World Coins - Do you collect ?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Austacker, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Howdy everyone

I have a heap of mixed world coins etc... I also get a few batches a year. Most is old not in circulation etc...

What I would like to know

* Is there a country you collect
    * If so any ERA
    * What would be something to look out for
    * Is there anything you are looking for

In the interest of my sanity I am struggling to sort and catalogue, so help me out send a PM if you wish. Just a generalization would be good.

"NO SILVER" I doubt there is any there. I will take a photo and show you some of the bits and pieces. I do realize majority are not worth a lot but if I can help someone out that would be good.

2. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

Do you have any euros

3. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Yup heaps :)

Well heaps in my Study a few kg of mix I would think easy.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Most mixed world coins seem to be sold by weight.

Half the fun is sorting through them but most are not worth the album space.

I have collected world coins in the past, usually if I am visiting a new country I will keep one of each type of coin, possibly for each year.

Now I only really look out for the error coins as I don't have space to store lots of low denomination, low value coins. I guess if you can recognise a commemorative coin for a country it might be worth pulling out.

To be honest the last lot of mixed coins our club had were given away to kids in small bags at a local market in the hopes that they would get interested in coin collecting.

Having said all that I am on the look out for early modern greek coins.

5. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Thanks Jis

I agree and totally get where you are coming from. The fun is in the search and then you are left with, well not a lot of fun.

Could you assist in what Greek roughly perhaps some links maybe. I do have some that I think are Greek however foreign languages are not my thing.

I am not sure on the Comms either as you say. However I do notice some that seem a little different. I try to put variety and differences seperate and do more research on these. Things like Singapore coins have heaps and I doubt any of them are worth anything. You can't know every rarer coin in a country. Well I know I can't.

I will try and put what I think are the Greek ones together and take a shot over the weekend.

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cheers!

I have a few books from foreign countries but when you atart getting into the varieties then you would never get any work done.

[​IMG]
    Source: http://colnect.com/en/coins/coin/4464-1_Drachma-Drachmai_-_Circulation-Greece

The word across the middle starting with a triangle is Drachma, the old unit of currency. Around the rim you have a word starting with E and then two raised eyebrows, That's Greek for Greece.

If you do find some I am happy to identify them for you even if I don't need them :)

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

^^^ I now have a task and focus at least yah :)

Awesome thanks

8. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I think this is the modern version ? Have no idea but modern dated. Just checking I am on the right track.

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/181_img_4900ss.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

9. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

It has happened many times before so I am withholding any excitement but you mentioned commemorative, do you mean like these ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. iLOVsilver

iLOVsilver New Member

11. Byron

Byron Guest

Austacker,

Re your Greek coins.

All modern except perhaps the 5 drachma one with the 2 giants with clubs holding the shield with a crown on top.

It bears the inscription of "Kingdom of Greece" not the "Hellenic Republic" like the other ones. It was minted during a period of constitutional monarchy. The Greek govt later on exiled the King and Royal family and proclaimed a "Republic".

What is the date on that one?

12. gazzahere

gazzahere Member Silver Stacker

hi all,

if anyone is interested in Dutch coins I will be sorting through a reasonable collection in the next week or so - if you want something particular let me know and I will keep an eye out. A lot are silver and a lot are not. Many from colonies, but most are from Holland itself.

have a great easter, please feel free to pm

gazza