Wildlife in Need or Dragon of Legend?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Cinvalo, May 4, 2012.

1. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Hey guys i was planning to collect Wildlife in Need series and skip the dragons. However the Black Rhino seems to be a disappointment.

Conversely , dragon of legend series seems to be doing quite well after the release of the chinese dragon.
    I finally brought my Red Welsh Dragon yesterday and quite happy with it. Struggling for at least 5 times whether to buy ;)

Which type do you think i should go for guys? I definitely going to go for collecting 1 set.

2. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I am going for the Wildlife in Need series.

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Are you collecting for investment?

If you are collecting for pleasure then get both if you like them and neither if you don't.

If you are collecting for investment then the fact you can still buy the first coin in the series should be a clue.

Personally I would avoid pad printed coloured coins which do not commemorate any special events.

Of the two, if any of the endangered wildlife dies out, you have a coin to remember it by.

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Only coz of the panda? :lol:

5. Cinvalo

Cinvalo Member

Depends on future price offered. If it is a double. I might consider selling. But I am more than happy to collect them and display in my room. ;)
    I am just testing my vision ;)

6. yennus

At least 1.3 billion recognize the Panda :) ... but I'm also for the Polar Bear :)

7. silversardine

silversardine Member

Errrr....hi-jack...... http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_rhinos/?rc=fb&pv=65 If any one can add their ''name'' here would be great! 750 000 names, need 1 million for the next step.

C'mon, help save a rhino! Join in the cause!

You could just go to the site and watch the names clicking over, but now it is slow - I was watching when I signed it a few weeks back - it was quite fascinating to see people from all over the world adding their signature and to see the numbers go up, several hundred in minutes. This petition has been pushed for weeks by a very dedicated group of people all over the world but I have never shared it anywhere. You can use a psuedonym and country - I say as if anyone will actually do it.....but still can always hope.

Moving on....

The black rhino in particular has a very good chance of disappearing from the natural environment soon enough. Whether that would see an increase in the price of the coin I don't know - not enough people are even aware these animals are in trouble. And, in this case, that it is not an environmental issue but a deliberate poaching issue with criminal elements.

By that reasoning the lunar tigers should all be worth heaps just based on the loss of the tiger. Dragons on the other hand still seem to be propagating and still will be till the end of the official dragon year. And, they don't even have to be Chinese anymore.

I'm not a fan of the printed coins either, have a few but think I'm done with them and series. I was disappointed to see that the art in the series was mostly digital anyway. It is a great skill to have but to me it is different from the art done the old way.

8. yennus

Hmmmz... some people have been doing some Rhino Horn stacking.

9. silversardine

silversardine Member

Most definitley! One of the big issues is that of whether to legalise trade of existing stockpiles. Some people have been farming rhino for years and stockpiling the horn which they cut off by using a chainsaw with the rhino under anasthetic. They say it is to help dilute demand by releasing it onto the market and that it will stop poaching. But, of course they will amke money out of it so there is another agenda. Also, legalising trade just plays into the idea that rhino horn has some useful purpose beyond being on the end of a rhino's nose.

The worst thing is the cruelty - if they just shot them and dealt with it that way it is still not good, but then at least it is over and done with for the animal. But instead they often dart them, hack off the horn below the nose and leave the animal to die in extreme pain, with a maggot infested head, many days later from issues of circulation from lying on their side too long. Females with young - the young die too. Rhinos who have been dehorned in an effort to protect them still get poached for the stubs that remain. The people involved range from vets to game rangers gone bad to local villagers used as informants. Many of these rhino are known to the game rangers and guides or private reserve owners so it is personal as well as environmental. Rhino are a keystone species - if they go the ecosystem will change.

There is actually an Australian ex- army, who set up an Anti Poaching Unit by training locals and applying army training and skills to saving rhino and other species that are regularly poached. THis is not just a greenie issue.

http://www.iapf.org/en/ His name is Damien Mander - this is his website. There is an interview that appeared on The Project on the site as well if anyone wants to get an Australian perspective from a tough guy!