You walk in 5 min before closing time

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, May 7, 2016.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Remember, economic transactions are value exchanges, orders placed at 4:45pm may still be less valued by the shopkeeper compared to orders placed at 4:15pm, hence why you may get "the look."

2. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually.... now I'm wondering why the idea of a "closing time" is a thing at all for small businesses. Is this a government-mandated thing? Surely there was an era previously when shopkeepers didn't adhere to a legislated time of closing for business?

3. mmm....shiney!

Good point.

You could view a specific closing time as that point in the day when the shopkeeper makes a conscious to decision to forgo the gratification of one desire (financial gain) for the gratification of another (leisure).

It's why closing earlier or later only brings forward or delays the conflicting choices .

4. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Ha Ha "all hours" you must be good at what you do, so what is your craft.

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's very niche, technical/electronics I turn away as much work as I accept, I can only do so much.

6. clear

clear Well-Known Member

Your in a very privileged position, seriously - mobile phones can be turned-off, also have a look at how your pricing your service (if your turning away that much business your too cheap), mentor someone, give someone a job, young and older people are looking for an opportunity.

7. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Likewise, there's a virtue in being a good customer too.

I'm sometimes "that guy" who turns up just as everything is being packed away, but I generally find if I ask nicely and don't act all crushed if they say they can't help me, most people will do that little bit extra. And I say thank you, because I know what it's like being on the other side in that situation.

I had to ask a customer to leave the other day after they started verbally insulting one of my staff. Oh, you've got money? Congratulations, I'm really happy for you, but there's two hundred other people in here who also have money and none of them are being a total arsehole.

Some business just isn't worth having.

8. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

I normally ask the shop keeper, if it is alright to order.
    If I show up close to closing time... Never have any problems... I get my meals.
    Don't need to insult anyone here. I was with service line for many years, I know how it works.
    Was a PR manager for some years.

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, sometimes you actually have to fire a customer.

10. FullMetalFever

FullMetalFever New Member

I agree with your concept of the value proposition and also the Edit re what a good shopkeeper would do.

My argument however, is that if you want your leisure time to begin at 5:00pm or any other arbitrary moment, then change your hours of operation to suit (say 30mins earlier or however long you need for the cleanup routine), such that you don't have to be disgruntled when a customer walks in 5 minutes before closing time, but rather embrace it.

My wife once ran a hospitality business which I was sometimes present at (not working). When a customer walked in 5 minutes before closing, I as a business owner was very happy for that customer to be spending their money at our business and increasing our takings for that day. Not sure how the wife or staff felt about it, but it certainly didn't impact the customer service.

How would you feel as a customer, if you went to do your banking 5 minutes before close (which is the only time you could get there due to running your own business) only to be told that your patronage is not as valued at that time and if you want to be served you need to come back another day 15 minutes or more before close when we will value you more?

11. mmm....shiney!

I'm not saying it's justifiable to be disgruntled, I'm offering a theoretical basis for why the service attendant may be disgruntled based upon economics - which is a behavioural science. As such, psychological fulfilment must be considered when analysing any market transaction. As you point out there is a routine, as a business ticks over to closing time the staff move into their "closing routine" frame of mind, any interruptions to the preparations of their closing routine (last minute customers, machinery breakdown, broken nails etc) is viewed as unwelcome as it detracts from the value they are gaining in return for their efforts.

As I said before: a specific closing time is that point in the day when the shopkeeper makes a conscious to decision to forgo the gratification of one desire (financial gain) for the gratification of another (leisure).

Closing earlier or later may only bring forward or delay this conflict of choice, and because the actors in this economic play are individuals, may or may not avoid that conflict.

Pissed off.

If I was the opposition bank owner, ecstatic, as it would provide an opportunity for me to poach customers. Which is exactly the way I look at it in our business. ;)

12. malachii

malachii Well-Known Member

It's very simple really. As an employee I expect to be paid in full right up to the time I clock out therefore I expect to provide incredible customer service right up to the point where I don't want to be paid in full anymore. I used to tell our flight attendants - if you are only providing 50% customer service then only ask for 50% of your wage and stop bitching! You made a deal with your employer that you would provide your best for X number of hours for X $$$. You would complain if your boss said "really sorry but I really can't be bothered paying you for the last 5 minutes of the day because I'd already shutdown the computer and I moved away from where I could see the clock because I was getting my cloak so it's ok if I don't pay for that right?"

You expect to be paid in full - so bloody well work for it!

Having said that I also think that if bosses expect their employees to work hard - they need to appreciate them and look after them and stop putting them down and bitching about them.

malachii

PS - Just so no one accuses me of not declaring my interests - I have worked as an employee for many years and also owned businesses and been the boss for many years. I've had incredibly good bosses and some real bastards. I guess there are times when I've been an incredibly good boss but there are probably times I've been a bastard too.

13. precious roar

precious roar Active Member

Why can't the prospective customer accept that it's late, the clean up process has started and therefore it would be a real pain-in-the-arse to serve them. Age of entitlement, I guess.

14. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the doors open you walk in. If the coffee machine has not been cleaned and is fully operational, you can expect a coffee. If it has been cleaned,say so, most people accept that. No fuss.

15. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Entitled north shore soccer mums aint got time for excuses, they want their coffee!