Will the 5oz 2011 Lunar Rabbit be rare

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by Silver Bullion Boy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

Hi, I have been hearing that the 5oz Lunar Rabbbit is going to be a low minted coin and a hard one to find in the coming years, is there any truth in this?

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

I think it will be because of the rumor but we wont know the final mintage until it is released from the mint which realisticly could be up to a year, i think it takes that long at the mint for them to do the math. Lunar series are very hard to predict but in the past they have all gone up in value so i dont see any reason why it wont be true with these. You really have to be patient though , I have sold so many of these like the ser. 1 2oz tiger and ser. 2 1/2 and 2 oz mouse when no one cared a rats ass you couldnt give them away and look at the price to get your hands on one now in new condition. I always just have faith in the lunar series it has always been good to me , but I have learned that they are very hard to predict what will be the next hot one. The dragon ser. 2 was the only one i ever saw go down in price and what a fiasco that was , I am guessing it may be similar with the snake and horse so be careful.

3. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

Just got into Lunar coins, so thank you very much for the info!

4. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Try the 5oz colorized rabbit, now there will be a tiny mintage.

5. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

5oz koala proof with coa i like

6. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

5 oz bundy n coke for me in a pint glass

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

5 oz color rabbit, I have not seen one of those yet must be rare although the color rabbits so far have not had alot of interest but that of course can change.

5oz koala proof , I bet it is a cool one but a sore spot with me I odered one from the mint only to have them refund my payment explaining that they made a deal with usgovmint (nothing to do with the actual us mint and a shady company in my opinion) giving them exclusive rights in the us for these and of course like the 2010 high releif kangaroos they just send them all to be graded then gouge the hell out of the customers. If someone has a good source for these (2011) I would like to know.

8. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

I think they kept 500 for aust market and shipped the rest to the US. aust ones have box and coa and US dont are are being slabbed.

9. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Got a 5oz Colored Rabbit looking at me now:) About $400 from memory, nice coin !

10. ninteno

ninteno Member

I think the coloured ones will never have the same success like the BU series. Look at the 5oz Mouse. Maybe the rabbit could have a lower mintage than the mouse. I am nearly 100% sure the mintage will be lower than ox and tiger. We have to wait. All i know is that the normal rabbit was only sold in 2010. Whole year 2011 not one piece from PM. Within a few days after PM said they stopped 5oz and 10oz Rabbit the price (5oz) climbed from130 ( that was spot +20..25% ) to nearly 220 and all dealers were sold out. At the moment private people sell them at around 170. Dealers have no stock. You can be sure price for the rabbit will come much higher in future ( if PM does not cancel the 5oz series for next following issues )

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

QUote ( if PM does not cancel the 5oz series for next following issues )

This is something i am concerned about like they did with the 1/2 kilos . I dont know how it would affect the price but personally I like to 2 oz and 5 oz the best so I hope they dont cancel either of them. The only reason I could see is if silver triples or they do not have enough interest when some of the less desirable issues like the pig and monkey come out.

I sure would like one of the 5 oz proof koalas that is too bad the way they did that deal.

12. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I stay away from coloureds, sticking to BU and occasionally proof (in the case of Dragons).

As for the 5oz BU Rabbit, I think the mintage will be much lower than Tiger, however will it be as small as the Mouse or Ox? I don't think so. Still, I have a few tucked away.

13. rbaggio

Well, it appears the market things I am wrong. I have swapped a few of my 5oz wabbits for 5oz oxen in the past few days.

Interestingly, I don't think there was a single advertised sale of a 5oz ox on this forum in 2011. However in 2012, it's like they have all come out of hiding.

Thoughts?

14. ninteno

ninteno Member

@rbaggio - if you are not in trouble to get more oxen, hold your rabbits. With the view back in a few years, the design of the ox
    is no so beautiful and i am sure the rabbit will have the lower mintage.

15. rbaggio

16. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Damn sold my 5oz mouse too cheap.
    Someone on SS was the lucky buyer :)

17. PeeZapp

PeeZapp Member Silver Stacker

I hope all this from above is correct I am putting together a 5oz set and have all of them so far except the dragon but that will be minted again soon (I Hope)