Why do you stack what you stack?

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Terry88, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Terry88

Terry88 Member

Initially, I started joined stacking silver as a hobby and store the value for family and children.

Now, there re many ways of collecting. Such as only pamps, lunar series, bars, combine gold and silver ratio play, gold coins, silver coins ( kook, koala, lunar) , overseas , brand names etc then there is the different sizes.

Personally, i try to collect any silver thats near the spot price but now I look especially for silver lunar coins.

So, how do you stack? Hope generates an interesting discussion. Cheers.

2. Ouch

Ouch Active Member

I stack as a form of protest against the current banking system and the big pay packets/bonuses the criminal bankers grant themselves year in year out even in the aftermath of the GFC.

For silver, I stack 1kg PAMP bars and 1 oz ABC Sydney bars for gold although I made a mistake in my first gold purchase and bought a 1oz Lunar rabbit. I want to keep my stack plain and simple with not much variety as I don't want to fall in love with gold or silver either.

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Love IS a problem.
    I forget the movie:

She want's to get married
    Is she in love
    Yes
    Oi vey. If you're in love with them it only makes you miserable.

Warning. Venture not into numismatics. Like becoming a teenager again. Nothing but misery interrupted by short bursts of elation usually accompanied by guilt. lol

4. duplo

duplo New Member

I stack both gold and silver to protect the value of the money i earn. I plan to keep the gold for as long as i can, but with silver i'm hoping to offload some of it as the price rises, and buy gold with it if the GSR is favourable, or some other asset class if opportunities exist elsewhere.

Like RepublicOfSilver, I avoid the numismatic stuff - some of those coins are just too damn pretty, and I don't want emotions to get in the way when i sell.

For silver, I buy 1kg PAMP bars, and 1oz Kooks.
    For gold, I buy 1oz PAMP bars, 1oz Kangaroos, and a few 1/10th oz Kangaroos

5. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

A marriage of sorts, by the read of it ? Exception: You can be totally possessive & only the wallet gets hurt :D

6. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

I stack to protect assets and also for security.

PM's are liquid and if this forum is anything to go buy their are always buyers and sellers on here who are keen.

For silver i stick to bars 10oz, 20oz and Kilos, for coinage Silver eagles and round 1966 50c.

I try and keep clear of lunar, kooks and koalas, not my cup of tea these days and not good bang for you're back when accumulating.

For gold i prefer 1/4oz, 1/2oz, 1oz and full sovereign coins.

I still stack 1/10 maples and gold eagles but i stay clear of 1/10 or 1/20's Aussie kangaroos or lunar.

I am keen to get more gold biscuits / bars in the future as these seem a bit more value for money.