You guessed it, kooks galore

Discussion in 'Silver' started by hiho, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Suggest not to worry about a few bucks overall here or there between dealers- grab what you can - these wont last long - you'll tell and recall the days when you could buy early Kooks at BU prices to future stakers like some old stacker f@rt!

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

When this forum started, Kooks for $10 over spot were considered crazy cheap. I think my first Kookaburras were $30 when spot was $17, and that was from a discount dealer of the day.

Try working those premiums out as a percentage :/ I got some $25 Kooks and was stoked that the premium was "only" 50%.

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yeh Kooks used to be high premium stuff; which is why there are quite a few angry collectors out there :lol:

Buy while you can imo; at these prices they're bargains.

4. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

True, but nothing stopping them from releasing S1 lunars with a privy mark, not as if they haven't done it before :lol:

5. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would be pissed if I was sitting on rolls of 1992 kooks that I paid a premium to buy over the last few years, then find them for sale now $5 over spot. I mean the lost appreciation for the cost of storage alone would be a real kick in the face. Imagine how much the mint could make if they could say whooooooo hang on a sec, we didn't quite mint the whole quota of Series 1 Luna's so lets start it up again.

6. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Are You sure about that? I know they never reached the mintage limit on quite a few of them so why wouldnt they be able to mint more? Thanks

7. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

Most likely because the series has been closed with all the years having been minted.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am sure the mint can work out a way to release a boxed set of the Series 1 Lunars. that's what lawyers are for.

9. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thought they just add a privy and presto 50K extension - maybe just for S2,Kooks,ect and not S1 lunars?

Anyone have a privy on a S1 lunar? do they exist? any other privy lunars beyond the latest lunar Dragons?

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

The series is closed - no Series I coins can be reminted. I'm sure that's not the last time I will have to reiterate that on the forum. Going to make a sticky post on it with the supporting information.

If they did (heaven forbid) put out Series I coins with a privy, well they would be a different coin. The privy is an integral part of the design - a Kookaburra collector that collects bullion Kooks wouldn't accept a Kookaburra with Dragon privy in their Kookaburra set in lieu of a non-privy Kookaburra - from a numismatic perspective, they are two totally different coins. They would either collect the "pure" Kookaburra, or both.

11. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

simple way to stop them don't buy the re minted coins i didn't and i wont . more out of respect for those people who brought them in 92 than anything but also to send a message to the PM that this is unacceptable.

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2012 Special End of the World Calendar Date "3oz HRKOOKABURRA", ---> we want to buy and start a NEW Beginning Series of Kook :p

13. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

When Ford Australia was preparing the way to release it's new model AU Falcon in 1999, it started a heavy discounting of existing EL Falcon model floor stock to make room.

The lower new car prices cascaded down into 2nd hand market as owners of Falcons saw their resale value plummet.

By the time the AU hit the showrooms, Falcon prices (both new and 2nd hand) were low and affordable, but buyers were now wary. Ford had successfully flooded it's own market and destroyed it's brand. The legacy of this move (flogging off old models) carried onto the BA model run with lacklustre sales, further dispelling claims that it was the AU's styling that was to blame for the poor sales.

This is a bad move by the Perth Mint.

14. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Agree that it's not fair for people who have been storing these for what ..... (20 years now I guess) But it really should be the responsibility of the Mint to differentiate these or risk loosing credibility on future "limited" mintages. I know they are just bringing the numbers up to mintage numbers but it would only be as simple as adding a microscopic mint mark on the 2012 remakes so series collectors can then differentiate and the market decide the fair market price of the new coins. It doesn't have to be a privy but you look at all Mints around the world who make legal tender coinage they always put some tiny little mark somewhere to even show if it came from a different source or year.

15. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

You missed the chance to say 'they've gone kook-koo'

16. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Isn't it deceptive to mint coins in 2012 with a mintage year of the '90s?