Worth Getting 2013 Pandas at 37.90 each

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by 1for1, Dec 21, 2012.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have recently phased out getting PM product and didnt pick up the 2012 panda as it seemed like a far higher mintage and local demand appeared to of subsided.

Is it worth picking up a sheet for 10 at $379.00 ... seems like a decent price -- Are these as popular as they were in 2011 when it was pandemic?

Design is decent, how is demand.. i know supply has increased.

Should i just wait for the price to drop and buy then like i can the 2012's now?

Also.. how come the old gold pandas are only worth spot when the old silver pandas have risen so heavily.. anomoly?

1for1

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think that is a decent price if it is in USD, I dont think personally this will be one that will become a high premium coin with the high mintage but I will get a few of these. Main thing you want to check with the dealer and make sure they are free of any spots. One thing you never know is if in the future you find a rare variety , the Chinese mints seem to be notorious for this whether by chance or design?

3. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The higher mintage is a good sign, it's indicative of increased demand.

$37.90 is a decent price.

I doubt the price will drop. None of the other Panda years have.

In regards to gold Pandas:
    i) Not all old Gold Pandas are worth spot.
    E.g 1/20oz 1998 Gold Panda is worth around $2000USD.
    E.g. 1oz 2000 Gold Panda is worth around $8000-$9000USD.
    ii) China Mint is encouraging the local purchase of Gold Pandas over Silver Pandas.

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, its in AUD$ , that would be a great price in US$, cheap as chips!

Sealed pandas would always be free of spots wouldnt they, i can see a reaction happening with the plastic eventually but it wouldnt be immediate would it?

1for1

5. Staz

Staz Member

No, i'd leave them alone. Buy bars.

6. sriblo ag47

sriblo ag47 New Member

Exactly. :rolleyes: Since you're a the big critic of modern coins, or coins that have premium we would advise you to buy bars and only bars. :rolleyes:

7. Staz

Staz Member

:):)

8. gerald

gerald New Member

I wouldn't assume that, though I have never purchased a sealed Panda (silver 1oz are no longer individually sealed) when I was buying 2012 1oz Ag Pandas last year I found that around 2/3 had spotting.

I recently searched though nearly two sheets of 2010 1oz Ag (50+ coins) and could not find one that was spot-free.

Because of this I am very hesitant about buying ungraded silver Pandas sight-unseen.

9. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Nothing is 100%. I've had a GOLD 2010 Panda with an ugly brown "copper" spot but I paid near spot for it and NCS removed it for me (thanks jc/NCS!).

Oh and yes it was completely sealed and part of a sheet of 9 other Pandas. The other 9 were fine though :/. Pretty new Panda year too so yeah.

As for Silver, I've never had a spotted Panda. Yet. Hope it stays that way. (Sealed and graded and unsealed).

10. Catseye

Catseye New Member

That is why developing a relationship with good dealers is important.
    A good dealer is like a brother.

11. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

But if the milk spot develop more than a year after you buy it. I think nobody will accept returns.
    I never saw in person a white spoted panda. But yesterday i saw 4 wildlife canadian new coins (2 antelope and 2 moose) spotted. And i think they spotted inside airtite capsules while shipping (more than 21 days to arrive to my home
    And i trust in the dealer.

12. upandaway

upandaway Member

Not sure if I'm reading too much into this but a couple of dealers (European) I buy from regularly have just cut the price of 2013 silver panda by about $3 AUD. I have never seen this before but confess to only following pandas since 2009. Considering how long they have been out and the fact the 3 bears appear to have gone down well may be a sign of weakness on take up?

I'm very tempted and the fact they are now below the 2011 price by about $2 means that I may buy these instead. If we carry on down a little lower on spot that will be a cracking buy for me.

Just wondering if this 8 million mintage is starting to trouble the market?

13. Unasf

Unasf New Member

The 2012's have a high incidence rate of spotting, but the 2010 NGC slabbed coins are surprisingly clean.

I tend to wait a year before buying a coin to give it time to develop its weaknesses, so that I can avoid them.

14. Justfishin

Justfishin New Member

I have found the reverse---the 2012s have been perfect----the 2010s I graded turned spotty...

15. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Same with me , I guess it depends on the batch but I had really bad luck with white spots on the 2010 silver pandas , although I had many coins from several mints in 2012 with spots as well, Especially the Perth mint had white spot problems which were very limited before I thing they just threw Quality control out the window trying topumpout all the dragons.

16. gerald

gerald New Member

That's interesting, the same dealer where I was searching through the sheets of 2010 also had 2 NGC slabbed (MS68), both had spotting but not as bad as the raw coins.

17. gerald

gerald New Member

Canadian SML's are notorious for white spotting, did you ask your dealer if they had any spots prior to purchasing?

18. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

I not need to ask
    I buy four not spotted coins
    ;-)
    The others i have in the wildlife canadian are spot free (wolve, grizzly and other)
    I dont buy silver pandas in bullion after 2010. I think is better buy oldest or ms70.

19. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very unlikely... I had the opportunity to interview two coin industry people today:

Mr. Wang, who is the Vice President of the Chamber of Rarities in China, and Mr. Pei Fei (a coin dealer in Shanghai). Both were very bullish on continuing demand for Pandas.

To quote Mr. Wang (and I have this available on video for those who would like to confirm):

"With improvements in the standard of living for common people, more and more people are choosing coins, stamps and antiques as an investment vehicle. There is so much potential for future growth.

Regardless of high or low class, demand is strong (for collectibles) from all people groups (in China)."

I think the 8million mintage is going to be too low soon :)

20. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Not sure about Silver but I've been trying to source 2013 Gold Pandas through dealers in HK/China and been told that there's an increased amount of requests (compared to 2012).

Now the dealer might have a conflict of interest but I've already had business with them before and was planning to buy anyway regardless of what they said... so yeah who knows.