You couldn't make it up......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SteveS, Sep 6, 2016.

1. l***g

l***g Active Member Silver Stacker

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Roswell Crash Survivor

Roswell Crash Survivor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Texas actress gets 18 years for mailing ricin to Obama
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/16/texas-ricin-actress-sentenced/12744681/

3. Roswell Crash Survivor

Remember this? Released by Sarah Palin, a former Republican Governor of Alaska and U.S Vice Presidential candidate.

[​IMG]

4. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

5. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

You need to try harder Roswell, but you won't find any right wing celebrities/famous folks coming close to what these Hollywood lefties do, with the single exception of some stuff Ted Nugent said when Obama was president. So that is 1 right winger, where are the rest of the right wingers threatening a president (only talking celebrities here not the average Joe)?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/06/23/entertainers-who-have-joked-about-harming-trump.html

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...nvisioned-violence-against-trump-and-the-gop/

6. Roswell Crash Survivor

You're suggesting satire in entertainment is more of an issue than actual physical violence?

One of the targets Sarah Palin specifically named was Gabrielle Giffords, who was seriously injured in an assassination attempt in 2010.

7. Jim4silver

You think the guy that shot her did it because he was inspired by Palin's political ad? The ad was to get Republican voters out to vote in those districts. They were not being singled out to be murdered. Your argument is not even based on real facts. Read below why Giffords got shot. Nothing to do with Palin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared_Lee_Loughner

8. Roswell Crash Survivor

Remember Congressman Steve Scalise (R, Louisiana 1st District)? Shot and seriously injured during GOP team baseball practice in June.

If a Democrat had made a map of districts to target for campaigning in the 2018 mid-terms elections, with crosshairs over the name of Republican representatives. You'd definitely be blaming "commies" for their "violent rhetoric inciting political violence".

You are so partisan that you will always give your own side a free pass. You regularly adjust your perception of reality to fit the narrative that "my party is always right".

Killface likes this.
  9. Roswell Crash Survivor

Here's Republican former Representative Michael Grimm threatening to throw NY1 Reporter off a balcony, then threatening to break him in half, for nothing more than asking questions about an on-going criminal investigation into his campaign financing.

He was subsequently found guilty of felony tax fraud.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  10. Roswell Crash Survivor

Here's an ad Eric Greitens, governor of Missouri since Jan 2017, used during his campaign. He ran as a Republican.

Even for a US political campaign commercial, it's kind of over the top. You'd have to see this one to believe it's real.

What exactly does proficiency with heavy weapons have to do with ability to pass legislation and balance budgets?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  11. Jim4silver

And what do your last 3 posts have to do with right wing celebrities making threats of violence against a president? (which was the original inquiry).

I am not a republican by the way. I do support the 2nd amendment so in your mind that makes me a republican I suppose.

PS You should change your handle to "non sequitur" to be like your arguments.

12. Roswell Crash Survivor

#128 was a response to you.

#129 and #130 were not directed to you, they were examples of direct threats of violence (#129) and implied threats of violence (#130) against political opponents by elected Republicans.

13. Jim4silver

Roswell, you can actually argue in all seriousness that the ad for Gov Greitens (R) is in any way advocating killing (politicians or whomever) simply because he is shooting a machine gun as part of a political ad where it is mentioned he is a 2nd amendment supporter?

I am sure you are unaware that Greitens is a former US Navy SEAL (they shoot lots of machine guns in that job) and big 2nd amendment supporter, now governor of Missouri. That fact does not make such an ad seem too strange when done during a campaign for Gov and trying to get attention of the male republican base and other possible voters who like guns, etc. Missouri is a gun-friendly state so those folks would not be scared by seeing such an ad during an election I am guessing.

PS I will give you that the Palin ad is not appropriate because it could be interpreted to mean something, however I don't think when the ad was created it was meant to incite people to kill politicians. The guy that shot Giffords knew her and had more than one contact with her before the day he shot her, and had expressed bad feelings about her to acquaintances before he did it. He wasn't motivated by Palin's ad in any way from the public info on the case.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A Canadian man built steps for his community park, but the City of Toronto is angry that he went ahead and did so even though city officials had estimated the project would cost $65,000 to complete.

Adi Astl, of Toronto, is a retired mechanic who decided to build the stairs at Tom Riley Park, in Etobicoke, Ontario, after several people fell down the poorly constructed pathway that led to a garden, according to CTV News.

Astl paid $550 in materials and also received private donations. He hired a homeless person and together the two built the eight steps.

Toronto officials had estimated the construction of the stairs would cost from $65,000 to $150,000.

“I thought they were talking about an escalator,” Astl said.

Gail Rutherford, Astl’s wife, said the new stairs her husband built were already contributing to the city’s safety.

“I’ve seen so many people fall over that rocky path that was there to begin with,” Rutherford said. “It’s a huge improvement over what was there.”

Astl said he decided to take matters into his own hands for the safety of the community.

This was 'before' Adi Astl built a staircase. He says he got tired of watching people stumble down. @globalnewsto pic.twitter.com/xpi3zKy3Cl

— Caryn Lieberman (@caryn_lieberman) July 19, 2017
    “To me, the safety of the people is more important than money,” Astl said. “So if the city is not willing to do it, I have to do it myself.”

The stairs have been blocked off by tape and they will remain that way until city officials come up with a solution. Astl has not been fined and is not facing criminal charges.

Toronto Mayor John Tory said Wednesday that the estimated cost of the stairs was “completely out of whack with reality.” But, he added, that does not mean private citizens can skirt city laws.

