fitting!! :D

16. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

17. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

18. Aww, now that's just nasty and not very original. I often use that one myself.
    Don't get yer panties in a wad now, I was just kidding ya. Must have gone right over your head.
    I know, I'll blame it all on Al Gore, how's that for a lame excuse? :lol:

19. New Member

I'm glad you did not quit the forum last year Paul because you have entertainment value!! ;) ----> http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-50202-swan-song.html

20. Meh, I changed my mind.
    I thought, why should I stay away because of the actions of rude, arrogant, cowardly and dishonest people.
    Perhaps I came back just because of you. After all, It's all about you. right? :lol:
    Honestly pal, I'm really not interested in locking antlers with another one of your type.
    You know, the type of American no one likes.
    Thank goodness not all Americans are like this but the small amount that are sure punch above their weight when it comes to making Americans unpopular.
    I picked you as one instantly.