Youth Unemployment perspectives.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by JulieW, Aug 26, 2014.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Interesting reads in the comments section as well:

Interesting comparing the article with this comment:
    This circumstance won't be helped with the current government policy pushes on Unemployment Benefits.

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

You have it arse-end around as do most politicians and economists.

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The national youth unemployment rate for 15 to 24 year olds looking for work has risen to a 12 year high of 13.1 per cent, more than double the general unemployment rate of 5.8 per cent.

As many school leavers are at TAFE or University, the 13.1 percentage is taken from a smaller collective. Those capable of holding down jobs have had the initiative to get an education, so the percentile is taken from a lower subset of 15 to 24 year olds. If you included the group in education it will bring the average back to the normal.

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Got it one Jules.
    And there is heaps of support out there to encourage it. ;)

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What's the difference between a 40 year old with no tertiary qualifications and a 20 year old with no tertiary qualifications?

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

20 years experience ?

7. sammysilver

Had you gone to university you would know that it is twenty years!

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Many people unable to find jobs feel that by going back to school and improving their skills might help them find a job. So it isn't just the ones who are capable of holding down jobs who head to higher education.

You also have the Government sending people back into education so they can get the unemployment figures down, even if the course is not likely to lead to a job at the end.

Then they can be unemployed with a large debt to go with it.

Education will be the next big bubble.

9. renovator

bad day sammy ? lose at the races ? your local hooker give you a knockback ? or (insert .....) here :p:

10. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You guys are harsh! So I'm going to defend the young people....

It's a bit more complex than "kids these days are lazy". While this may be true to some extent, and the growing entitlement mentality and serious lack of discipline is a concerning factor (and whose fault is it that...?), there are also additional challenges introduced because the employment landscape itself is changing.

Have you considered that many entry level jobs that used to exist now get offshored? I got my start in IT a few decades ago in an entry level position that would now invariably be sent offshore. (Of course, entry level salaries were really low back then along with the cost of living, but that's not the fault of young job seekers.)

And as noted in other threads:

11. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Labour is a commodity. How do you make labour in demand? Reduce it's cost.

Unemployment benefits do nothing to improve labour hire, all they do is ensure those that are unemployed spend. TAFE, government training programmes or employer incentives and Uni degrees are a waste of time if there is no real demand.

Workers should be fully entitled to negotiate their own pay rates regardless of established minimum pay rates or accords. Remove the minimum wage and unemployment would plummet.

12. renovator

I think they need to slow down immigration a little until there is more jobs .

Whats the point of bringing in more people when its obvious we dont have enough jobs for the existing population.They will only suck of the teat & not have any input into the economy.

Not sure removing the minimum wage will have too much affect on things. I believe a lot of people just wouldnt work for lower wages so it will stay about the same some will leave their jobs & the slack will be taken up by the unemployed so nil effect .

I really dont think bosses will be rushing to employ more people because wages are lower unless wages drop by half & they can employ another person for the same money they pay now ...i know i wouldnt .. People are bleating that wages & entitlements per employee are too high . Do you really think a small drop in wages would encourage bosses to employ another person ...especially now they have proven they can run the company with existing amount of employees.

13. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Where I currently live cost of living is similar to Melbourne and yet many people I know are on $8-$12 an hour. These aren't kids, I'm talking 25-35 year olds. I'm not saying it's easy, but small business is thriving, in fact there are more jobs than workers!

14. sammysilver

I didn't think it showed. I normally have a happy disposition. However if I ever got a knockback from my hooker, I'd neck myself. Auto-erotica of course!

15. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

It seems to me that in this country, too often people don't even ask the question about how jobs actually get created.

There's all this vague nonsensical bullshit from whatever the crime racket of the day (govt) is about how they will "create jobs", as if it is this magical thing that they are somehow able to conjure up. "If we press this button, and pull this lever, and then wave our magic wand, hey presto, 10,000 jobs created".

Here's how jobs are actually created (basically)
    Entrepreneurs try to figure out what people want and what price they are willing to pay. Maybe it's an existing product or service, maybe it's something new they have thought up. They then pay people to produce such products or services that cab be sold. This is how jobs are created and how goods and services appear on the market that we can consume. Government is not involved.

Government pays people for the most part to do not much. It throws good money after bad. In other instances it takes control of and monopolises or cartelises an industry (health, banking, law, etc) and creates high prices through curbing competition. Also, by banning various things or putting restrictions on how goods and services can be delivered it basically PREVENTS many jobs that would be created from actually being created. And by heavy taxing, it makes many services unaffordable and so people don't end up starting many businesses because they do the sums and tax pushes it over the edge from being affordable into being unaffordable. They won't be able to make money so they don't invest in the business.

Virtually everything government does is anti-jobs. It should be no surprise, with a government larger and more intrusive than ever that the job situation is becoming more and more difficult for the marginal workers (ie, the young and the old).

It's honestly not rocket science when you actually examine it.

16. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes. At least three in the last 12 months. All started on short contracts. The first is now permanent, the second buggered off to China (but admittedly they said this before we hired them), the third only just started about 2-3 weeks ago.

I don't know about the youngsters, but some of the ex-Commonwealth public servants in Canberra definitely have their sights set too high. As their jobs are being axed or promotions getting thin we've had a bunch come looking for a job, but most of these people have been on a fat gravy train being paid far beyond their capabilities or worth. Expecting 6 figure salaries with sweet FA real experience. If the cuts get real then some of these people are in for a wake-up call.

17. bordsilver

Just for interest, below is the historical unemployment rate by age group. Youth unemployment being 2-3 times average is nothing abnormal. The same pattern holds if you go back pre-dole years but the average was something like 1-3 per cent with youth unemployment around 4-8 per cent.

[​IMG]
    Source: ABS cat. no. 6291.0.55.001.

18. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If any of you have employed someone in their early 20's lately or been surrounded by other businesses that do so you will know exactly why no-one wants to hire most of them.

And I noticed Julie that you just had to put in a dig at the current government. I might suggest to you that the answer to getting people with no work ethic into jobs is not more welfare.

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

That reminds me of a line from Yes Minister:

"But Minister, you said you wanted the figures reduced".

"Yes".

"So we reduced the figures".

What good is a low unemployment figure if the reality is a load of "employed" people living below the poverty line?

All you end up getting by dropping standards is lower quality.

20. bordsilver

Same old nonsense :sigh: