Woolworths - bunch of wankers

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Crowley, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Crowley

Crowley New Member

I went to woolworths a couple of days ago and bought an item for $6. I gave the cashier a $10 note and asked the girl for 2 x $2 coloured coins for my 2 children. She said she could only give me the coloured coins if they come out in the change. She drew 2 coins out and none were the coloured $2, however, it looked like all the others were coloured but she would not give me one.

Today I went to woolworths and bought and item for $4 and gave the cashier a $10 note and asked for change in $2 coins, preferably coloured ones for my children. The girl said she could not give me the coins as she had to give me a $5 note and $1 coin, management rules.

Guess which company has know lost my business and I will now go to coles.

Bunch of Tossers

2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

$10 in lost revenue, I'm sure they're gutted. :p

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. Crowley

Crowley New Member

yep, I am sure their share price will drop by 0.000000000000001 cents.

Take that Woolworths

kiona and mmm....shiney! like this.
  4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They are only doing it to promote the brand, and they can't even get that right. All they have to do is give away a coin they got for nothing in the change of the customers. Most of the customers don't even know or care so they need to look after the ones who do.

I asked the girl at my till for a coloured coin in change and she tried to offer me a sealed bag, I told her she would get in trouble as the policy is only 2 per customer per transaction. She then proceeded to give me change but then told me she didn't have any more coloured ones. Apparently they forgot to tell her she could open the bags.

I ended up buying the set in the end, I don't go shopping often enough to make an additional trip to Woolies worthwhile.

5. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I went to my local Woolies last week and bought 2 of the coin sets. Also grabbed a few groceries and asked if I could get a couple of coloured coins in my change. The girl was very wary of the request and said she was only allowed to hand out two coins per customer. That's fine, could I please have two of them then. She gave them to me but seemed a little reluctant. I got the impression they'd been thoroughly grilled about handing them out in volume. And they were possibly also warned about potential coin hounds who might go from checkout to checkout trying to get extra booty :rolleyes: You have to remember lots of the the checkout operators are just kids of 16 or 17 and don't want to lose their job.

I'm sort of on the fence with this one. In a way Woolies has a right to limit the distribution, it's their promotion after all.

6. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rejecting people who respond to the promotion kinda defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place though, doesn't it?

Okay, so knocking back requests for whole bags is fair enough, but if someone bothers to ask for the coins in their change then that shows they're engaging with the business in exactly the sort of way it should be pleased with. Holding the coins back so they can be given out to people who couldn't give a toss either way seems a bit strange, especially when it's "just money" as far as Woolworths is concerned. Well, unless the managers are the ones selling all the bags on eBay...

7. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

bang! You just hit the nail on the head. I totally agree with your statement

8. kiona

kiona Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^^^ Fair points A.D.

Perhaps though, the over the top withholding of coins in this promotion might be a direct response to the greedy grabs of previous events? I can remember reading somewhere about stores having none left within hours/days of release because a few people went around grabbing as many as they could get hold of. These folks aren't collecting for their kids, they just want to make a profit. What gives them the right to take a lion's share?

9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I still cant wrap my head around a private corporation acting on behalf of the mint. Did Woolies pay for these coins to be made?

10. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They probably would have paid something to be the exclusive distributor, but Woolies (and Coles) are some of the biggest users of cash in the country and they're one of the main ways the RAM (and the RBA) get new currency issues into circulation. e.g. if you ever use the self-service checkouts, 99% of the $5 notes that come out are brand new, straight from the printers. Prosegur and Armaguard handle the logistics of moving money around and counting it so it's not hard for the RAM to get a particular batch of coins to a particular brand of supermarket.

11. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Send me a PM mate
    I got spare loose ones (one blue and one pink) that I can give away for you :)

12. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My wife goes to Woolworths and returns with 10 coloured $2 coins at a time. We literally have so many of them I've told her not to get them anymore.

It helps if you're nice to the cashiers. ;)

13. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Correct! I've got every time between 2-5 coins at any cashiers if you really,really very politely.

14. silverbait

silverbait Active Member Silver Stacker

I got some as I knew the lady worked there.
    Also I was hesitant as she might get a caution for handing out $2. The front desk manager is the biggest b#$@ :) she might grt into trouble.

I have no mercy for Woolworths or Coles or Aldi. Big players just killing the farmers protits and abusing their power.

Also I dont get how come Woolworths can get a special coin from mint. Is this even legal? Why cant we get some? As a silverstackers community we can get some bulk and get profits?

If they really need to circulate them they can separate them and send from mint as mixed.

madaw1 likes this.
  15. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Coin club member wanted to know why the mintage for the Olympic coins was not on the RAM website, this is their response

To be honest, I am happy that Woolies have the distribution rights. The RAM charges $10 postage for anything, and if they were selling those coins I would expect to pay more than $10 per $1 coin and around the same for the $2 coin, you would be looking at a $50 - $60 set if the RAM was selling them.

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  16. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

I've bought 5 sets from RAM for $15 each so the set cost me /incl. postage/ $17 not $50-$60.

17. The_Roll_ Man

The_Roll_ Man Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"oh, can I have that purple ring $2. just sitting on the top ...?"
    "thanks for that ..."

Walks away with a $30. coin as change from buying 'milk & bread' ....

( not as good as the gold sovereign posing a $1. coin story from Woolworths though ... )

18. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Wasn't woolworths, it was the Spud shed ;)

The_Roll_ Man likes this.