Wuhan Quarantine - the biggest quarantine in history

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by TreasureHunter, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

The Wuhan Quarantine makes me think of an "Escape from New York" scenario.

Apocalyptic: 11 million people are locked inside a gigantic city and are not allowed to get out. Even though, the vast majority don't have the virus.

It's like in the movies. It's scary, but it's happening.

The things that are happen in the world nowadays are freaking me out. And I'm not the only one. Although, most people around seem to "accept" the news, as if it were some sort of a movie.

It's unbelievable: 11 million people closed up in Wuhan. If things turn bad in there, it could become a "hornet nest" (is riots break out due to humanitarian/security/financial reasons). It's had for them to keep living a "normal" life. Food supply chains, the economy, public security are all affected.

Plus: the overall atmosphere in Wuhan must be terribly grim.

Just my thoughts. What do you think?

Reference:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/opinion/china-wuhan-virus-quarantine.html
    https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/01/china-quarantine-coronavirus/605455/

sterling-nz likes this.
  2. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

China is making a HUGE SACRIFICE for the good of the world population.
    While it is really not possible at the moment to understand just how dangerous this strain is China is taking no chances.
    I would hope we could all agree that no matter how this turns out that China and their people are not to blame for this very natural occurrence of a new organism.
    I would hope people can see that China is no more responsible for the following deaths than the people of Marburg are for the deaths caused by that virus.
    I will hope for the best and expect the worst (ISH).
    The 3 new cases in Bavaria are quite concerning as that means it is more virulent than we were originally led to believe or that it has become so.
    On the plus side mutation in a virus can also have positive effects and make it less dangerous yet all the shit i have been reading and watching only care about pointing out mutation CAN be bad.

3. Michael Stevens

Michael Stevens Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Apparently 5 million or so fled the city prior to the lockdown being implemented.

slavaja and 66rounds like this.
  4. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Chinese people are making a HUGE SACRIFICE for the good of the Chinese Communist Party.

5. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

6. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Military personnels

7. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

5 million homeless Chinese that cant go home and no one wants them!

8. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From the archives. How Mao saw his people. I suspect the same theory applies in the current situation.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1964/1...mic-bomb-They-cant-kill-us-all/1653831424805/

Mao's theory on atomic bomb: They can't kill us all

TOKYO, Oct. 17, 1964 (UPI) -- Chairman Mao Tse-Tung maintains that Communist China has nothing to fear from nuclear weapons. But his people have paid a fearful price to develop the atomic bomb of their own. Mao is said to have told a Yugoslav visitor to Peking in 1957, "We have a very large territory and a big population. Atomic bombs could not kill all of us."

"What if they killed 300 million of us? We would still have many people left."

leo25 and Shaddam IV like this.
  9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would not put it past the CCP to weaponise this and make sure that plenty of infected people travel to the USA. Why waste a good disaster?

Oddjob and leo25 like this.
  10. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Well if you wish to put it that way id also have to agree.
    Perhaps i should have said ,The people of China are indirectly making a huge sacrifice for us?
    Just look at the western prepperverse and you will see that when the SHTF they GET OUT.
    If getting out meant leaving the country of residence they would do that and potentially spread the nasties.
    I was at the supermarket just an hour ago and some tourists from Chengdu were in there and the dude sneezed right into his hand and wiped it on his pants.
    Id normally not worry about something like that but felt compelled to try and find out where they were from.
    I jokingly went up and started the conversation by saying "you manged to get out ok before the drama"
    That is when he told me where they were from and that there was nothing going on in their area before they flew out last week.
    I didn't mention the sneeze or anything like that as i wasn't trying to be rude but in all honesty i was pissed off because i had the kids with me at that stage.
    Lets just hope it either dies out or is only as bad as we are seeing in the media and like catching the flu.
    It was this 35ish year old guy with a teen boy and 2 80+ year old women and you could tell by the way he was dressed that they were tourists , the Mandarin they were all speaking was a pretty good indication as well.
    I know very well that my thoughts were unreasonable but i had a building degree of anger that from when we walked into the super they were standing around the fresh meat section talking and picking stuff up and when we walked out 40 mins later they were still bloody there doing the same.
    If i have unreasonable bigoted feelings like that then Chinese people abroad are in trouble from xenophobia because as soon as he sneezed into the palm of his hand i felt grumpy and I KNOW it was not a reasonable feeling on my part.

Silverling likes this.
  11. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just a type of civilian version of the human wave attack used by the PRC in the Korean war.

Shaddam IV and sgbuyer like this.
  12. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just spitballing, but I wonder if this is like Aids, just needing a critical mass to take off. More a problem of over population than a viral infection. Like SARs and Ebola, we'll beat it until the next one pops up.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Chinese people are making a HUGE SACRIFICE for the good of the Chinese Communist Party.

The Chinese Communist Party is making a HUGE SACRIFICE of Chinese people.

14. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Certainly human population concentration and the use of concentrated animal husbandry make this scenario ever more likely until there is a change in the population density and or animal husbandry methods and conditions. These two scenarios are like creating perfect petri dish conditions and inoculating the medium with a variety of pathogens. Sooner or later you are going to get something consuming the medium i.e. humans.

15. openeyes

openeyes Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

16. TreasureHunter

Thousands could have had the virus.

GOSH. THIS IS LIKE A MOVIE!

sterling-nz likes this.
  17. TreasureHunter

Here's a low-cost documentary on how a disease-Armageddon could occur:

I watched it years ago. Seems realistic and many good points made in the film. Worth watching a few minutes...
    I hope this will never happen.

This corona virus event reminded me of this film.

Oddly, one-by-one, my work colleagues started getting sick starting the previous week. Flu-like symptoms.
    Pretty much everyone around me. Yeah, I think it's just a mild flu ;)

Still, it's good to stack food, water, vitamins, masks... etc. Just in case.
    It's best having them. If things continue to go well, you'll just consume them one-by-one, so nothing is lost, all is preserved.

sgbuyer likes this.
  18. TreasureHunter

Hopefully they're making the HUGE SACRIFICE for the rest of us as well!

It takes skills (and force) to close down a huge city with millions (poor people, my gosh).

This is like a modern-day plague quarantine. Remember the stories about medieval Europe?

sterling-nz likes this.
  19. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

I dropped a huge sacrifice about ten minutes ago. That mexican food got me!

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  20. TreasureHunter

Just came across this - interesting that not only in this video, but from other sources as well, I've heard that the situation is A LOT WORSE than the Chinese government is admitting. Foreign travelers from there tell of abandoned cities, barren streets, large quantities of dead bodies being transported.

We, "ordinary people" (yet, less ordinary than the "sheeple", so we're at least 1 step above...), we have no idea what the corona virus really is, how it works. We're not biologists.

But it must be very dangerous, because otherwise the Chinese government wouldn't have sealed off an entire city and they wouldn't take such extreme measures.

Russia has sealed its land border with China.
    Multiple European countries are considering to halt flights connecting with China.

SARS, zyka didn't make such huge waves. This corona thing makes me worry.