Workers locked out, 600 jobs gone as 1st Fleet shut down

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Guest, May 3, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/work...t-shut-down-20120503-1y04c.html#ixzz1tlAqcq6Q

2. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And yet the newspapers have been running articles for the last 2 days saying how the "new rich" in Australia are the guys wearing orange and yellow hi-vis workwear.

They probably all voted Labor too.

3. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

4. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

But Swanny says the economy is super strong right now - you're not calling him a liar are you?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

This will be a common scene when the carbon tax castrates Australia's competitiveness. Jobs will be exported over seas hand over fist.

6. RetardedMonkey

RetardedMonkey Active Member Silver Stacker

Optus also announced they're cutting 750~ jobs over the next couple of months.

7. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Don't worry fellow SS members, Isn't Woolworths taking on 10,000 workers?.. Then there is all the fast food outlets. They always need flippers and friers.

Regards Errol 43

8. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I hate doublespeak.

"working closely" means "We called the TWU and told them 'your problem now'".

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Nothing surprising here. I have been around long enough to remember that this is what life is always like under a Labor government. The blue collar workers are even starting to figure it out, hence the current approval ratings of the government.

10. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I really feel for the workers that commit years to a single company and they don't have a job the next day.The Company Laws regarding the obligations of directors need to be enforced to the letter.

How can a director seriously not breach the requirements not to be trading insolvent one day and then the next day hide behind an Administrator or Reciever.

ASIC are a total fucking joke .

In the old days the Unions would support the displaced workers with real cash backup however now they have no cash as the Union bosses have spent it all on Hookers and Dodgy kickback deals with worthless consultants.

11. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The workers were paid for years by the company they didn't do it for nothing. We need more laws to bankrupt more companies, never mind the hard labour mob will not succeed in getting blood from a stone.

They have pulled the plug because of the insolvency laws that would send them to gaol if they continued to trade. They were unable to secure further funding...their bankers said no more money

Instead of paying union dues they would have been better off using the money to stack bullion. Just think 20 years of stacking instead of paying the hard Labour mob.Lets see they might be able to dream up more penalty rates to drive a few more companies to the wall.
    Serves those silly directors right; for paying the penalty rates right?:rolleyes:

12. BBQ

BBQ Member

Would be nicer to know the WHY of these job losses (ie. to know more than they just couldn't get more funding).

The bigger picture behind it.

For all we know it could just be a badly-run company from the top-down, rather than an indicator of a bigger problem in the wider economy.

Could :)

13. KMGeneral

KMGeneral Member

From what I hear the job cuts will be coming from all levels, not just management as some reports are making out: http://www.smh.com.au/business/optus-to-cut-750-management-jobs-in-restructure-20120502-1xzfn.html

It's also interesting to note that this isn't the first time that Optus has cut jobs in recent history, just last year they cut "senior and middle management jobs": http://www.smh.com.au/business/optus-axes-180-management-jobs-20110727-1hzxs.html
    I know some of the people who were let go and let me tell you, they weren't managers

14. Byron

Byron Guest

Craig Thomson, what a disgusting piece of s**t!

Let's hope voters boot this turd out at the next election.

15. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Blame the Government! You do realise there will always be a Government, maybe just maybe it was bad Management of the Company.

16. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Didn't something similar happen to a once great nation who had the industrial force to be a deciding balance in a World War. Now they manufacturer practically nothing. They seem to be doing pretty good these days though, don't they.

17. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This sort of stuff should give people more faith in the ALP ...... not. :lol:

The Talented Mr Shorten:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFELLK8htKM[/youtube]

18. Prior

Prior Member Silver Stacker

Think I was just lobotomized by YouTube.

19. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Excellent! I actually thought he was a comedian joking about the stupidity and obfuscation abilities of politicians. I had to look up Bill Shorten to check what he looked like before I could believe that was actually an Australian parliamentarian.

What can you say about just how dire our situation is after seeing that? I don't think there is anything that could over-exaggerate the mess these people are making.

20. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Classic!

That could have been a Clarke and Dawe sketch. :lol: