You walk in 5 min before closing time

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by mmm....shiney!, May 7, 2016.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/753_55203417.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Memes like this have been doing the rounds of facebook lately, accompanied by the usual comments from customer service workers who feel exactly the same way when someone walks in at closing time as well as the usual comments from those who don't work in the service industry who think that the magic world of economics means that just because they have a fistful of $$ and a burning desire to part with that fistful of $$, that they should be welcomed lovingly.

This is my Austrian take on the meme and why customers should not expect to receive the same quality of service at closing time as they would expect at other times.

Economic activity is that activity whereby individuals apply means to their ends, and in this case as either shopkeepers or customers.

In applying means to their ends individuals make subjective judgments ie value based decisions. These judgments are based upon many criteria, some implicit and others explicit, some that are given no conscious thought but are arrived at through experience, some that are impulsive or have no basis for justification and some that involve hours, days, weeks etc of research or procrastination. There are as many variables involved in transactions as there are individuals. But the basis is a value judgment.

The customer buying a cappuccino for $4.50 at 1:30pm values the cappuccino more than he values his $4.50 and the time it takes to wait for it to be made etc. Likewise the shopkeeper values the $4.50 more than his coffee beans, expenses to run his equipment and the time taken to make the coffee etc.

Moving forward to closing time at 5pm, whilst the customer's subjective judgment may not have changed in regards to his $4.50 and available time, the shopkeeper, who has spent the last x amount of hours at work, is giving thought to having some time to himself and possibly his family or friends. His subjective judgment of the value of the $4.50 at 4:55pm is markedly different to the way he would have viewed it earlier in the day, in his mind he would much rather be cleaning up than making a coffee. Even though he is getting paid he doesn't think it is worth it. Despite his resentment though, he grants the customer's wish - as a favour to the customer or with an eye to future business.

So next time you venture in to a shop at closing time and get "that look", don't despair, you're actually getting better value for money than if you'd been there 30 min earlier, you just shouldn't expect the red carpet treatment.

2. scrooged

scrooged New Member

Thanks for the heads up, will do this more often.

3. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd want a grilled cheese to go with my coffee if I saw a freshly cleaned grill 5 minutes before closing

4. raven

raven Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

well, then advertise the closing time at 4.30 then !
    :)

5. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1ggvcWyTg[/youtube]

6. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Once, Grill are cleaned , no cooking!
    Which part you don't understand?

Chef on strike :p

7. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

We used to live in a world of small businesses where employers directly complemented and acknowledged the efforts of employees for staying back or going that extra mile or giving that little bit extra where is counts.

Now we live in world where we are all in the same boat, we all work for large companies that are so far removed that we just run autonomously throughout the day, if it's extra work we don't do it, if it's more effort we don't bother and if the customer walks out and threatens not to come back that just means an easier day tomorrow.

To get better service today we need to connect to the employee as they don't care and why would they if they have no incentive to care.

8. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

In some cases I have been grateful for shitty service from a place I used to go to regularly.

It made me look for other sources and ended up finding better and cheaper options.
    In 2 cases I tracked down the manufacturer of items I used to buy at retail shops and got them at one third the retail price.
    win/win - cash in hand for manufacturer, cheaper product for me - and nothing for the retailer with the shitty service

9. mmm....shiney!

That's a government bureaucrat's solution. ;)

10. Killface

Killface Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

AKA the "alienation of labour"

11. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just got a phone call at 8:45PM on Saturday night from a guy who found me via Google and wants me to complete something for him by Wednesday. What kind of thoughtless graceless people is the Me generation producing?

I get business calls from customers at all hours. If they call at night I refuse the job and refer them elsewhere and I won't take them on as clients.

12. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think that you will find that small-medium business dwarfs large companies as employers in Australia in terms of number of people employed. SME's employ 70% of the Australian workforce. The public service employs a large part of the other 30 percent. So big business is not the dominant employer in Australia, it's a fraction of small to medium businesses.

13. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Were talking retail

14. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

so many crap jobs in hospitality/retail - close at 5pm & paid until 5:30pm to clean/count till etc but some customer decides to arrive at 4:55pm then piss around.
    No respect for the worker who has to stay back that extra 10mins for free!
    Obviously Staff will look at you as an asshat - so many ppl are still nice & say "that's ok" but these ppl suffer for you poor time management & bad manners - people are so selfish & so disrespectful yet so sensitive that some 15yo has resting bitch face cause they have to wait until you decide which chocolate you want to buy..

15. col0016

col0016 Active Member

If only the government was half as accommodating for these businesses as the are for large/multinational ones.

16. atlas

atlas Member

I worked in the hospitality industry in Oz for a number of years. I have also lived overseas for a number of years in S Korea and the middle east. When I come back I notice how terrible the service can be in Oz. I recall getting plainly ignored by staff regularly. There was no obvious reason other than they couldn't be fucked to serve me.

South Korea: Service level generally excellent

- high competition
    - cheap alcohol licensing and less red tape for restaurants
    - low minimum wages and no tipping
    - hierarchical culture

Australia: Service level often shite

- lower competition
    - high cost of licensing, more red tape, planning regulations and tax
    - high minimum wage and no tipping
    - egalitarian (and who the fuck are you?) culture

17. FullMetalFever

FullMetalFever New Member

If you want to close at 4:55 then do so and make that your working hours. Don't advertise a 5:00 closing time if you're gonna be pissed about getting extra business 5 minutes before close. You chose your hours of operation, not the customer.

I'm in Japan on holidays at the moment and just experienced a similar thing. Not only did that business not get my patronage then, it will never get it again AND I'll be sure to comment on TripAdvisor to let other prospective customers know not to bother with that particular establishment for whom its just too hard to serve a customer during their supposed "working hours".

18. mmm....shiney!

We seek value when we conduct economic exchanges. In the meme posted, the shopkeeper reacts that way because he considers that walking into his shop 5 min before closing and conducting a business transaction has less value than if the customer were to walk in 15 min before closing time. Closing the doors at 4:55pm does nothing to avoid the same subjective judgments being made.

It's the same as the notion that the customer is always right. Just because a customer has a fistful of $$ to spend, they are not always right and it gives them no excuse for being rude nor for demanding anything more than the shopkeeper is offering. Economic transactions are not one way streets where the customer is showering the merchant with their generosity - it is about an exchange of value. The customer makes a decision to exchange what he has (the effort that has gone into producing $$ and his time spent shopping) for what the merchant has (his goods). The merchant when pricing his goods also considers the same things (the effort that he has gone into producing the goods and his time spent trading) for what the customer has (his $$). Time (whether that is the amount of labour or the hour in the day etc) is a critical part of the whole transaction process, it is not constant and because it is not constant, the shopkeeper values the customer's presence differently according to what time of day it is and how much reward he is receiving. At closing time his need to be financially gratified is less compelling than his need for leisure.

Edit: A good shopkeeper (or smart one) will hide his displeasure at the customer walking in minutes before closing time, particularly if the customer is a knob and demanding. He'll smile through gritted teeth and accommodate the customer's wishes and the customer will be none the wiser and not even realise that the shopkeeper considers him a total tosser.
    :lol:

19. mmm....shiney!

That's great. :lol:

20. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why not just advertise last orders at 4:45pm?