“I think everyone will understand that it will be more than $550,” Tory said. “We just can’t have people decide to go out to Home Depot and build a staircase in a park because that’s what they would like to have.”

Tory added that the park does have a safe path and said the railing Astl built is reportedly unsafe due to an uneven incline.

Tory said he asked city officials to decide on a different estimate, one that is a cheaper.

“I think,” Tory said, “we all need to have a bit of common sense here.”

[​IMG]

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...-though-city-said-project-would-cost-65g.html

fosinator and mmm....shiney! like this.
  15. Roswell Crash Survivor

I'm going to reach straight to the heart of the matter.

Who going to be liable for the tort (civil law) suit when someone is injured because these steps were built by an amateur without qualifications and a homeless hobo he 'hired'?

How do we know he used suitable materials for construction? Where and who did he buy the materials from, was he buying from himself or a family member? Where's the disclosure of interests?

Where's the accessible wheelchair ramp for the differently-abled with signage in English, French and a community language?

Where are the permit and documentation he should have filed for receiving private donations for a community project? How do we know he didn't embezzle the rest of the funds?

Jim4silver likes this.
  16. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ Personal responsibility and initiative. It used to be a thing.

fosinator, Arch Stanton and JulieW like this.
  17. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

SOMETIMES the irony of a situation is too much to bear. As Bill Shorten delivered a rousing speech on inequality at a luncheon on Friday, the assembled audience were being delivered desserts topped with gold.

[​IMG]
    Dining at an inequality lunch, where chocolate desserts are covered in gold specks.Source:Supplied

The Opposition Leader’s speech, delivered in a ballroom in the Grand Hyatt Hotel to mostly well-off academics, public servants and media, marked a shift in emphasis for the Labor party – ranking the rich and poor equal first. The assembled crowd listened attentively as they spooned up the chocolate tart with salty caramel mousse and toasted hazelnuts, accompanied by gold leaf.

http://www.news.com.au/national/pol...n/news-story/520cd762db48954fbd0739361d6c3a11

18. Arch Stanton

Roswell,
    Your comment shows the reason why so many people are fed up with all forms of government. Federal, State, and Local. And all lawyers in general.
    Who was taking responsibility for injuries that happened when there were no stairs?
    Maybe if someone falls off the stairs, it is because they are clumsy, drunk, or stupid, and it is no ones fault but their own.
    (I know taking responsibility for your own actions is a novel idea)
    The fact that the steps were built for a fraction of the cost of steps with the attached government and lawyers should speak volumes.
    How about a sign at the top and bottom thanking the man who built them, and a disclaimer stating you use the steps at your own risk.
    If you don't trust the stairs to be safe, or don't trust yourself to be competent enough to use them, you can just roll down the hill.
    I am not arguing with you, because in the world we live in now, you are stating the truth.
    It's just that in a sane world it would not be so.

Argyria, samoth25, JulieW and 2 others like this.
  19. Jim4silver

Arch,

It is easy to blame "the lawyers" as folks like to do. But unfortunately those folks fail to realize that the attorney is representing a client. So why not blame the client for having the attorney do something for them you find distasteful?

It may sound good to folks to read what you said Arch (it all sounded good to me too), but unfortunately the world today is a complex place with laws in place to protect people and institutions from lawsuits, etc. Some may say those laws go overboard (such as in the stairs example), but if you let the local guy build his steps and they happen to fail, who is responsible for any medical damages caused? The City or municipality could be sued and they don't want the liability because they let some good ole boy build some steps cheaply. The steps could last forever and this would not be an issue, but you don't know that.

I can't speak for foreign countries, but in the US premises liability laws keep customers safe and help to properly allocate fault should some harm arise. Imagine if you went to a restaurant or store (or other public place), and the ceiling fell on you or the floor broke through as you walked on it (it appeared normal at the time) and had 10K in medical bills? Should you be responsible or the place you visited? It depends on your status as invitee, licensee or trespasser in the US generally what amount of "protection" you have. Since as a guest you can't fully inspect the premises to see if it is safe, you need the laws in place to force the business to do things right.

The good thing about this system is it dictates who is responsible for keeping things fixed and safe. How much do you think businesses would spend or do to keep things safe on their premises if there was no risk of them being sued. I can tell you, zero for the most part.

Remember, lawyers are your friends (for the most part). :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  20. Arch Stanton

Jim,
    I said I wasn't arguing with Roswell. I know he is correct. I am just saying how unfortunate it is that he is.
    I do, however, still blame the lawyers. If they had any ethics they would not represent clients who file insane lawsuits like the woman who sued the fast food restaurant because she spilled her coffee on her lap. Coffee is supposed to be hot, and if you dump it on yourself, it's your own damned fault.
    An attorney who wasn't just a moneygrubbing opportunist should just tell these people they are morons, and show them the door.
    Here in the US we are bombarded with lawyer adds for everything from bad drugs to accidents. It creates a culture of "it's not my fault, someone needs to pay me." I am old enough to remember when lawyers were mostly hired to defend or prosecute those charged with a crime, and for business and financial matters.
    It was rare for average people to sue for a living as many seem to be doing now.
    As for the stairs in question, although they are not the most attractive I have seen, they look solid to me.
    I'm sure the local government could get an inspector to spend 5 minutes to check them out...... for a few thousand dollars.

I just checked the news, and the offending stairs that the elderly gentleman built have been removed. They will be replaced with proper stairs at a cost of 20,000.00
    I'm sure the taxpayers will be relieved.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017