Who swapped out silver for gold at 1kg:1oz?

Discussion in 'Gold' started by goldpelican, May 5, 2011.

1. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAKsMnAM8vk[/youtube]

2. Bulawan pilak

Bulawan pilak New Member

I sold silver, brought gold and now the POS is going back up faster than Gold......go figure.....

I certainly cannot work out what the story is. The stories I have heard so far....

Gold is now going to have its run...... hasn't happened
    Silver will drop to about 28 - 30........ hasn't happened
    GSR returning to previous 50's.......... hasn't happened

I tripled my stores of Gold, but still feel crappy about selling Silver. I think depression is setting in..... I don't want people to feel what I am going through, but I still want silver to drop in price so I can buy.

3. 25Grizzlies

25Grizzlies Member

You and CK know I didn't! still it was better than 70:1 ;)

4. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I wanted to swap my silver for gold when silver hit $45 but didnt have a chance because I was overseas the whole time. Darn...

5. Luna de Cuba

Luna de Cuba New Member

I sold 1kg of silver and bought an ounce of gold when silver was $46-ish. Then bought another 120oz of silver when it dropped to $30-ish.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I will not consider swapping silver until the paper manipulation in silver is exposed, when it's a mostly physical silver market the gsr should return to its historic ratio (which is about the same as the gold to silver ratio that's in the ground)...and event then silver has more industrial use than gold so the ratio could go even lower.

I like staring at gold in my hands more than silver but rationally I cannot swap at this ratio.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

......I still buy gold though, can't help my self :rolleyes:

8. Comper100

Comper100 Member

I swapped too when Silver hit $45, complete luck but not complaining :)

9. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I gave up 32 silver maples for 4 x 10 dollars gold maples, lost C$10 nominal value there :)

10. philipz

philipz New Member

only after the fact did i even know that i could have swapped the 1kg silver for 1oz gold, so have decided to keep the GSR handy the next time it happens depending on how the rise happens. I thinks its a good idea to swap between the two depending on how your feeling. If you want to feel safe, swap silver for gold and if you want to excited, swap gold for silver. in that way your never in paper.

11. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

I like Gee Wiz's thinking.

I don't quite understand why some of you are so quick to exit silver for gold at this early stage. Just because silver got ahead of itself a bit in a mini-mania, doesn't mean that this thing will not go a lot further. I understand that it is the only commodity that is still below its 1980 record price. If this is the case, it becomes very obvious just how much further undervalued silver is than gold at this stage. For those who are looking to create wealth, silver is the place to be at this point. Gold creates too, but is more recognized as a preserver of wealth. I am looking to move into gold in increments, but when we get closer to the historic 16:1 ratio. I also believe that the fundamentals of the silver market indicate that silver and gold could come close to reaching parity or even... (!), but I do seriously wonder if that will ever happen, as supply should be distinguished from demand. They are not always the same. People's perceptions of value and even government interference could keep such a thing from happening, just to name two examples.

But for those who are already into silver, I don't think anyone needs to rush to get out. We've only just started, so I don't think it's about being 'greedy' at all.

Best

12. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Preciousmetal, if you had swapped your silver for gold at 33:1, then swap your gold back to silver at 45:1 ... You have just increased your silver by 30%, without spending any fiat.

You don't think this is a good (albeit risky) strategy for some?

It all depends on why you have silver, and your goal.

13. Preciousmetal

Preciousmetal New Member

Yes, if you can carry this out, then I agree that you've done well. But as you stated, it is risky. One other thing to take into consideration. Where I am staying (Saudi Arabia), the physical price didn't go down all that much at first. Premiums remained very high, especially for PAMP bars. With time, the selling prices have begun to resemble the spot prices more and more. The point being that, depending on your geographical location, you not only need a sizeable price correction to play that type of (risky) game; you also need the correction to stay in force for a long time.

But how about the people who just want to rush out of silver and into gold at this early stage. Don't you think they might have wanted to hang on longer, at least for those who were in silver in the first place?