you folks in Oz and NZ are lucky

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by itin, Jul 27, 2012.

1. itin

itin Member

Was just sitting here thinking about my silver stack, and it occurred to me that we in the US have access to many coins from around the world, but our only "local" coin is the ASE. And, to an extent, Maples and Libertads.

You folks have Perth Mint, NZ Mint and the RAM producing some great stuff.

Was talking with a fellow stacker at work the other night and jokingly said I'll have to move "down under" when it comes time to sell because most of my non-bar silver is from your countries!

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

There fixed it for ya... :D

3. itin

itin Member

Haha, nice.

I DO like my 2011 Kangaroo at Sunset though!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Silver is silver is silver mate.

Don't get caught up too much in the 'collectable' aspect of a metal - it's all the same once it goes into the melting pot.

As for being here? I wouldn't be too keen, this country has an average house price around a half a million dollars (and remember the Aud and USD are roughly the same value) - approx 8-9x the average median wage here.

Our economy is only being kept up by international demand for our minerals and we have one of the most corrupt governments in the world, totally reliant on ever increasing taxation to stay solvent.

You can't even legally own a fkn firearm in this country without restrictions out the ying yang.

Sorry, I don't get all choked up with national pride when I think of this country. As long as I bleed for this shithole, they leave me alone.

But I'm not so blind that I cannot see the bars of the cage they keep us taxpayers in.

5. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Grass. Other side. Greener. Or something.

6. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

yes, we are lucky, but with so much variety it becomes a real challenge to collect them all :)

I'm pretty sure a lot of the refugee boats do a round trip after dropping of their cargo, and if you find it so bad here maybe you could scrape up enough for a one way ticket to whatever paradise they are going back to?
    Your Australia may be a "shithole" to you, mine isn't. Life is what you make it.

7. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yup the grass is greener that's for sure.

I'll trade you interesting silver for affordable housing (Median US Bubble prices that brought down the worlds economy <$250k) and interesting affordable toys coupled with open carry laws for our interesting silver. We'll keep affordable health care thanks

8. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not to nitpick, but we're actually ranked 8th least corrupt country in the world. New Zealand is ranked first (presumably because they don't have anything worth bribing people for).

That's out of 180-odd countries.

9. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

We are lucky, for various reasons.

10. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I noticed USA at 18th. That means they are less corrupt than the other 90%?

Maybe we are too judgemental? Maybe Obama, Bernake, JPM etc. are actually good guys? :|

11. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

The corruption ranking is corrupt! :lol:

Australia is a great place. Not for any of the reasons you identify. There are a lot of issues with having (effectively) a single mint that is so far away from the majority of Australians delivery is often prohibitively expensive and the unit premium on its bullion products are about the highest around.

But we have a great natural environment to be enjoyed in uncrowed conditions outside of Melbourne and Sydney. Do yourself a favour and get over here before the rest of the world beats you to it.

Did I mention we are in the southern hemisphere, about as far away from the middle-east, north america and Europe as you can get. So when the usual suspects blow themselves up in a thermo-nuclear war, we'll be the last to die!

Think of Australia as your own bunker, without the bunker!