Will 'The Great Recession' come to Australia?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just like Julia Gillard re-defined the word "misogyny" Alarmists have re-defined the word "science".

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

"Off Peru there is upwelling caused by the surface temperature falling below the lower temperatures."

Please explain? Both hot air and hot water RISES.,ever seen a boiling saucepan?

"Don't forget water at the poles are almost freezing while at the equator they warm."

Only for the first few 100 feet! NOT 12,000 feet down! It is (near) FREEZING down there! Yes there are warm currents all over the globe we all know that, but they are not that deep!

I think I know who is trying to kid who!

OC

3. Resetrequired

Resetrequired New Member

So you think if each molecule of water within the top 100 feet got slightly warmer, could it slightly expand? Of course it could. Like I said, I don't have a strong view either way re rising seas but I can see merit in the arguments (not that the scammers said anything about expansion).

4. Old Codger

5. Resetrequired

Resetrequired New Member

Very mature. Proven wrong. Taking your ball away.

6. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

May I ask how long ago, Reset, you did your BSc and ecology studies. As a matter of fact that's where I started my tertiary studies, unfortunately. I'm an accountant now, and still paying off the HECS for the useless degree.

Anyway, you sound like you did many of the same subjects I did! Well we only got a brief expose on domestic issues like dryland salinity, localised waterway gorge erosion and the state of rivers like the Murray-Darling. Far too much to talk about such as Asian aquaculture and the North Atlantic cod fisheries collapse and as I said 'The Silent Spring'. This was all viewed of course through the lens of the biases of the lecturers.

I mentioned Landline. When I finished up all my studies I found I was learning more about the Australian environment through watching a few episodes of Landline than in that 4 years of study. So I went out bushwalking to see the world for myself, and made friends with some farmers - at that time I realised I'd spent 4 years in a Science course without speaking to one (not even 1!) farmer or fisherman or oyster man. I'm lucky enough to have lived in grazing country a few years ago.

Make sure that all these issues you are concerned about, you have seen the other side of what you're talking about. How many farmers do you personally know who have salinity problems? Have their remediation efforts over the last 15-20 years worked? What new ideas have been pushed by CSIRO that didn't work compared to just planting salt tolerant species and managing the local water table where possible? How many timber workers have you ever spoken to, and gone to their replanted lands they're setting up for their children? Do you know that there are now more trees in Australia than before White Settlement, through our lack of burning compared to the Aborigines. I bet they didn't talk about things like that.

7. SilverSaviour

SilverSaviour New Member

That is very interesting, I would like to hear in more detail your knowledge on these issues

8. Jim...

Jim... New Member

Arrh the old BS detector out again.

9. Old Codger

Yep, some people have one, and some don't.

Which reminds me, that Sydney bridge is still for sale, and the reduced price MUST end Friday

Be quick or you will miss out.

10. Resetrequired

Resetrequired New Member

All that makes about as much sense as your position on global warming. None. Proven wrong, have the dignity to accept it.

11. Resetrequired

Resetrequired New Member

" I found I was learning more about the Australian environment through watching a few episodes of Landline than in that 4 years of study".............. Haha. Very true, but at least we have the knowledge base to take more of it in. I hear you Anglo, there's a lot of BS out there, driven by vested interest. However there's also a lot of real issues that get no airplay for exactly the same reason.

I've done bugger all with my degree also, but was lucky enough to get one of the most sought after careers in Aus as a result I guess. I did work in enviro industry for a while and saw some devastating environmental degradation. Farmers telling me how much things have changed. I also saw lots of GIS (remember that?) that showed massive changes over the decades. Now I'm an armchair observer, watcher and listener. Like I keep saying, why would we risk populating when all the environmental pressures are probably or even could be real?