Why Interest Rates Are Soaring

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by hawkeye1, Mar 1, 2021.

1. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Probably this is the reason why Elon is hyping up cryptos. His car business is losing market share worldwide. Maybe he wants to transform Tesla into a crypto company? :)

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ford-mustang-mach-e-stole-sales-from-tesla-in-february/
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...claims-top-spot-in-global-ev-race-11614621780

Shaddam IV and GOLD1 like this.
  2. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

I lied. We have SDRs as part of our reserves, as well as forex, gold and whatever we lend the IMF. Sorry. :oops:

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 8.45.42 pm.png

leo25 and 66rounds like this.
  3. mmm....shiney!

It seems you can't read a news story now without inflation being considered a dead-set cert. Not everyone is betting on it though:

https://citywireamericas.com/news/w...contrarian-calls-and-inflation-fears/a1463641

4. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe he hadn't heard about the 1.9 trillion that just was passed haha. All inflation.

There will be much more inflation before the end of the year as long as it keeps working.
    Everyone has a different opinion and some just plain seem blind.

5. mmm....shiney!

Every one does have an opinion. It's easy for anyone to sit in an ivory tower, (or cabin in the woods in the US) and become completely detached with what is happening in the real world because their opinions are only formed by what they see at the end of their nose.

And bond yields are dropping, the inflation mania of February will slowly drift from memory and be replaced by something else.

6. JohnnyBravo300

Yep bond yields are dropping because the massive inflation is working. Market dynamics.
    If yields keep rising inflation will continue into the trillions of course.

Theyve been back and forth alot lately. Quivering I'd say.

7. mmm....shiney!

I’m talking about price inflation not currency inflation.

8. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

House prices across Australia (even in country areas) are in high demand and prices are going through the roof. We have a pandemic, lowest interest rates ever in history, still unable to go overseas, some companies/businesses closing and money printing like there is no tomorrow and good old Aussie housing is booming like never before. The biggest problem for investors is where to put their money, seems like real estate is one of their preferred choices. I just can't believe it, some properties being sold before they even hit the market. I don't know how this will end.

jultorsk likes this.
  9. JohnnyBravo300

Oh yeah prices have gone up for some things but nothing too crazy that weve seen. Mostly cheese and meat price increases for us over the last year have been bigger. Everything has gone up a little bit at least.
    For low level poor or elderly on a tight budget it's probably more noticeable.

We always keep track of our expenditures like that but some people dont even do their own shopping or dont pay attention.

Rent, mortgages, raw materials, stocks, tuitions, healthcare all highly overinflated worse than ever.

10. Silverling

Hey @JohnnyBravo300 how much would this house go for in the USA?

This place is 120 kilometres north of Sydney and about 100 kilometres south of Newcastle. It's a 1.5 hour drive to Sydney. It is a timber home, not walking distance to water or shops, you need a car. It is in an old established suburb. Sold for $780,000 before even hitting the market.

Screen Shot 03-14-21 at 09.35 AM.PNG

jultorsk and 66rounds like this.
  11. mmm....shiney!

Would depend on whereabouts in the US, just like here. That house would be late 300 - early 400G where I live. Probably around $380K

Silverling likes this.
  12. JohnnyBravo300

I couldnt even guess. The markets vary so widely between nowhere Nebraska and California.
    Between 300k and 1.5 million might be a range in the US.

Back home in Topeka I can buy a house in the ghetto for less than 10k but the same house in a ghetto in Denver might be 90k.

Alot of that probably has to do with demand. No one moving to Topeka, thousands moving to Denver.

Silverling and mmm....shiney! like this.
  13. Silverling

I see, it's a big place like OZ. I was hoping for prices somewhere similar (in between 2 big cities about 100 kms either side in a middle class older suburb). The point I'm trying to make here is that housing is going up so fast and beyond inflation it isn't funny at all. We are getting rampant inflation on house prices, other things not so much so. Under normal circumstances (pre covid) I can still fly to USA and Europe for the same prices as I did back in the 80's. We have mortgage rates at under 2% and government handouts encouraging more and more buyers into real estate, fuelling the ramp up even more. Now some idiot politicians are contemplating allowing people to be able to access their Super (401K) to be able to buy a property. This of course will only drive prices up even more.

yuripuka, 66rounds and mmm....shiney! like this.
  14. JohnnyBravo300

I've heard of alot of people with ruined credit now with the moratoriums and forbearance. They are being reported as missed payments so refinancing is not an option now.
    It wasnt supposed to hurt the credit I thought but its turning out otherwise.
    It's just another ring in the circus now!

It started about the time our "representatives" became our "leaders", leading us off a cliff.

Yes real estate has probably risen the fastest here in the US too compared to other things

Silverling likes this.
  15. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

13:41

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  16. mmm....shiney!

https://alhambrapartners.com/2021/0...ur-global-inflation-tour-chock-full-of-normal

17. mmm....shiney!

As Anthony Pompliano argues, central banks have outlawed bear markets in traditional assets. As soon as there is any hint of a crash in the stock market or RE, CBs inject cash into the system in order to support the high levels of debt carried by the private sector.

jultorsk and Silverling like this.
  18. mmm....shiney!

19. mmm....shiney!

20. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

One of my past time is to check the prices of properties in different countries. Outside of the inhumane to live in hk, the prices in Western Europe are the craziest, not even talking about houses, but old walkup apartments. I remembered searching for apartment prices in Dublin during the PIIGS financial crisis when practically all the banks are bankrupt, and they were not cheap at all. Furthermore, wages in Ireland are not high by OCED standards.

Another aspect is property taxes. Property taxes in the US are insane so most probably people can't afford a million dollar property which is actually a normal price in many countries. Personally, I don't see the logic in paying more for a home when it costs so much to maintain. Better to use the spare cash for some business or dividend earning stock.

Silverling likes this.