You couldn't make it up......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SteveS, Sep 6, 2016.

1. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Obama has already purchased a home to move to once he leaves office. The news did a thing on it. So Google it if you want to know where it's at. Yes he will receive protection. Most likely a "squad sized element". That's a military term that differs from branch to branch and situation to situation so that can be anywhere from 3-9 people.

2. SteveS

SteveS New Member

From the "Former Presidents Act":

"Former presidents were entitled from 1965 to 1996 to lifetime Secret Service protection, for themselves, spouses, and children under 16. A 1994 statute limited post-presidential protection to ten years for presidents inaugurated after January 1, 1997. Under this statute, Bill Clinton would still be entitled to lifetime protection, and all subsequent presidents would have been entitled to ten years' protection. On January 10, 2013, President Barack Obama signed legislation reinstating lifetime Secret Service protection for himself, George W. Bush, and all subsequent presidents."

Note that the act was revised while Clinton was president, removing lifetime protection for presidents that came after him.

Do you remember the outrage from the MSM because Clinton made sure he got lifetime protection while removing it for his successors?

Me neither.

3. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

Well that's comforting to know. Trump wont need SS anyway. I'm sure his current security will do just as good after his presidency.

4. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

This is so far out it could almost be an Onion article, but unfortunately it is real. Yes, the future of the US is f*cked. These are our future leaders. They can't handle the stress of finals? Wait until they get in the real world and have to support a family and pay bills, no safe spaces, etc.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=8477

Jim

5. sfstacker

sfstacker New Member

I'm sort of ok with all of this. By classification I'm a millennial but because of my age I'm one of the oldest in the spectrum of who falls into that group. So I feel I can rightfully disassociate myself with that group. I feel like an outsider looking in on these people and all I can do is look with disgust.

However, my roommate gave me some comforting information that she learned in one of her health and society classes. Think of the population as a pyramid. With the younger aged folks on the bottom and the older (ready to kick the bucket) folks on the top. Now flip that upside down. Because of science and technology people are living longer than ever. In the future this is going to create a large population of old people vs young. In my mind I'm hoping this creates a LOT of competition. For mates, jobs, housing, and just simple survival. Those who need these time outs and safe spaces will find that their options are drying up because those with a greater will to thrive will become the productive members of society. It's this scenario for which I'm hoping the laws of nature will cull these types of people from our heard.

And about the article, I take anything like that as serious regardless of the source. I'm bombarded with too much of this crap myself to question the validity of similar stories. Just the other day I got ANOTHER email about the health services available to me on campus. I also got an email from campus police (as did everyone) about having to take some kind of sexual harassment class. I believe the email also said its mandatory.

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Need to relieve stress? Get a puppy! You Millennials are so much more hip than we Baby Boomers, it was against the law in our days, plus the girls were more willing.

7. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"plus the girls were more willing."

DAMN! I must have been living in the wrong city!

OC

8. sammysilver

I grew up in East Sydney, between Hyde Park and Kings Cross. Plus, being a 51 baby, all my teens were in the 60s.

9. Old Codger

...and mine were in the '50s, well before 'The Pill'.

I remember them well!

10. col0016

col0016 Active Member

You know you've drank way too much Kool Aid when you don't think Fox News is a part of the MSM :lol:

11. sammysilver

The pill was the biggest game changer in history. It gave women equal rights.

12. Old Codger

.....and men equal opportunities!

OC

13. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s.../news/investigatory-powers-bill-a7447781.html

14. Jim4silver

15. MickeyG

MickeyG New Member

I like the main Idea. But I'm sure there are much better sources...

16. KiwiGreg

KiwiGreg Member

17. Jim4silver

Granted, Santa shouldn't have said what he did. But somebody needs to say something to the little fat kid. Obviously his parents aren't doing him any favors. Wait until he grows up, weighs 350lbs to have an intervention?

Obesity is the last remaining dangerous "addiction" (food) that is socially acceptable here in the US and is considered wrongful to criticize. If the kid was caught smoking a joint they'd throw his ass into rehab or worse.

PS For the record, I believe all recreational drugs (and fatty foods) should be completely legal (drugs, etc for adults). Just tired of the PC hypocrisy on this issue here in the US.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/12/07/santa-fat-shames-boy/

Just my opinion.

Jim

18. Jim4silver

19. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker