You buzzed?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by boneyard, Feb 4, 2015.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You have the power to delete your posts
    Once you no longer have it for sale you should delete it ;)
    And for those who don't have special powers to delete your own post
    You can use the report button & have your post removed ;)

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Delete the post or edit the thread without updating it

3. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree and disagree.

I think a buzz is definitely a "buy".

However a conditional buzz is not an absolute buzz. There may be terms that seller may have to agree with.
    E.g. I can't put the money into your account until next Monday when I get paid, is that ok?
    The seller may or may not be ok with that.

Can we meet face to face to save on costs? - this might not be specified in the sale terms and if you don't buzz it then you may miss out, however adding shipping to the cost of the item might not be worth it. If the seller is good with meeting face to face then that buzz must be considered as the item as sold.

We can go all out legal and look at contract law.

But seriously there are tons of reasons something may be conditional.

Going further... I'm overseas can you hang on to it for me until I arrive?
    Or there may be a detail about an item that is not clear...

A conditional buzz does not preclude another putting in a "back up buzz" and if the terms cannot be agreed to then the "back up buzz" gets the item.

IMO conditional buzz is completely legitimate as both a seller and a buyer. And a straight out buzz is an unreserved purchase meeting whatever the terms of the sale are, it is a sealed deal and if either party at that point backs out then it is broken and mud should be place in the eye as hygienically as possible but we all know it does become a messy affair. I had the exact thing happen with Nickybaby when I bought and Nickybaby backed out. There was retaliatory feedback left for me which was later appropriately expunged.

Experience and my2c.

4. phrenzy

phrenzy In Memoriam - July 2017 Silver Stacker

That's a good idea.

What about buzzing old threads though. How long is reasonable before the thread becomes obsolete and you should be along if the item is still available or available at the advertised price? And what about a recent thread during times of extreme short term spot changes?

5. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes I buzzed.

But, then I unbuzzed.

:rolleyes:

6. spannermonkey

I believe if a post hasn't been bumped for a week it's of the table ( only my opinion )
    I believe spot is irrelevant unless stated in the original post
    Just delete your old posts & all arguments are over

7. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What if a seller doesn't respond in a reasonable time frame? What is a reasonable time frame?

8. spannermonkey

:rolleyes:
    What if
    What if :rolleyes:

9. kezza26

kezza26 Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe that the Trade (weather WTS OR WTT) should state the conditions of the "Trade".
    This must involve the importance of the "Buzz" gesture, ending times and a fair description of the product being sold. Preferably a picture as well.

I think that if there is not a descriptive "conditions of trade" all is fair.

Suspecting and knowing are not the same and assumptions are a mother of all F*#k ups.
    Keep it simple and don't feed on those that are vulnerable. We are only human.

This is a topic needing a well thought discussion. I'm glad it has been raised.

10. SpacePete

11. SpacePete

Yup.

"Commit" has more implicit weight as a binding obligation.

"Buzz" is like you are buzzing around showing some interest. But to commit is to make a more decisive decision.

You could even add a commit button next to the submit button that would submit with a commitment icon or text, and would first popup a small dialog box with a very short message reminding the buyer of their obligation, and presenting two buttons: "cancel" and "commit to trade".

[​IMG]

You can still type in "buzz" indicating interest if you have a question. But if someone subsequently commits to buy then they have priority.

[​IMG]

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

if newbie or anyone else does not know what buzz means why use it....

13. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anybody pointed out that there is a BUZZ button for use here? Its next to B I U URL IMG QUOTE and YOUTUBE. If it said COMMIT or BUY then that would be the term to use but on SS its BUZZ. (and it was called KENNY for some time which was way more random than BUZZ)

I believe it was put there back in the olden days when there was often very high demand for items for sale here and you literally didnt have time to type the word before some items sold.

People should note there is no BUZZSUBJECTTOTHISTHATANDSOMETHINGOROTHERELSE button, you either buzz or type "PM sent" in the sales thread if you wish to negotiate terms and inform others of your interest.

14. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

I disagree with this point and posted (#23 in this thread) making "conditional buzz" clear, which is totally legitimate IMO.

As for the word "BUZZ" there's nothing wrong with it. But you could replace it with "ACCEPTED". Technically (there may be some legal eagles on here), I am pretty sure that acceptance in a deal is like sealing it, contract law is about "OFFER" and "ACCEPTANCE". But Buzz is totally fine, sure it is something to learn as a newbie, I can remember my "schooling" on the use of buzz, hahaha.

BUZZ = ACCEPTANCE

15. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Buzz on this forum is unambiguous. It sends a message to the seller and to the lookers. It should take precedence over PMs, even if a PM has been posted beforehand. The only thing that should trump a buzz is when the seller has posted a sold. Even if a seller is negotiating a PM sale, a buzz before finalisation should be paramount.

16. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the input.

Maybe the seller should state in the sale something like:

"BY BUZZING ON THIS ITEM, YOU ARE COMMITTING TO A PURCHASE"

17. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1 to putting it in the terms of the sale.

"Buzz in the thread or by private message (PM) if you wish to commit to making this purchase, if you would like to make alternate arrangements or ask a questions you can send a PM or reply in the thread. Buzzing takes preference over PMs."

However don't expect everyone to read the whole thing, particularly if it is a really good deal.

It does mean that if someone buzzes and then starts trying to change the terms you can give it to someone else without them whinging about how they buzzed first.

18. Belvedere

Belvedere Active Member Silver Stacker

Absolutely agree especially about precedence over a PM. I have buzzed things then been told I was beaten by an anonymous PM. I know half the time they have either changed their mind or were just fishing. Also, as was said, a 'buzz' should trump a 'conditional buzz' or a 'tentative buzz'.

19. SpacePete

There are some people who prefer privacy in their purchases rather than advertising it to the world. How do you accommodate that without PMs?

20. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If they PM a buzz and the seller posts "sold", they're good. You can't cater to everyone's wishes and foibles if they are sniped during this process which inconveniences the other stackers.