YouTube blogger arrested for 2 months for playing Pokemon Go in Russia

Discussion in 'YouTube Digest' started by kutylin, Sep 5, 2016.

1. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

Yesterday (3rd of September 2016) one of Russian YouTube bloggers with 300K+ subscribers Sokolovskiy was arrested for 2 months just because he made a video how he caught Pokemon in the Russian orthodox church. And it is just the beginning as he was jailed pending trial only. But if he would be found guilty Sokolovskiy would be imprisoned for 3 years.
    So what did happen?
    That young blogger watched TV news where it was told that it is not good to catch Pokemon in the church as you can be severely punished for doing this.
    He didn't listen and look what happened to him ))
    Now he is accused for 2 crimes:
    1. Insult the feelings of believers in God;
    2. Incitement of national hatred and enmity.
    Of course maybe Russian court is right and such people need to be imprisoned to prevent others of doing such things?
    Or is it a glimpse of tyranny in Russia?
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffa9B2i7YRc[/youtube]

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Extreme, but on the other hand if some you tuber was playing in Australian war memorial or a grave yard I'm not sure how lenient I'd feel.

3months is excessive enough 2 years is ridiculous but a week or two could deter other idiots, if the law was there first, especially if his excuse is I watched a legitimate tv news program that said don't do it.

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

in some places can be beheaded for not being alert of killers lurking at players.

being sent into jail can be considered normal, for going against the religious believe and worshiping pocket monsters

4. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

There is a storm in Russian blogosphere because of that arrest. Some say that he just used a phone in church and and made no harm to others. Others say that it is anyway bad and approve what authorities did.
    Thank you for your opinion!

5. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

Great opinion. I'm a big democrat in my soul. But even I think that there is something wrong in playing Pokemon in the church. And what is even much worse - to show it to all your Youtube viewers (he has around 300K of them) among which there are many young ones!

6. Ipv6Ready

I have not bothered looking for the original clip of the blogger, from your clip it looked like he wasn't being to bad, but 50/50 he could have been a total idiot.

But whatever the case why do it, it's a place of worship, he might not have been Christian for all know, but in reverse if it said don't go into a xyz temple why tempt faith.

7. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

He could be worse I agree lol But maybe that Sokolovskiy blogger just tried to gain popularity to his YouTube channel? More subscribers and so on ))

8. ego2spare

ego2spare Well-Known Member

In soviet Russia, Pokmon catches you....

9. ego2spare

If you want your country to not look like a di*k. You wouldnt put a kid in jail for 3 years for using a phone in a church.
    There is nothing actually wrong with playing in the church. Somone should yell. "Hay kid, cmon, get outa here with that!" (But in Russian)
    And thats the punishment (slight embarrassment) and thats the end of the story. it dosent matter about the amount of viewers he has or his popularity. Hes just showing what he did. Not telling them to go there. Should he get punished more because he has 300k viewers, over somone who does the exact same thing with 100k viewers, 20k viewers, 3 viewers?

10. Ipv6Ready

From what I saw in the video, it was reporting what occurred, until see what the video the blogger actually made and uploaded, it could be much worse.

running up the alter and jumping and crowing like around like chicken and barking like dog during a holy service while playing Pokemon might be a different story lol

11. Ipv6Ready

Did you find what he did? I haven't seen it yet. Maybe he ran and jumped in the holy water lol.

You might also say this was harsh, but not a single other Aussie streaked in remainder of the matches.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...h/news-story/24c9dc1bed06347f32bb8d35f2b430bf

12. ego2spare

Ow no, I just read kutylin original post and thats it lol. how much holy water did this church have?! I guess what i said would still kinda stand... but if we find out he was rubbing his d*ck on statues and stuff, i dono lol. U gota do what it takes to catch em all. This could get interesting.

13. Ipv6Ready

I haven't tried hard looking for it but I'm thinking even for Russia, it will be more than the very minimal benign video like in the original video.

I only have few Russian friends, but they certainly know push the boundary, well at least my friends do, many times to their detriment.

14. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

In reality my opinion is that it is too much punishment for that boy.
    But hey. I looked at his video. It is still there! I can not provide a link as it may be a crime in Russia! Some people were jailed for retweets!!!
    But to that video.
    Bad is not that Sokolovskiy played Pokemon Go at the church. Bad were his comments. And music. He used a music from Pokemon as a sountrack to his video (sounds silly as his video is about Pokemon but it feels so out of place lol). And he told several times that he will not be punished for doing all of this (in reality if he just used his phone in the church it will be nothing wrong). But his bravery on camera - that was the main reason for authorities as they insisted not to do it in churches! Plus he caught Pokemon in the territory of altar when a priest did his ritual. And at the end he said that he didn't caught the main Pokemon - Jesus Christ.

15. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

Just posted a comment where I explain what was on the video of Sokolovskiy ))

16. Ipv6Ready

Thank you....

Like I said I am in two minds, if all he did was what was shown, it is very big over reaction by the authorities.

But I also understand it is a place of worship, and I presume, there is more to it than this one kid. Since I would find it very weird for a TV news channe to have a segment telling the viewers to not play Pokemon at church, unless it was already happening too many times

Don't get me wrong if he was jailed for making fun of Putin or other social injustice I would defend the kid.

No Liberty was at stake with this law. I bet even the government if they wrote the law if recently, they didnt think it would cause any controversy. Or maybe it is very old law, that they never thought they would use.

I think some bloggers go too far and the government equally goes to far. But I'll reserve judgement until I see it and know more of the background.

17. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

Nothing to worry. We like here to criticize Putin and government here. As you do I think. It is totally normal ))

18. kutylin

kutylin Active Member

That law was written several years ago when PussyRiot sang an anti-Putin song the church. It was much much much more worse than what this boy did.

19. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

20. kutylin

kutylin Active Member