WTB: Electric furnace for silver

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by Jonasdundee, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Good morning,
    I am getting really hooked onto the silver stuff... Was thinking of making a few 10oz bars myself, as presents etc.

Does anyone have one lying around for sale?

I don't want to go propane etc, sounds a lot more effort to me...

2. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Thanks, I have seen the ads for new ones. Was looking for a pre-loved one.
    Cheers
    Jonas

4. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I suggest you start with MAPP gas (yellow bottle) it has the same fittings as propane (blue bottle) and start making 1oz and 2oz bars, if the interest persists than buy a furnace. Make sure it is 220v to 240v

MAPP gets hotter than propane and the initial “torch” cost $10 more and each bottle in packs of three cost about $3 more than propane. Also once you have MAPP you can use it with blue propane bottles but there are warning about using propane torch fittings with MAPP yellow bottles.

Even if you get an electric furnace you will still end up buying MAPP or propane anyway to conveniently warm up the mould etc. and sometimes smoothing out the bar and all other gear is the same.

Also I doubt you will find an electric furnace that fits a 10z bar at an economical price, and you will want to re-pour some bars ie bad/ugly pour

note melting a 10z bar would need more than one MAPP torch likely two too.

Ps welcome to the forum “Friend’ I have my hand up for that friendship 10 oz bar :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Argentumiser and 66rounds like this.
  5. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

MAPP is the best. The torch head I've got is also amazing, I'll see if I can remember where I got it and link accordingly.

Also furnace-wise, there's 2 main types to consider. The type with the insert able crucible like the one listed is the cheaper option. You can even find them listed even cheaper. But the square type with the door is a lot more flexible and can contain different sized crucibles dependant on your needs. More expensive though.

You can try checking out greys auctions, I've seen them on that website before

66rounds likes this.
  6. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

ah okay, this sounds like the 'bucket furnace' concept might be the way to go then? (Get a bucket, line it with fibreglass, drill a hole, put the torch in) Saw some build videos on youtube. The guy said though to make sure the torch head doesn't melt away...

I was thinking of developing a cool mint stamp... Something like 'Australian Explorers Mint, Sydney, Australia', with a somewhat stylised Australian coat of arms, with date, and serial number, etc., maybe aged as well to bring out the coat of arms. Maybe even something like a series, every year a new motto - but not lunar, that's been milked I guess. The 10oz ones are nice clunks in the hand... and maybe 2-5oz in batches for special events...? Every guest at the wedding gets a shiny and unique silver bar...

7. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Miniroo has done a few videos on this subject.

66rounds likes this.
  8. Bullion_ron

So has sreetips (mainly metal refining dude) he uses Oxy-Acetalyne for his melting of things

Jislizard likes this.
  9. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big fan of sreetips, I havenet seen all his videos but I havent seen him make a 10oz bar. It is mostly 1 ounce or shots.

Bullion_ron likes this.
  10. Jonasdundee

Jonasdundee Member

Ah nice will look at his videos. Would love to refine but that needs a proper setup with all the poisonous gases etc... Oxy was too complicated for me, and not needed for silver assuming you have the right insulation. even propane burns hot enough, it is a function of time and insulation then. I went Ultragas for the first try, which takes some time but that is also because I am not quite sure about the settings of the burner, how much gas, how far away from the silver etc etc. For a larger amount one definitely needs an insulated foundry otherwise you don't get the metal hot enough as it transfers the heat too quickly to the crucible.

Built my own little foundry last weekend with reclaimed firebricks. Now waiting for a proper propane burner and bigger crucibles. In the videos they all have glowing crucibles and not just the silver itself - probably needed for a nice pour. Will update on progress!! :)

11. Bullion_ron

yeah he does more gold than silver refining, think thats why his go-to is Oxy. Cody's Lab has an entire series on metal refining if youre interested, plus Cody is awesome.

Jislizard likes this.
  12. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try preheating the crucibles and moulds, will help keep the metal liquid as you pour

harry_mr, slavaja and Argentumiser like this.