Your favorite gold coins, what you stack and wish you stacked

Discussion in 'Gold' started by phrenzy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

How standard are some of these? I keep reading about how universal the sovereign is but given that it isn't any more easily fractional (1320/5607ths of an ounce? WHY!?) and although I can see the advantage 50 years ago am I really going to have any less recognition/more trouble trading or selling my 4 ducats than the sovereign? Or say Swiss francs or any of the non Australian decimal currency (RAM/PM) coins?

I know it's amazingly childish but I feel like I would feel like I had more gold having a 2 x 4 ducats instead of 4 sovereigns and ultimately isn't that half of why you stack? to feel like you have a great pile of gold?

I've only had gold a few days but I feel like in going to end up like this all too quickly (skip to around 1:50 if you don't want a wander down memory lane with the theme song):
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAz9e0YYLak[/youtube]

2. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I like the French 20 Francs, esp Napoleon Bonaparte and the Angel. Napoleon is in good nick and is old (ish) and the Angel for good luck.
    I also like sovs/half sovs esp Queens and and I would love the massive one, quintuple or something or rather.

I want to get the danish mermaid and some of the other coins listed in the pre-1933 booklet.
    I'm also not selling the russian ballet dancer for the only reason because i don't see many in my travels.

Gold is much more fun to look at than silver imo.

3. CFP

CFP New Member

French francs and sovs are my favorite and what I have the most of, I have some American gold coins and a few other countrys, koronas etc.

4. CFP

CFP New Member

[​IMG]

First 20 franc rooster I ever purchased, usually keep it round locally for sentimental reasons.