Your favorite gold coins, what you stack and wish you stacked

Discussion in 'Gold' started by phrenzy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I just made my first little gold buy. After looking at some of the popular low premium coins I've decided I really like the Austrian 4 ducat. It's big, has a great looking classical European design and nice good colour (I don't go in for the pale yellow coins). Plus, who doesn't love having a pile of big gold coins, makes you feel like a renaissance Medici banker or French marquis, you get 23 4ducats for the same AGW of 10 krugerrands. The only issue I have really is that the AGW isn't a straightforward fraction.

I looked into bars but a half or full ounce bar of gold is so small they just don't have the same attraction for me as a silver bar that is likely bigger. Also, the premiums per coin/round as a percentage of cost for gold is much smaller than silver so why not?

So I'd like to hear about what your favorite gold coins are and why. Also what coins you don't like and why. Which coins you like the look of but wouldn't buy for some reason and which coins don't like the design of and think are a particularly good buy for some reason would be good to explore.

Lastly, does anyone have any interesting historical coins that retain a fairly low premium over their gold value? I've been a little surprised how cheap the premiums on some fairly old coins can be, not just old sovereigns, but even some of the less numismatically collectable old Byzantine and medieval coins that although definitely are more expensive than buying PM nuggets gram for gram but are surprisingly affordable. If you know of any old or interesting coins that cost less than you might think over spot I'd be interested to hear about it.

*edit* I deliberately put this in the gold section just because it's really about the cheapest way to invest in gold using attractive / interesting coins rather than about the numismatic value or collectability of the coins but if the mods think it should be moved it might be a better fit in gold coins.

2. silverprepper999

silverprepper999 New Member

I like 1/4 oz Kangaroos the most. And there is a capsule too. :D Lunars are OK because of numismatic value, but Kangaros are what I like the most.

3. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The kangaroo is especially good when you consider that the 2015 gold Lunar Goat is the biggest disappointment of the entire series with those McDonalds arches in the background.

4. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the french rooster, then the young head.

5. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

As crazy as it is, I love the Canadian gold maples from 2014 just cos they have a laser etching on it.

6. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

French Angels for the and design.

Also really like the Ducats, Swiss Francs and Kurush coins.

7. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I'm a big fan of Mexican gold pesos (2, 2.5, 5). With a little work I've found them at or below spot. I also like the French francs and the Austrian ducats. For me older coins at or around 1/10 an oz is just the right size and I tend to find them with little or no premium and sometimes below spot.

8. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

I like krugerrands.

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I like the sounds when they hit the ground.

10. trozau

trozau Member

The China gold Panda (1 troz) got me started and has been good to me. :cool:

11. trader10

trader10 Member

I like at the moment - PERTH MINT 1oz AUSTRALIAN LUNAR SERIES II 2015 YEAR OF THE GOAT GOLD Limited Mintage to 30,000

12. excalibur

excalibur Member Silver Stacker

I love the $200 Koalas. Built in stop loss and can easily be secured at spot.

13. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is this usually at your LCS?

14. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

I too am curious, I was pretty happy when my LCS had the 4 ducat just barely over spot but if I could get it cheaper maybe I could get into Mexican coins.

15. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Bold choice.

16. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hey guys.

I've found mine on ebay with some luck and local antique stores that don't specialize in coins but might have a tray with old coins in a case somewhere. 2.5 pesos seem to be very good to me. Not sure if it is because people don't realize they are 2.5 and not 2 or what. 5 pesos tend to be good to me too though. I've seen some 50 peso coins sell with some of the lowest premiums (only a few % over spot) I've seen in my short time stacking. Even with the low premium they don't fit in with my goals and budgeted PM cash. Too bad really they are nice coins. You guys might have a harder time finding them though since you are a bit further away from Mexico than I am lol.

17. neonuke

neonuke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

therein lies the problem. I love these Mex gold coins too, but never have i seen them close to spot in my area. makes it even harder to bear when you guys in North America can get them so cheap :/

Apart from them I really like the Swiss 20 Franc with that lovely Swiss miss on the front. Also like Sovereigns, they're a staple in my fractional gold stack.

18. cashgoldsilver

cashgoldsilver New Member

I Like the fractional 1/10oz Gold Panda's because they are very affordable,plus the great designs changes every year.

My only regret is that I did not buy the 2014 1/10oz from goldstackers before they sold out recently :(

I have a 2010 - 2011 both bought here,and I am always dreaming about buying pre 2010 plus 2012 - 2013 - 2014 to add to my little shiny yellow collection.

So if anyone has any,and might consider selling or swap for other fraction gold e.g. koala proof you know what to do :)

Thx

19. Taz03

Taz03 Member

PB still has some 2013 and 2014 Pandas available for purchase.

http://www.perthbullion.com/shop/listings/1-10-oz-gold-coins/

20. Taz03

Taz03 Member

I don't really mind with the 2015 year of the goat gold design. People seem to have not warm up to these coins, and if this continues, I would be inclined to think that the 1 oz goat gold coin could potentially become one of those sleeper coins with low mintages. Here's hoping for that to happen :D.