Why did Perth Mint stop issuing Koala/Kook 1 oz Silver Show Specials?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by GreyGhost, Jan 11, 2015.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

I collected these steadily from 2009 through 2011.
    Berlin Show, ANA, FUN shows all had special 2 silver coin carded specials with serials# limits during these years.

Ex; http://www.perthmint.com.au/catalog...a-and-kookaburra-1oz-silver-two-coin-set.aspx

Then they went with single colored issues heavily with 2012 lunar dragon which many collectors loathe (at least in the US, colorized coins are very unpopular)

So whats up Perth Mint? Bring back double Koala, double Kook or mixed 1 Oz show specials!

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What I'd really like to see is ANDA or FUN (Florida United Numismatics) coins which have been graded to no less than MS69.

I think there's a good market for carded specimen coins that are graded and the card packaging is numbered (Like the FUN).

Unfortunately the current carded Koala coins are not numbered which is a bit of a shame.

And...on the subject of carded coins, I'd like to see Perth produce a carded coin set with the current years coloured and UNC bullion Koala coin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

There's a Berlin WMF single 1oz Kookaburra special at the end of this month, but it seems the double is dead for the moment.

4. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I thought the colourised coins (2012 Dragons) were quite interesting for the coin shows, a different colour for each show. Sadly you could get the coins directly from the Perth Mint website for the same price (Except the sell-out 2oz Perth Show coin) which makes the whole idea of a coinshow special pointless, there was nothing special about them (except the packaging) and you didn't have to go to the coin show to pick them up. And they were available as components in other sets.

It was fun collecting each coin from the shows but ultimately pointless. I have the coins, and the 9 coin set and now I just have to keep the boxes somewhere so they don't lose their special status.

I never found the coin show specials to be that special unless you are a collector of cardboard, I have some but there is not much that would make me want to attend the shows other then the "Mint Your Own" coin press.

5. SilverScrat

SilverScrat Member

6. SilverScrat

SilverScrat Member

7. GreyGhost

GreyGhost New Member

the cards + the coins = really nice presentation. Perth Mint..please reconsider... (no colored bullion either!)

[​IMG]