Who got their Bitcoin Cash ?

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by southerncross, Aug 3, 2017.

1. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Heh. The more I read, the more cynical I get. The miners 'supporting' BCC may well be trying to smother it; there are some disparaging articles about the developer's motives and follow-through (or lack of it) http://fortune.com/2017/08/07/bitcoin-cash-bch-hard-fork-blockchain-usd-coinbase/ ; and I for one am very uneasy about the wallet situation - a fork of Electrum sounds a tad dodgy - keys are not to be risked unless you are prepared to follow Southerncross, and burn all affected BTC wallets afterwards.

2. BuggedOut

BuggedOut Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No.

The next key decision point is the 2MB hard fork. It (among other things) will determine emergence of congestion on the BTC network. This is what determines whether BCC becomes an attractive alternative. It could be 6 months, it could be years, it could be never.

3. BuggedOut

It's important to be able to identify misinformation. That article is a hit piece. If nothing else the Blockstream connection should be setting a red flag of vested interest.

hyphenated likes this.
  4. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is SFA risk if the Wallet you link to/use to "claim" your BCC is empty of BTC, as long as you don't intend on using it ever again. IE delete it and your Private key AFTER / once you have had your way with it and got your BCC/BCH loaded on the new EleTRON Bitcoin Cash Wallet.
    Electrum was/( and Still is) a great secure wallet, and one of the first I ever used for BTC and LTC, the only problems you will have claiming your BCC/BCH with the ElecTRON wallet is if you leave your BTC in the same ElecTRUM wallet you intend on grabbing your private key from to claim your BCC/BCH on the new ElecTRON wallet as it will automatically overide your existing Electrum wallet on your computer.
    If you have moved your Bitcoin out of it previous to downloading ElecTRON, then you are safe as houses, just download the new ElecTRON wallet and let it overide your empty ElecTRUM wallet, it will record your history and leave you with your BCC/BCH whatever you want to call it.

(Edited to add): I have had zero issues at all with my existing Exodus and Myetherwallet since, which I used to send my BTC both to (ElectTRUM) and back from again after the Fork from my 4-5 years old updated Electrum wallet before downloading the ElecTRON wallet and claiming my BCC .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    hyphenated likes this.
  5. BuggedOut

LOL, just saw this post on Steem :-

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@lily-d...ng-hit-pieces-in-fortune-against-bitcoin-cash

Sometimes it feels good to be validated like this. She uses the same term and identifies the same red flag :)

6. Ilikemetals

Ilikemetals Member

I'll be holding mine for a while longer. Lots of future growth on both chains, goody!

7. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's crazy in any market but most people should be at least 50% up on this, 10 days!

8. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Turned out to be a pretty good deal if you got them for free and bitcoin is now at a record high today.
    I'll probably just hold mine long term. If they drop to zero, no real loss.

9. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

Ye cats. It took me an inordinate amount of time to get the Bitcoin cash downloaded - days. Finished last night. The private key inserts were a partial success - I replicated my Exodus wallet contents and transferred them via Changelly to ZEC. This took less time than I thought, but there were several hours getting six confirms for the exchange.

The keys for the Electrum wallet turned out to be more complicated. I'd entered the wrong ones. I had to dump all the Electrum keys and find all the non-zero balances (in my case five). You then have to go in via the Bitcoin Cash wallet console, which is a tad scary, but you need to know that entering a private key will immediately trigger a rescan unless you add rescan=false at the end of the line, thusly:

walletpassphrase "your wallet passphrase here" 600
    importprivkey "your first key here without the quotes" rescan=false
    importprivkey "your second key here without the quotes" rescan=false
    importprivkey "your final key here without the quotes"

This is critical as it takes several hours per rescan. I created a notepad of the commands and keys and made doubly sure it was spindled, mutilated, shredded, deleted and over-written afterwards.

10. southerncross

Wowsers, all I did was send my BTC to an old updated Electrum wallet I've had for years, sat out the fork, gave it 24 hrs then sent my BTC back to my Exodus wallet. Downloaded the Electron wallet and it automatically overode the empty Electrum wallet leaving me with my BCC/BCH sitting there in it.
    Didn't even have to enter my private key and it took about a half hour to sync.

Deleted the old Eletcrum wallet and can just open a new one if ever needed. The Electron wallet still holds all my old transaction record as well.

11. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

I get selectively anal-retentive when it comes to crypto security - as we all know, the only safe computer is one that is turned off, unplugged, isolated behind a tempest-grade Faraday cage which has been set into a concrete block that is dropped into the Marianas Trench and guarded by mutant laser giant squid.

Gullintanni and southerncross like this.
  12. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

...besides, I only found out about free coins after the split o_O

13. hyphenated

hyphenated Active Member

OK. Done and dusted.

To summarise, if you have only now realised that your holding in Bitcoin on August 1st entitles you to an equal number of Bitcoin Cash coins, and the wallet you were using does not have a easy means of extraction, you can copy your Bitcoin keys to a Bitcoin Cash wallet, transfer or exchange the Bitcoin cash, then delete the wallet.

There are several ways to do this, with varying degrees of risk. My route was to use a Bitcoin Cash wallet that needed to download the entire blockchain (139 Gig, around a week) but had the advantage of security. Having loaded the keys, transferred and exchanged the funds using Changelly, I have now deleted the Bitcoin Cash wallet and blockchain, recovering 139G of hard drive space. I have also transferred the Bitcoin funds out of the wallets whose keys I used.

I may get back into Bitcoin Cash, but only when a 'reputable' wallet solution is made available.

14. southerncross

Whoa , that would be like over three times my monthly on peak data allocation right there.

15. BuggedOut

BCH now trading on Poloniex.

16. Kam

Kam Active Member Silver Stacker

I had a tough time importing my Elctrum wallet private key into Elcectron cash to get my BCH as I had 2fa enabled on Electrum and it messed up things
    Had to import using the seed and disable 2fa then point Elctron to the right servers so that it is on BCH blockchain
    Now going to archive my wallet file and forget about it

17. STC

Go you good thing!!

18. BuggedOut

From 292 to 644 on Poloniex in just 24 hours.

There is a good story why if someone can relay it. I can't ATM. It has to do with a spam attack.

19. southerncross

20. STC

Spam attacks stopped, blocks found & transactions clear.
    Searching for more info