Xi-Shi Holding A Pearl - different metal different year

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by mmissinglink, Oct 25, 2015.

1. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I just realized something peculiar as I was searching through NGC's census reports on the spectacular Xi-Shi Holding A Pearl medals.

The brass and copper versions of the Xi-Shi are dated 2011 on the labels but the silver version is always dated 2012. Does anyone know why? I know that generally, bronze, copper, and brass versions are struck before the silver versions but I assumed that the dates would be all the same for a particular design regardless of the metal that particular design is struck in. Were the silver medals struck not in 2011 like the brass and copper?

Here's the census for the brass: http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/...cna-xi-shi-holding-a-pearl-80mm-coinid-996236

Here's the census for the copper: http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/...a-copper-xi-shi-holding-a-pearl-coinid-411418

Here's the census for the silver: http://www.ngccoin.com/coin-census/...a-silver-xi-shi-holding-a-pearl-coinid-994614

How common / uncommon is it where the silver version strike is indicated with a different year than the other metals? And is it because the silver medals of the same design as the brass or copper are actually minted in a different year or is it an NGC mistake?

2. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

i got one silver 400g

3. mmissinglink

That's another very interesting point now that you bring it up. Actually two points; 1) weight vs labelled weight and 2) uniformity of labeling / slabs.

1) The 2 silver Xi-Shi's that I sent off for grading weighted 440.93 grams and 440.97 grams respectively. That's more than the "13 oz" designation that NGC gave them (more like 15 oz). Even if you convert to Troy ounces, it's more than 13. The 400 gram weight that you note, Beyond, is actually close to 13 Troy ounces. It's not a big deal at all to me that they label "13 oz" even if the actual medal is a little more...just a curiosity.

What serial number is yours? My two are fairly low serial numbers, #18 and #20.

2) Some silver Xi-Shi's have the weight indicated on the label: http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=2798469-004 , some not and instead have the diameter and the serial number ("Y33" in the example shown): http://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/index.aspx?CertNumber=3628398-001
    And also notice the difference of the bezel in the holder. One has a cut out to view the serial number which is incused / stamped into the edge of the metal while the other holder has a full bezel obscuring the serial number.

Beyond, is your silver Xi-Shi NGC graded?

4. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I bought some of these in brass from thincat00 - beautiful medal. Never knew you could grade them!

5. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

i will check my coa number

6. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You need request cut out to ngc or send in the coa to them to indicate the coa no in label. Ngc is inconsistent of label and casing which not for xi shi only.

I have 4 silver ngc left with me if not wrong. 2 pieces sold with no cut off casing and no coa no on lebel. I believe other also the same. I have coa 50 and 44.

Let me check tonight the slab and coa to check the date.

7. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

Quite a weight difference in the 2 i have
    # 10 - 407.6 grams
    #14 - 441.65 grams

8. mmissinglink

You are not the only one who presumed NGC would not authenticate and grade these medals...quite a few people thought the same when the medal was first issued. It's produced by one of the major mints in China but it is not an "official" medal.

Official or not, it's a medal definitely worth owning in my opinion....the design and sculpt is spectacular and can best be appreciated in hand only (pictures don't do it justice).

9. mmissinglink

Interesting indeed.

10. andrewlee10

Is that brass or silver?

I still have 2 set brass and copper which I like to weight it this week.

11. TasAg

TasAg Active Member

silver

12. andrewlee10

wow 1 oz more is interesting.

I should weight my world heritage silver before grading. I have 6 set in early day BUT left 1 set NGC now and extra one for Beijing Palace and Shenyang Palace.

13. mmissinglink

Silver is fairly dense and these are large medals so it's understandable that there could be more than an ounce difference in weight between the silver Xi-Shi's. Besides, Xi-Shi's are not sold by the weight like 1 ounce or 2 ounce medals are but rather by the diameter I'm fairly sure.

14. andrewlee10

15. mmissinglink

You are right, Andy, these exquisite medals are not being sold by the weight and it isn't important to me that one is an ounce more than another.

They truly are masterpieces of art in metal...there's no better way to describe it.

16. andrewlee10

As found out 2 batch of production for this silver xi shi. This might be the reason of diff weight.

17. mmissinglink

I doubt that's the reason (because some early medals have varying weights just as later minted medals) but still it's interesting to know there were 2 batches.

Was the first batch in 2012 because NGC is indicating 2012 for the silver Xi-Shi's. What about the 2nd batch....also 2012 or later year?

18. andrewlee10

I do not get the details answer about the production time.

As I remember it is not many pieces available in the market in 2012. It show up around 20 pieces out of sudden in 2015.

I have 8 pieces NGC and 2 pieces omp acquire in 2015. sold 3 NGC PF69 and 2 omp. Left 5 NGC PF69 and 1 omp. Tintcat has sold some in ebay in 2015 personal tracking. I guess those are second batch or mix with first batch which hold by one person and release out in 2015.

I am not going to release those to market within next 5 months if financially okay or no new items eat up my cashflow.

19. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

I think in the beginning they have plans to make medals for 4 beauties. Maybe silver one was created later as brass and copper.

20. mmissinglink

I'd love to see the other beauties...a 4 medal series would be awesome!